Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Car Thread • Page 11

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by jorbjorb, Apr 5, 2016.

1. Ken

entrusted Prestigious

Ferrari333SP likes this.
  2. subplotofcrows

A Grand Scene For A Color Film Prestigious

They actually didn't "get rid of" him, he left to go write for Autotrader.com/Oversteer. I used to be a big fan of Doug's because of reviews and quirky posts he would write about regular cars, but I haven't been a fan of his newest content. He does a lot of "Here's why the XYZ is worth $100,000" posts on rare and expensive cars. I'm less interested in cars that I don't want or will never, ever be able to afford. His shtick and humor also feels old and worn out.

Ken likes this.
  3. Ken

entrusted Prestigious

Yeah. Also, his 100 articles about "I took my hummer here and this is how it turned out" were never interesting. At least to me they weren't.

4. jorbjorb

7 rings

5. Ken

entrusted Prestigious

I found the car used with 800 miles on it. Only way I could afford it. It's CPO Elite, so basically all maintenance is included. The only thing I'm paying for are alignments and swapping my winter/summer tires. BMW service is the best I've ever come across. Free loaners and the loaners are usually cars that I have no business driving, always brand new BMWs like X3 35i and I most recently drove a 340 xdrive. It's been great.

jorbjorb likes this.
  6. jorbjorb

7 rings

I'm jealous dude. My VW Jetta sucks away my soul.

Ken likes this.
  7. Ken

entrusted Prestigious

Why do you say that? It drains your wallet? Jettas are nice to drive though! I had a GTI for a few years and I loved it. Great interiors for the price.

8. jorbjorb

7 rings

It doesn't drain my wallet yet. It's that it's only 150hp and 184in-lb of torque that makes passing a civic difficult. I just look at your BMW and would think it would be a very spirited drive. I'd love to floor that thing.

Ken likes this.
  9. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

Speaking of cars, you all should watch The Grand Tour on Amazon

Also, for those into car racing, the Bathurst 12 Hours is live from Australia this weekend - Bentleys, Ferraris, McLarens, Aston Martins, BMWs, Lambos, Porsches, all racing against each other on one of the world's best tracks. Live stream will be available online for free. Starts at like 12:30pm central Saturday

Liqui-Moly Bathurst 12 Hour - Australia's International Endurance Race

Ken and jorbjorb like this.
  10. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

Ken and jorbjorb like this.
  11. Ken

entrusted Prestigious

Could you get a tune or an intake on it? Is it a turbo? There's gotta be some more options to give it more pep for only a few hundred bucks.

I think my car is great because it's light, 6 speed, rear wheel drive, and has a good weight distribution. Plus I added a downpipe, performance springs, and a custom eurodynamic tune. Not as fast as a 235 or 240, but close enough, while at the same time getting 32-34 mpg highway.

jorbjorb likes this.
  12. jorbjorb

7 rings

It's a 1.4T turbo and I've seen people in the vw community do tunes on it but I'm afraid it would void my warranty. Maybe once the warranty is up I will have some fun with it. That's amazing mileage for that kind of output.

Ken likes this.
  13. Ken

entrusted Prestigious

it's only a 2.0t, so that's what it gets in eco mode on roadtrips, but it makes about 260 hp and 310 tq at the wheels. Stock it was around 235hp and 255 tq. Around the city I get about 25mpg.

I'm sure you get good gas mileage with yours though! Something like this might interest you:
    Volkswagen Jetta MK6 1.4 TSI ECU Upgrade Software - 150HP 2015-2016

14. jorbjorb

7 rings

Wow I didn't know a software tune could do that. Thank you.

Ken likes this.
  15. subplotofcrows

You don't know the pains of passing and merging until you slump through 5 gears of a 100 hp car.

Plus side is at least its not the automatic and at least whatever car I get after this will feel fast as hell.

jorbjorb and Ken like this.
  16. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

17. CstSnow

Regular Supporter

I have been wanting a project truck for a while now, finally pulled the trigger on a 1968 Dodge D100 , super excited to get started.

[​IMG]

muttley, Ferrari333SP and Ken like this.
  18. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

19. jorbjorb

7 rings

I think I'm going to get a miata later on in life. Engine is slow but it sounds and feels fast.

Ken likes this.
  20. Ken

entrusted Prestigious

Sometimes slower cars driven at their limit are the most fun to drive!

Ferrari333SP and jorbjorb like this.
  21. subplotofcrows

Went to go look at a 1990 Miata in what looked like stellar condition with only 67K miles on it for $4000 but it was gone immediately. Pretty mad about it.

I'm still undecided about my next car. Still kind of leaning heavy on a Mazda3 but I'm going to check out a 2016 Miata thats for sale across town because "you only live once" or whatever. I also test drove a new Fit but I didn't like how the shifter and clutch felt. Here I am, one year later, still trying to buy something.

22. jorbjorb

7 rings

The miata looks like the most impracticable car. I don't think I could fit a hockey bag in the trunk. I think if you have a miata you also have another car for other life stuff you have going on. From what I heard the Mazda 3 is a fun car to drive.

Ken and subplotofcrows like this.
  23. subplotofcrows

Miata is absolutely the most impractical car. The newer ones have even a SMALLER trunk and no glovebox or fixed cupholders. I tried and could fit my gym bag and that was it. If I bought one, it would be my only car. I never have passengers and I don't ever carry anything besides a book bag or gym bag so I could make it work. But I could get a nice Mazda3 with an upgraded interior and the hatch for less than the Miata, so I don't know. Miata also runs premium fuel and I kind of don't want to commit to more expensive gas for the foreseeable future. The 3 is the "smart" purchase.

24. Ken

entrusted Prestigious

The Mazda 3 is a great car to drive. Everyone I know who has ever owned one has loved it.

jorbjorb likes this.
  25. jorbjorb

7 rings

If you're getting the Mazda 3 I would suggest pairing it up with a manual for the most fun haha. I hear the automatic is pretty nice on them as well.

Ken likes this.