Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Car Thread • Page 9

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by jorbjorb, Apr 5, 2016.

1. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

It's actually gone 243

2. subplotofcrows

A Grand Scene For A Color Film Prestigious

Was gonna try and get a new engine for my 2002 Celica but general consensus is that it's more trouble than it's worth so I'm back to buying a new car again. Waiting for a good deal to come along.

Jdaniels likes this.
  3. Iain

Regular

Got a new company car last week and I am loving it. Volkswagen Golf Match Edition. 25 miles on the clock.

jorbjorb and Ferrari333SP like this.
  4. jorbjorb

7 rings

I love VW's. Clean simple interiors are great.

himynameisiain likes this.
  5. muttley

"Fuck you, Peaches!" Prestigious

I saw a GLI recently and loved the way it looked. Every time I think about VWs, I remember that scandal the company had where the cars weren't "green" or whatever. Buncha' scumbags.

Ken and jorbjorb like this.
  6. jorbjorb

7 rings

I think they owned up to that now. No more diesels are sold. It's kind of unfortunate because those diesel engines were super fuel efficient and had plenty of torque. Plus they lasted forever.

muttley and Ken like this.
  7. subplotofcrows

I was really down with VW because the GTI is such a fun car, but VW reliability pretty much pushed me away from owning one. Add that to the Dieselgate scandal which took a lot out of the company's reputation.

Ken and jorbjorb like this.
  8. jorbjorb

7 rings

VW's are all about maintenance. If you follow the maintenance schedule in the manual on time it will last forever. I think people that claim VW's are non-reliable are people who didn't follow the maintenance schedule. Toyota's/Honda's are more forgiving. I've seen people not do maintenance for over a year with over 200,000 miles on those engines. They're just more basic and can take more abuse.

subplotofcrows and Ken like this.
  9. Ken Aug 31, 2017
    (Last edited: Aug 31, 2017)
    Ken

entrusted Prestigious

I had a GTI for 3 years, a 2011 mk6. One of my favorite cars. 0 reliability issues. The only issue I had with the car (prior to it being totaled in a hail storm) was when a squirrel put a nut in the gearbox linkage. In short, I would reconsider. I'd have bought a new one or a Golf R if I didn't find such a good deal on a used BMW.

muttley, jorbjorb and subplotofcrows like this.
  10. subplotofcrows

I'll probably give them another try while I'm shopping around next month then. I just checked Autotrader and there's a few 2015 models in the $15k range with around 40-50k miles which is in my budget. I've just heard horror stories and was always told not to own a VW for the long-term that colored my opinion of the brand, regardless of how much I enjoy the car.

jorbjorb and Ken like this.
  11. Ken

entrusted Prestigious

Hmm. I've always heard the opposite, but you could be right and I could be wrong. I think it partly depends on the previous owner. Maybe get it checked out by a mechanic you trust before making the purchase? I'm glad we at least convinced you to give them another try.

jorbjorb likes this.
  12. subplotofcrows

I'm probably bringing along my mechanic and my track friend to check out whatever I'm seriously considering. It'd also be nice to get something with some kind of extended warranty. As jorbjorb said, a lot of it probably has to do with maintenance, and I think some of that has to be preventative such as the water pump and whatnot that are known to go earlier in VWs than other manufacturers.

The one dealership I'm going to is VW and Mazda so I'll be able to test drive one, pick their brain, and see what kind of warranties they may offer. I'm still heavily leaning on the Mazda3 hatch though.

jorbjorb and Ken like this.
  13. Ken

entrusted Prestigious

oooh mazda3s are great. you can't go wrong by going to that place.

I want to track my car so badly. I'm terribly nervous about the idea of it though.

14. jorbjorb

7 rings

Mazda 3 is a good choice too for sure

15. Firefly

emotional motion sickness

Is anyone into old/classic cars? My husband likes them, the older and crummier the better. He used to have a Ford Cortina and now he has a 1991 Polo that he has slammed the sh*t out of.

I would love a Ford Anglia.

jorbjorb likes this.
  16. jorbjorb

7 rings

I liked it when sedans were simple. 90's corolla

17. Ken

entrusted Prestigious

Does anyone drive a 2017 or 2018 focus with an automatic transmission?

18. sleepy

pale earnhardt jr.

My check engine light is on and I know its something to do with fueling/evap... I noticed when I'm fueling up I can see the vapors/and a tiny puddle build behind the tire underneath where I pump the gas in. Tryna get my friend to look it over cus idk anything about cars and my inspection is up. Blah.

At least its a Toyota though, so it'll go forever till I literally blow it up lol.

19. fourstarters

Team Wiggum

I just bought a 2017 Honda HR-V. Fun little car - big fan of the magic seats.

Ken likes this.
  20. tyramail

Trusted Supporter

What is a magic seat haha?

21. fourstarters

Team Wiggum

tyramail likes this.
  22. subplotofcrows

Still don't have a new car. Putting a new ECM in the Celica this week to see if that fixes it. Literally the last thing I want to do to it. Haven't test drove anything new except for the 2018 Fit, which I like but don't want to pay full new car price to get Apple Carplay and a volume knob if I decide to go that route.

Been having fun gunning it everywhere in the 98 Civic though. 5 speeds of pure, adrenaline pumping 100 horsepower.

jorbjorb likes this.
  23. jorbjorb

7 rings

You might be able to cut some depreciation cost by getting a 2016. That will have carplay for sure.

24. Ken

entrusted Prestigious

What makes you want apple carplay so bad? I'm curious. I prefer to get a car without it. So I'm trying to see the other side.

25. jorbjorb

7 rings