Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Chicks - Gaslighter (July 17,2020) Album • Page 2

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by iCarly Rae Jepsen, Feb 18, 2020.

1. vidiviciveni

Trusted

This is what I came here to say lol

Hell even a decade ago try explaining that the guy from Steel Train would be producing the new Dixie Chicks album while the singer from The Format would be doing a duet with Pink

Fun. really opened up the world to these guys

irthesteve likes this.
  2. radiodead

Trusted

I’m still a little confused I suppose by all of the delays. I get the idea of touring behind a fresh record. But. When every artist dumps all these delayed records around the same time.....I mean who is going to be able to process all of these. It’s gonna be chaos.

3. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

It's more than just the touring aspect, a lot of artists probably had a TON of different events planned, bands like Dixie Chicks no doubt were going to have some sort of marketing campaign leading up to the album, etc etc etc.

Some artists have shifted their plans (All Time Low, Dua Lipa), but not all artists can or want to do that. Sometimes the labels want something for them, sometimes the band wants it, who knows...

It's gonna be weird when we get to the second half of the year, it certainly is going to be very chaotic

radiodead likes this.
  4. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

Especially for a band like Dixie Chicks it makes since. Its been how many years from their last album? They want to be in control when they release it, not scrambling to adapt to a chaotic time.

5. irthesteve

Yeah, it's a really tough time for everyone, but I would imagine after so many years they don't want to just kinda put it out without fanfare, if it really came out in a few weeks it would feel pretty underwhelming, I honestly had forgotten about it over the last month or so

6. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

yeah bands can't do promo and also can't ship out physical media

bradsonemanband likes this.
  7. plus no one is gonna be able to tour for like a year - I dunno it all seems pretty short sighted to delay an album release

and to your point all these bigger artists are gonna be competing at the same time for chart positioning now.

it just seems shitty - what difference does releasing it now and releasing it in June or July make?

adapt or die

radiodead likes this.
  8. Bane

The spiciest meme

"it seems shitty to let an artist control how they release their piece of work"

woof

9. Sure that was a selfish statement by me and not what I meant entirely - probably meant it’s just shitty strategy - release it however you want to but whether it’s now or June it’s not gonna make a difference

right now is a great time to seize whatever moment there is with people at home craving any sort of entertainment

instead they will all be releasing around the same time and competing for the streams and purchases with other bigger artists

10. Bane

The spiciest meme

I mean to be fair I feel like Dixie Chicks have dug themselves a specific niche that they would still do fine

I get the thinking behind why not release it now while it's empty but like others have said there's probably way more going on behind the scenes than any of us really know, so I can't begrudge an artist for pushing back for any number of reasons

11. Don’t country fans hate them? Haha

Bane likes this.
  12. Bane

The spiciest meme

But that's what I mean, the specific niche is more pop-ish fans picking them up as retaliation/support for the country music scene ditching them lol. Nobody will ever forget how dirty they got played all those years ago.

13. Right but they’ll be competing with every other big pop album over the summer - that’s my overarching point

nothing is gonna change between now and then in terms of touring or whatever so I don’t get the delay - if any of these artists do some fucking incredible marketing thing that results because of a delay then I’ll tip my hat to them but I don’t see it happening.

I get that all these delays have to do with touring but these artists need to grasp that touring isn’t happening for at least 8 months

JRGComedy, solxace and cherrywaves like this.
  14. Bane

The spiciest meme

I definitely don't disagree with that, but again I just really don't see the point at getting mad about a delay if the artist so chooses in these times. Their feelings and plans for their music > my need to hear it as soon as possible honestly.

Drew Beringer likes this.
  15. I agree with that - I’m not mad per se cuz there is a ton of music to listen to as is - I just think it’s short sighted

16. irthesteve

I think it's a bit out of line for any of us to act like we have ANY idea at all what is best for the band, their album, and their label. We are not privy to anything at all and we shouldn't act like we have any idea what would be good or bad for them.

17. radiodead

Trusted

Again, I think we can have a discussion on a discussion board. No one is filing peteitions for bands to release their music. It’s an unprecedented event. And we are working through why bands should or shouldn’t release their albums. That isn’t harmful.

TJ Wells likes this.
  18. djwildefire

Trusted

On first listen, not too into this song, especially compared to “Gaslighter.”

19. irthesteve

iCarly Rae Jepsen and Contender like this.
  20. irthesteve

Woooowwww this song is fucking great

21. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

Mary V likes this.
  22. TJ Wells

Trusted Prestigious

I’m fucking obsessed with this song. Wayyyy more than Gaslighter. Holy shit I didn’t expect anything like this

23. irthesteve

It's pretty amazing

24. Matthewconte

Trusted Supporter

Damn I missed the postponement announcement and went looking for an album today. This new song is great, though

25. Matthewconte

Trusted Supporter

Depends on what you mean by "country fans." If by that you mean 'people who only listen to the radio and live in 2006' then yes. If by that you mean 'anyone else' then no.

ChaseTx, Drew Beringer and irthesteve like this.