Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Car Thread • Page 2

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by jorbjorb, Apr 5, 2016.

1. jorbjorb

7 rings

that ride screams AMERICA. I love it haha

jkauf likes this.
  2. colorlesscliche

Trusted Prestigious

I bought a brand new (only 3 miles on it) 2016 Subaru Outback in September. I bought it cause I needed a dad-car, but I've grown to love it.

josephcissell and jorbjorb like this.
  3. Henry

Moderator Moderator

About a year old now. Love my Mini.

jmitch0906, js977, bigmike and 2 others like this.
  4. jkauf

Prestigious Supporter

The lady of the house just got a 2012/13 Outback -- she always wanted one -- and loves it. It's quite a nice ride.

josephcissell likes this.
  5. MattLikesSsips

Be sure to drink your Ovaltine.

It's Arsenal red. Let that sink in.

6. MattLikesSsips

08 VW GTI. It's got another good 4-5 years. After that, I'd love the VW R or WRX.

josephcissell likes this.
  7. Henry

Moderator Moderator

I knew I should have turned down the red.

8. subplotofcrows

A Grand Scene For A Color Film Prestigious

I have a 2002 Toyota Celica with 220,000 miles on it.

9. Kiana

Goddamn, man child Prestigious

I just upgraded my car from a 1995 to a 2008, different model/make tho. The little signal things are annoying tho. Stop dinging at me, seatbelt signal thingy. I'll buckle. Chill. It's a huge upgrade in every other way tho.

In my last car the air didn't work, there were no cupholders, the engine was super loud and sounded terrible, the back doors didn't open, the dash lights didn't work, the gas gauge didn't work... yeah. So the seatbelt signal is a minor complaint.

10. muttley

"Fuck you, Peaches!" Prestigious

@Kiana Sounds like you really needed an upgrade haha. I'd lose it if I didn't have AC.

11. Kiana

It's nice having AC now but it wasn't the worst part. The worst part was driving at night and holding a flashlight up to the dash so I could see my speed as I was balancing my drink in my lap as I wondered how much gas I really had in the tank lol.

12. jorbjorb

7 rings

diesel?

13. MattLikesSsips

14. Lindsay M

drunk on the radio waves

I bought a 2012 VW Golf when I graduated from college. I love it. It's punchy enough for me, has super comfortable seats, and gets decent gas mileage. The only thing I don't like is how expensive parts are, which I learned when I hit a post in a parking garage and knocked off my side mirror :/

15. MattLikesSsips

Yes very expensive. I dropped about $1200 for repairs last year. I would try to fix myself but some repairs weren't realistic for me to fix myself. Fortunate this has been the only big money drop for my car.

16. jorbjorb

7 rings

how late into the vehicles life did you have to start buying these expensive parts?

I own vw as well :(

17. Lindsay M

drunk on the radio waves

It was 3 years into owning the car but it was only necessary because I'm an idiot, not the car's fault.

jorbjorb likes this.
  18. MattLikesSsips

Little over 100k

19. secretsociety92

Music, Gaming, Movies and Guys = Life

Wish I had a car, though I know full well I wouldn't be satisfied with something ordinary.

20. Kiana

I have an irrational fear of getting my oil changed. I'm convinced I'll drive into the hole. Plus the people who work at the shops here are sexist icky ppl I went to hs with. They used to sit on their trucks and rope girls walking by like cattle. I finally worked up the courage to get it done and then they turned me away cause they were short staffed! Now it'll take a thousand years to work up the courage again!

21. muttley

"Fuck you, Peaches!" Prestigious

I used to get mine changed where I worked until I realized some of the people running the place weren't the brightest. They stripped my drain plug once and I waited like an hour because the employees didn't tell a supervisor/manager. Also had more than one decent experiences, to be fair.

I started changing it myself and don't know why I didn't do it sooner. It's really simple. The hardest part for me was always getting the damn bolt started, even if I'm the one who put it on haha. Fixed that by getting a special valve for it.

I remember shopping around for tires at the same place since I got a discount. I asked one guy if he had a tape measure so I could get the diameter of the tire, and this other guy at the counter was like, "you don't use a tape measure for a tire." I should have asked him if he could tell me the diameter if I told him the tire size to shut him up, but I always bite my tongue.

I had a nail in my tire shortly after I bought the set and the same smartass rung me up to get it replaced. After everything was done, he brought it up at the register and told me it was $100. I told him I had the extra coverage and that price was $100 too much and he said, "Oh, why didn't you tell me that at first?" Took another 40 minutes for him to reverse the transaction.

22. Iain

Regular

My first car a VW Polo (2009 - really a 2007 model that probably sat in a field until it was sold in 09 and registered) has finally near enough chucked it. I have had it for 3.5 years and had no problems until now.

In the UK we have an MOT system which is once your car is 3 years old it needs to pass this check system at a garage every year. I am on the cusp of failing emissions - slightly ironic considering the VW scandal!

Its a catch 22, either follow all the things people say 'could fix the problem' or get the engine looked at by VW which was suggested by the VW tech. Either way, its probably going to cost me more than the car is worth. Fingers crossed i might be getting a company car, but who knows!

josephcissell and jorbjorb like this.
  23. tyramail

Trusted Supporter

My first car was a 1987 Volvo 240 which I loved. It went to shit though so I got a 1999 Honda Civic which I loved even more, but that got stolen and I got it back with a new hood with a hood scoop. I now have a 2013 Honda Fit and it's my favorite ever.

jorbjorb likes this.
  24. Damien Davies

Idk Maybe Supporter

I currently drive a 2006 Subaru Impreza RV with about 79,000km (~49,000 miles) done on it, bought it second hand just over a year ago. Before that I drove a 2002 Holden Astra with a huge dent that meant the trunk was inaccessible, but I got the car for free, so I couldn't really complain.

25. omgrawr

That loneliness is not a function of solitude.

I got a 2013 Dodge Charger SXT last September after having an '04 Chevy Colorado for ten years that my parents got me in high school. I've always loved Chargers but refused to get a car that didn't have All Wheel Drive since I live in the Midwest and hate driving in snow without it. Didn't realize they made AWD Chargers until I was looking around out of curiosity and decided to get one then. It's been great so far! Always a bit of a gamble getting a used car but it hasn't had any issues yet.

My wife also got a used 2013 Rav4 in January and it's been great. I'm sure that thing will outlast the Charger. Feel very lucky to be able to get these things as newly weds. Sucks that we both needed new cars at the same time but that's just kind of how it turned out.

jorbjorb likes this.