Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Canada Thread • Page 6

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Deborah Remus, Apr 18, 2016.

1. DeathOrGlory Jun 7, 2016
    (Last edited: Jun 7, 2016)
    DeathOrGlory

Just a friendly reminder

SLATES (I feel like you may really like these guys) https://slates.bandcamp.com/
    Tee-Tahs Buzzkill, by TeeTahs
    Power Buddies Power-Buddies, by Power-Buddies
    Switches All My Darlings, by SWITCHES
    Thick Lines Best Off Dying (demo), by Thick Lines

There are a lot of off-kilter type groups. Marlaena Moore will be popular soon. Calling All Captains is a pop-punk band that's not too bad even though I don't really do pop-punk anymore. It's quite diverse honestly.

2. Stephen Young

Regular Prestigious

I was into Edmonton's emo scene a couple years ago: Todos Caeran, Maus, Book of Caverns, Rape Revenge (a PV band) and tons others. I think they're mostly broken up, but Edmonton has always had a good rep for its local scenes. My band's drummer is from there and used too play in prog metal bands there.

3. Kennedy

loomasleep.bandcamp.com Prestigious

Can't wait till my band is ready to do shows so I can be more involved in the scene. Have our first show in August :))

4. Deborah Remus

Former Staffer

Thanks! I have heard of Slates! Mostly thanks to them touring with the Flatliners and signing with New Damage. Not really my thing though honestly.

In case anyone cares in general here are all the current Winnipeg bands everyone needs to listen to:

Dangercat
    Elder Abuse
    Clipwing
    Stickaround
    The Bumpin' Uglies
    Sit Calm

5. MexicanGuitars

Chorus’ Expert on OTIP Track #8 Supporter

I was downright shocked when I moved to Halifax how big country is here. It's a shame I haven't made a bigger attempt to search out local bands though. One of my former professors used to drive to Toronto while getting his PhD at Syracuse in the 90s to see Halifax indie bands play.

6. jorbjorb

7 rings

new lwl record comin

7. Deborah Remus

Former Staffer

Can't wait to hear it! They played a new song when they were here earlier this year and it sounded rad.

jorbjorb likes this.
  8. jorbjorb

7 rings

those guys are good at what they do. I think the new album will sound great

9. Deborah Remus

Former Staffer

Yep. I've done a lot of thinking about this as I've started to retire from my music journalism "career" and am pretty sure they are my favourite band ever. Love everything they've released and have been to pretty much every show they've played in Winnipeg since 2007, all of which have been a blast. No one else really comes close.

jorbjorb likes this.
  10. chelsealouanne

Regular

I feel compelled to post in this thread as I'm currently typing this in Canada. Hamilton, more specifically (Which has some talk on here I noticed, haha). So, hello fellow Canadians! I remember the Canadian round-ups and such on AbsolutePunk.

Deborah Remus likes this.
  11. DeathOrGlory

Just a friendly reminder

Is Hamilton a decent place, or post-nuclear? I need to know n

12. Deborah Remus

Former Staffer

Nice to see someone remembers all the work I put in on those round-ups, haha. Welcome to the new thread!

13. chelsealouanne

Regular

They'll go down in the history of AP! Haha. Thank you!

I mean, it's Hamilton. I think it makes the decent mark! I like it because it's not too far to commute to events when needed.

14. Pokemon

So I was reading this thread and saw you mentioned that you're from Lethbridge, so that means there is only one person you could be. This is Bros Get Stoked. :)

I miss the Canada round-ups so much. It was one of the main reasons I would check the site every day.

15. DeathOrGlory

Just a friendly reminder

Haha yessssssssssssssss! My mind is kinda blown right now.

16. mad Jun 13, 2016
    (Last edited: Jun 13, 2016)
    mad

I was right. Prestigious

I feel sooo out of touch with the local scene these days so I can't really name any specific artists or bands to recommend. In the past couple years the best local acts I've discovered are during festivals like Pop Explosion or In The Dead of Winter when they open for people I went to see. Plus the CoHo, Gus', and the Carelton usually have good local shows.

17. MexicanGuitars

I'm so pissed I missed Pop Explosion this year. Only found out after the fact both Dillinger Escape Plan and Cancer Bats played, the latter of which I've never seen. Might see TDEP when I get back to Chicago since they're playing Riot Fest, but I feel like Cancer Bats is one of those bands that will continue to elude me.

Never been to any of those venues actually. I've been so busy with classes and now my thesis though that I can't really blame myself for not seeking more out, especially with how many shows I went to in undergrad. Frank Turner at the Marquis in February was awesome though. Dirty Nil is playing Seahorse in July though and I couldn't be more excited lol.

18. Deborah Remus

Former Staffer

That's awesome to hear! Thanks so much. I had lots of fun putting those together back in the day.

19. Deborah Remus

Former Staffer

Polaris Long List came out today. Am I the only one who doesn't get PUP? I seriously cannot understand why everyone seems to love that band. I have listened to all their records numerous times and I saw them at the Fest and I still don't get it. Would rather listen to Single Mothers or the Dirty Nil any day.

Have fun! I'm late to comment on this, but the Dirty Nil are awesome live! Unfortunately Dave had some trouble with his bass the last time they played Winnipeg, but they were still great.

20. GameOfThrones Jun 16, 2016
    (Last edited: Jun 16, 2016)
    GameOfThrones

Regular

Canadian KFC is heaven. We Canadians have a different menu, different recipe, and we even deliver. Chicken is smaller, but got-damn is it good. Sure it's going straight to my love handles, but got-damn. And now, like every other place in canada, they offer poutines...It's game over.

US KFC...no thanks.

21. Kennedy

loomasleep.bandcamp.com Prestigious

This inspires me

GameOfThrones likes this.
  22. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

I feel like PUP is a completely different type of band than those two, as evidenced by where they fall in stateside. Their first album is a blast, but I don't get this new album at all.

23. Deborah Remus

Former Staffer

Yes and no. They play a slightly different style, but they can all be lumped in the punk category. And that one song on the new PUP record (Old Wounds) sounds like a bad Single Mothers rip off.

24. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

Yeah, that was my only take away from that album. When I saw people going crazy for it yet no one is listening to Single Mothers, it made me sad.

25. MexicanGuitars

If that's your only take away from the album you should revisit it lol. I'm a Single Mothers fan too and totally get how Old Wounds comes across as a rip off, but I think it's still different enough and given the rest of the songs on the album, it's apparent there's a lot else to like on it.