Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Canada Thread • Page 2

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Deborah Remus, Apr 18, 2016.

1. White

Cum for the Cum God. Prestigious

That law is on the books, yes, but the border service is too non-confrontational to ever enforce it. Technically I am a fugitive.

2. Deborah Remus

Former Staffer

Big mountains, yes. The parks up here are way nicer than the ones in Colorado and I really need to head out there more and explore some of them. I've only been to Banff once and I only got to spend 2 days there.

Big cities, not as much. Toronto is only 2.5 million I think and that's our biggest city. I live in Winnipeg, which is the capital of Manitoba, and it's only 700,000.

KennedyBN likes this.
  3. beachdude

I'm not brave Prestigious

My dad grew up in Quebec, and I'm a dual citizen. Every time I visit Quebec it's just a nice chance to unwind and relax.

KennedyBN likes this.
  4. mad

I was right. Prestigious

Nova Scotia represent!!

cubsml34 and KennedyBN like this.
  5. TheWater(s)

Kiss The Sky Prestigious

I was born in Creston, BC.
    Lived in Fort St John, BC awhile.

Been to Alberta, SK, Ontario, Manitoba, Yukon, NW Territories and I think that's it.

Canada is the best.

KennedyBN likes this.
  6. jorbjorb

7 rings

great thread eh?

7. muttley

"Fuck you, Peaches!" Prestigious

I had the Toronto, Calgary, and Vancouver skylines in mind, rather than population, when I posted that. They all look pretty impressive to me. The nearest concentration of high-rise buildings for me is Phoenix, which is nice, but it doesn't compare to the Canadian cities I've seen pictures of.

8. jorbjorb

7 rings

I've been to every major western city and most of ontario in the east. I still need to get out to montreal. Don't care about anything east of that lol.

9. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

Montreal is so fun. Can't wait to be back for Osheaga. I haven't been to the east coast since I was like 13 and don't really have the desire but it's really beautiful in a completely different way than the west.

jorbjorb likes this.
  10. Brandon Allin

Finest Quality Crappy Punk Rock Since '92 Prestigious

Toronto technically is, but the metro area is 6 million+, so it's pretty huge.

11. Deborah Remus

Former Staffer

Still nothing compared to metro areas in the US and Europe though.

12. MrRobot

Twitter/IG: @scott325

There are only 7 metro areas in the US bigger than Toronto's. Half of which don't even have a million more people. It's pretty comparable to most of the US large cities.

13. Deborah Remus

Former Staffer

I agree that it's comparable, but Toronto still has some growing to do before it catches up to New York City and that's just a reality, haha. I'm not trying to hate on Toronto or anything, even though lots of Winnipeggers supposedly do. I actually had more fun there in 3 days than I usually do at home. And some girl working at the CN Tower let me go up for free because I was wearing an Alkaline Trio shirt. It's a fun city with lots of cool stuff to do. But unfortunately that does not represent most of the rest of the country. Most of Canada is underpopulated wide open space.

jorbjorb likes this.
  14. Colin Your Enthusiasm

It's nobody's battle but your own. Prestigious

Yay for Canada.

15. Stephen Young

Regular Prestigious

Yeah, I feel this way about Montreal, I think. I played a show down in Toronto this weekend, and while the show itself went off great, it reminded me of how generally disappointed I am in Toronto as a city.

I've always had the desire to live in big cities, so I can't really comment on small towns (I've been in a lot), but out of all the big cities in eastern canada I've been in, Montreal is the only one I truly love. Halifax is beautiful too.

Anyone else from Quebec here btw?

Also hmu if you're coming down to osheaga. I feel like after almost hanging out at osheaga back in like 2012, and somehow being in the same strip mall in whitby last weekend, we're bound to eventually cross paths lol. my new place is 5 minutes away from the metro that takes you to Jean Drapeau island.

16. Stephen Young

Regular Prestigious

Toronto has that crazy sprawl that pretty much swallowed up every city within a 90 minute radius, no? I'm always amazed by how massive it is when I drive in. But yeah, after Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver, Ottawa, Calgary, Edmonton and I guess Halifax, it's all open space and wilderness. I read somewhere like 90% of Canada lives within 90 KM of the US border.

17. Deborah Remus

Former Staffer

I guess so. I just flew into Toronto and have never been to Hamilton, London, Ajax or anywhere like that so I can't say for certain what it's like but I'm sure there's not lots of wide open space there. Nothing like what you'd find in Manitoba anyway.

And that figure makes sense because pretty much all of the major cities (with the exception of Edmonton and perhaps Saskatoon) are all pretty close to the border. Cities up north like Yellowknife only have a population of just under 20,000. And most Canadians never make it up there either. I personally would love to go to the Yukon one day though.

18. RileyWitiw

more like absolutepop.net Supporter

Another Edmonton person. Being an Oilers fan is a fucking sad existence.

KennedyBN likes this.
  19. RileyWitiw Apr 26, 2016
    (Last edited: Apr 26, 2016)
    RileyWitiw

more like absolutepop.net Supporter

also check out my room mates band. Bunch of these guys used to be in Ten Second Epic

20. noxee

Regular Prestigious

Am I allowed in this thread even though I'm an Australian living in Calgary? I have the flannel...

I've lived in Kelown, and Calgary so far. Looking at moving to Montreal or Vancouver at the end of the year.

21. mad

I was right. Prestigious

22. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

Got my passes already, so I'll be there from Thursday evening until early Monday morning. We'll have to catch up this time. I'm staying at UQAM in the latin quarter I think. Lemme know next time you're playing Toronto too. I'll be in my place downtown starting next weekend.

23. Stephen Young

Regular Prestigious

I'd love to go to Yukon too, I've heard that Yellowknife has a surprisingly lively music scene and a really good restaurant scene too, so it would be interesting to check out somewhere so isolated. St John's, NL too. Ever since that one PTH song haha.
    sup
    Nice nice, I live on St. Denis a block above Sherbrooke, which is about a 5 minute walk from the latin quarter and the UQAM dorms. We're definitely gonna make it to Toronto this summer and fall, but yeah hit me up when you're in town because I'll be right in that area.

24. jorbjorb

7 rings

I dig that band and ten second epic.

RileyWitiw likes this.
  25. Stephen Young

Regular Prestigious

Royal Tusk is pretty sick. TSE was a great band. Got to play with them in MTL on their final tour and they put on one hell of a great show.

RileyWitiw likes this.