Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Car Thread • Page 10

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by jorbjorb, Apr 5, 2016.

1. tyramail

Trusted Supporter

2. subplotofcrows

A Grand Scene For A Color Film Prestigious

Honda's infotainment system is so laughably bad it has turned me off from Hondas without it. I like Toyota's slow system more than it. Also, I really want that volume knob, as the touch bar is just as bad as the infotainment system.

Ken likes this.
  3. Ken

entrusted Prestigious

Thanks! That makes perfect sense.

4. muttley

"Fuck you, Peaches!" Prestigious

Pretty sure I'll be replacing my power steering pump by the end of this month. Had a nice 2 months without any repairs - it was nice while it lasted.

5. skogsraet

Trusted Supporter

Fingers crossed, knock on wood etc but my 2012 Nissan is just about hitting 130k miles and I’ve only ever had to do maintenance. And a big body repair from the time I crashed it but that was my fault lol. I’m sooo happy with this car.

6. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

This - watch full screen and try putting yourself in the driver's seat

Bloodsucker II, muttley and Ken like this.
  7. muttley

My car broke down this morning haha. The work continues.

Ken likes this.
  8. muttley

I was waiting for that lane marker to turn solid haha. Man, what a bad time to blow a tire or have an animal run into the road.

Ken likes this.
  9. muttley Nov 24, 2017
    (Last edited: Nov 24, 2017)
    muttley

So my car stalled earlier this month and I couldn’t get it to start afterwards. I finally got around to some troubleshooting and checked the fuel pressure which was okay (originally thought it may have been the fuel pump). I then started it to see if it would stall again and it was idling fine. Even after applying the gas pedal, which caused it to stall before, it was still running. I have no idea what the problem could be.

10. Brent

Trusted Prestigious

Traded in our 4 year old Grand Caravan with just under 75K mi for a new Pacifica last night. Pretty excited for the upgrades (dvd players, 8.4 in touchlink, automatic sliding doors/liftgate, rear view, etc). So much quieter too. Just in time for baby #2 to arrive lol.

[​IMG]

We only look this dressed up because we had just come from our family photos.

But we're happy for another van... wasn't what we were looking at 4 years ago with just one kid but it's been awesome to have, especially for trips to Walt Disney World and cross country/up and down the 95 a couple times.

I still am driving an 2010 cube with 108K on it and the check engine light on for quite some time... probably replacing that thing next year.

jorbjorb and muttley like this.
  11. muttley

Pretty sure O’Reilly’s has free diagnostic checks. Might be worth a shot if you have some more time with the car.

Brent likes this.
  12. jorbjorb

7 rings

I bottomed out my 2016 jetta somewhere and damaged the transmission wiring harness lol. I guess the bottom cover pushed up into the wiring. I had to get towed as the car wouldn't shift out of 3rd gear. luckily the repairs were covered by the dealership. Is this normal or bad design? Having wiring underneath the car like that?

muttley likes this.
  13. Dog with a Blog

Lol, I looked up my old home on Google Earth cause bored and they still have a pic of my old car. Fucking RIP. This thing was such a blast to drive, albeit a total money pit

Screen Shot 2017-11-14 at 12.31.52 AM.png

14. muttley

My car’s been garaged for a month now. It pains me to say it, but this thing has been a downer lately. I’m wondering how much more work and money is going to go into it. Maybe it’s a lost cause.

Bloodsucker II likes this.
  15. Dog with a Blog

That was me last year. Sold my car to Pick & Pull and bought a bicycle lol

muttley likes this.
  16. muttley

I’m pretty sure I put over $2k into it this year so to turn around and break even isn’t enticing enough. Once I find out what the current problem is, I can go from there. It’s still cheaper than a car payment.

I want a bike too but everything in my neck of the woods is pretty spread out. Not a lot of public transit either.

Bloodsucker II likes this.
  17. Iain

Regular

Skidded on black ice a week ago. It sounds than what it actually is. Really just skidded about a meter into a curb. Completely destroyed the tyre though and ruined the night, thankfully alloys are all good.

muttley likes this.
  18. GrantCloud

Prestigious Prestigious

Fairly certain my transmission is going out in my 2006 Honda CR-V, boooooo.

19. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

Roommate has been out of the house somewhere since mid-December(didn't tell us where), and he kept his CR-V out on the street during that nasty snowstorm we had last week, and the next day, because the city declared a snow emergency it got towed. He was texted about it, but no response. I think he secretly wanted it junked, haha, 'cause price keeps going up every day it's at the tow place apparently

20. GrantCloud

Prestigious Prestigious

Oh yeah, luckily I have never had my car towed. But I’ve been with people to pick it up, and stories and it is just a nightmare. The prices are insane to get them out, and it goes up like 50 dollars a day to get them out. One time the place only accepted cash, no cards.

I’ve had a lot of good luck with my car though, it’s weird too because I just hit 200K with it. I figured I would have some expenses coming up with it, but if it is the transmission definitely just going to buy a new car. I’m already looking at dealerships in the area. Haha.

21. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

It's actually happened to me twice, haha; day I happened to take off work we had a snow emergency, and I totally forgot my car was on the street. Go out at 3:30pm to go to Target, and I had a real "Dude, where's my car" moment. Had to wait until the next morning to retrieve it, and my Dad had to come and provide title or something, along with like $125. Then last May I was at my girlfriend's place in Dinkytown, parking on the street, then in the morning I go out to put some stuff in the car, and the car was gone. Eventually I find out that I was too close to an alleyway, and a patrol car saw it and reported it, getting it towed. Bitches

But yeah, if the transmission is starting to go, might as well get a new used car, as those things are pretty expensive to replace

22. GrantCloud

Prestigious Prestigious

Yeah the paperwork you need is ridiculous. One of the times they need the title but for the most part people leave it in the car and that’s where hers was, and they wouldn’t let her get it. Luckily her dad had a copy made.

I have a buddy that works for morries and hopefully he can give me a more clear picture when I take it in tomorrow. But if I’m accelerating to highway speeds or trying to accelerate quickly it sputters a bit. So it’s not looking good.

23. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

Ken likes this.
  24. Ken

entrusted Prestigious

Ferrari333SP likes this.
  25. subplotofcrows

A Grand Scene For A Color Film Prestigious

Jalopnik is my favorite site.

In other news I'm still driving my "temporary" 98 Civic because cars are expensive.

Ferrari333SP and Ken like this.