Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Car Thread • Page 14

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by jorbjorb, Apr 5, 2016.

1. subplotofcrows

A Grand Scene For A Color Film Prestigious

Oh yeah, will probably hit 300k miles with minimal fixes. But if I get hit by a big crossover or truck it probably won’t be good. Also, my trunk leaks, my door locks get stuck, and the car sounds like a freight train at 70 mph on the highway at 3200 RPM. It’s so damn loud. I’d like to at least upgrade to something with remote door locks.

jorbjorb likes this.
  2. GrantCloud

Prestigious Prestigious

i have a 2006 honda cr-v and i haven't had any major issues with it (maybe one or two major fixes since i bought it), i just replaced the rear brakes and got a new battery last month. now today i traveled home for the holidays, i get home and all of a sudden my engine gets super loud when i accelerate and when it is sitting in idle. i have 216K on it, so i think my baby is gonna start nickel and diming me soon. sigh.

3. Brent

Trusted Prestigious

Haven’t had any major issues with it, then immediately said you had one or two major fixes with it? ???

My cars at 128K, nothing major with it myself but I feel like it’s just all gonna fall apart one of these days.

4. GrantCloud

Prestigious Prestigious

I guess I more so meant like nothing MAJOR like any engine repair/replacement, exhaust, etc.

5. Iain

Regular

golfGT.jpg
    New Wheels! VW Golf GT - Apple Carplay is awesome, but im not used to using siri! This is what is like for me below:

Ken and jorbjorb like this.
  6. Dog with a Blog

Clutch gave out today while I was on the freeway. $650 fix. Pretty steep but not as bad as when the clutch on my VW gave out. I think that was like $1k or something close to it. Sigh. There’s not much I could have done to prevent this, huh? I take good care of my car.

jorbjorb and GrantCloud like this.
  7. mescalineeyes

just admit that I'm the fantasy Prestigious

My new Audi A6 avant came on Thursday.

Then it immediately rained and now it’s super dusty. :(

Ken, jorbjorb and Brent like this.
  8. theagentcoma

yeah good okay Prestigious

I have a 1999 Honda Accord with like 271,000 miles on it. It has one mirror (passenger side one broke off years ago). The knob for the AC temperature fell off. The CD player works like 80% of the time and I have no aux input. There are no floormats. Holes in much of the leather seating. The front tires are so bad that they can't even be rotated. The Engine light never goes off. I just replaced the catalytic converter 2 months ago and it cost $900.

I think maybe it's time for a new car, especially since it's been snowing here a lot and my car is NOT equipped for the weather.

9. devenstonow

Noobie

So, I'm buying a car (from a dealer, used 2018 subaru impreza hatchback) in New York, and then plan on driving it back to MA where I'm gonna have it registered and everything. Looking online, it seems like there may be some screwiness with plates and everything. MA doesn't do temporary plates (and apparently don't even recognize them?) and I have (as of today, a temporary) MA license. So, will the dealer give me NY temporary plates, and just making it a game of hoping I don't get pulled over in Mass before I go get my actual plates?

jorbjorb likes this.
  10. Dog with a Blog

Isn’t there a window of time where you can legally drive without plates after purchasing a vehicle? I thought that was a thing

11. devenstonow

Noobie

I've never seen a car driving without any plates whatsoever. That's the contribution I have other than my dad saying the "dealer has done this before"

jorbjorb likes this.
  12. Dog with a Blog

According to the internet, where I live (CA), after purchasing a vehicle you have 90 days to get plates without penalty if purchased from a dealership. I’ve seen cars without plates a decent amount tbh

GrantCloud, Ken and jorbjorb like this.
  13. BlueEyesBrewing

Trusted Supporter

I don't believe you're allowed to drive without some sort of license plate. I would talk to the dealer and/or your town hall before you go and ask what you need to do. You don't want to get down there and realize you can't drive off with the car and have to drive back.

14. jorbjorb

7 rings

They should give you temporary plates or at least a sticker to put on your wind shield.

Ken likes this.
  15. jorbjorb

7 rings

What engine do they have in your golfs over there? We have the 1.4tsi here.

16. devenstonow

Noobie

QUOTE="jorbjorb, post: 2675209, member: 209"]They should give you temporary plates or at least a sticker to put on your wind shield.[/QUOTE]
    As I said, MA doesn't do temp plates and I'm not doing anything in regards to NY/NJ registration. But, talked to the dealer today, they told me to get my insurance now, then they're gonna overnight forms to me to get plates/register the car in MA

jorbjorb likes this.
  17. Ken

entrusted Prestigious

I want that 2020 X3M. I have no idea how I will ever afford it, but I want it so badly.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Brent, Dog with a Blog and GrantCloud like this.
  18. GrantCloud

Prestigious Prestigious

Damn my car just hit 220K, 20 more thousand and I’ll get a new one! Maybe...

19. GrantCloud

Prestigious Prestigious

I really like them Mazda CX-5s though. Definitely might consider one when I send the old Honda to greener pasture.

theagentcoma likes this.
  20. theagentcoma

yeah good okay Prestigious

I'm quite literally driving my Accord into the ground lol

Brent and GrantCloud like this.
  21. Iain

Regular

2.0 Diesel. I have went from a 1.6 to 2.0 and can tell difference in the amount on fuel im spending a month. I'll see how it goes for a year and maybe drop back down to 1.6.

Its a fairly popular car her in the UK. They are on the expensive end of its category (before going up to premium brands) - 10 to 15% dearer starting list price than say a Ford or Renault.

jorbjorb likes this.
  22. peterbill

i like it

jorbjorb likes this.
  23. Dog with a Blog

I love it

jorbjorb and Henry like this.
  24. I want some more of it

25. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

Anyone see the last episode of the recent Grand Tour season? Last episode ever those three will host together in a studio setting; next season will only be adventures and car tests

jorbjorb likes this.