Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Canada Thread • Page 3

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Deborah Remus, Apr 18, 2016.

1. RileyWitiw

more like absolutepop.net Supporter

Those guys are all crazy awesome musicians. Their shows are always off the hook.

2. From Edmonton, living in Vancouver.

sup

KennedyBN likes this.
  3. DeathOrGlory

Just a friendly reminder

Canada Thread! I'm southern Alberta.

4. RealVile

Brit living in Vancouver. Any drummers from Van post here?

5. fyebes

Regular Prestigious

I've been to Mississauga once for a hockey tournament, but never been to anywhere else. I really would like to get back up there.

6. DeathOrGlory

Just a friendly reminder

Northern Alberta is burning!

7. MexicanGuitars

Chorus’ Expert on OTIP Track #8 Supporter

From Chicago, currently doing my Master's in Halifax. Also went to Montreal for a weekend in February in which I've never been so cold and will be in Calgary at the beginning of June for a conference, so I'm happy I'm getting to see a fair amount of the country and make connections who will fast track me to permanent residency once Trump gets elected lol.

8. mybreakingpoint

The Greatest Escapegoat

Despite working with and around Canadians daily when I worked at a hockey rink all four years of college and knowing that they're not all like this, I've met so many who are that this just makes my day every time I see it. [​IMG]

9. Kennedy

loomasleep.bandcamp.com Prestigious

10. DeathOrGlory

Just a friendly reminder

11. Kennedy

Oh nice! I'm staying over night in Cardston tonight cause I'm just getting back to the country from a vacation. My grandparents live here hah

12. Deborah Remus

Former Staffer

Anyone going to Pouzza this weekend? I'm not but wish I was. It's been so dead here in Winnipeg this year. Barely any good shows.

jorbjorb likes this.
  13. DeathOrGlory

Just a friendly reminder

My friends in the bands Participation and Terra are doing a cross Canada tour up to Montreal currently. Anyone looking for good post punk should hit up a show if they're in your town.

14. Deborah Remus

Former Staffer

Cool! My friends in Elder Abuse aren't doing a tour, but they will be in Montreal for Pouzza and are another up and coming band to check out if anyone in this thread is actually going.

15. MexicanGuitars

Anyone have any recs on places to go for food in Calgary? I'll basically have all of tomorrow from noon onwards free and will be staying by the University for the remainder of the week. I would ask for things to do but I think a friend and I are gonna rent a car on Friday and drive up to Banff and Kanmore.

16. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

I don't know Calgary very well, but if your plans aren't fully set for Banff, I highly recommend taking the gondola up the mountain. Their hot springs are cool too, but their design is little more than a glorified wading pool. It's a shame you don't have more time, because the drive between Banff and Jasper is the most beautiful thing I've ever seen.

17. Kennedy

You still looking for good food? I have a ton of friends in Calgary and could text them and ask (I live in Edmonton myself)

18. MexicanGuitars

That would be great, thanks!

19. GameOfThrones

Regular

Toronto here. 80+ degrees hot. Born here, raised in the states. Can only spend a few months here before I really want to go back to the States.

20. DeathOrGlory

Just a friendly reminder

It really depends on your budget. Calgary has a lot of good food though. 17th Ave is the main restaurant drag in the city, whether you're looking for something high class or the best hot dog in the city.

21. DeathOrGlory

Just a friendly reminder

Also, I'm thinking of moving to Hamilton in the new year. Anyone have any experiences there?

22. MexicanGuitars

My per diem is $47 a day lol, not sure if the conference feeds me so I'd be looking on the cheaper end of a $10-20 meal

23. Miss Heartcore

Let's build something Together Prestigious

I was in Toronto for the first time a few weeks ago and now I'm in beautiful Vancouver staying downtown for work.

Food Recs are appreciated :heart:

24. MexicanGuitars

Mm nice thanks for the rec. May venture down there the next couple days after my conference since my friend is staying in the Southwest side of town. Went to Kensington today and putzed around till I found the best happy hour special. Pretty high end but a cool vibe all things considered.

Also wow was Calgary beautiful today. Walked around the river and park area downtown and just laid in the sun for hours. Don't make me go back to Halifax or Chicago lol.

Edit: Apparently I already quoted this but totally neglected the entire second/most important have of your original post. My bad lol.

25. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

Cartems Donuterie is my favorite place in the city. If you're into thai/japanese/korean, you can step into almost any restaurant down there and find something great. My favorite on a budget though is the Korean Mama cart outside the Pacific Centre.