Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Boys (Amazon) TV Show • Page 2

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by tvck, Jun 26, 2019.

1. Jusscali

Synth-Bop Enthusiast Prestigious

Give daddy more banshee too

airik625 likes this.
  2. stayillogical

Kayak, deed, rotator, noon, racecar, Woo Young-woo Prestigious

I loved Black Noir, haha. When he just sat next to the guy on the piano. Such a great name too.

airik625 and Alba like this.
  3. Maybevictor

@maybevictor Prestigious

Just wrapped this up. Really liked it for the most part but didn’t think it stuck the landing with the final reveal.

Besides being a fucking creep, The Deep made for some of my favorite comedic moments (dolphin, him reacting to annie’s speech, the lobster) and so did Black Noir (played that piano scene super well). I thought they didn’t handle Maeve and A-train super well, though, both felt too one dimensional.

Acting for Homelander was really great and I thought Stillwell was also well acted.

Acting and character depth for the boys wasn’t top notch like homelander, but I really enjoyed Frenchie, and I thought all 5 of the main group had great chemistry.

For next season I hope that we get to see more Giancarlo Esposito, Black Noir, and other minor supes. It feels like the endgame here is to have smaller supes and some of the seven (Annie, Maeve, Deep) begin to turn against Vought / Homelander, so I’d like to see them start to set that up next season instead of dragging on the status quo for a while

4. I was slightly iffy with this until I witnessed the greatness of Homelander and realized this was produced/created by Eric Kripke who I adore (original show runner of Supernatural). The Hughie kid is probably my least favorite character of the show and only one I'd change, everyone else is basically spot on. I cannot wait for season 2, which is already filming!

5. stayillogical

Hughie is the most essential character, you need the regular down on his luck guy to contrast with all the crazy out of this world characters. His journey is the heart of the show. I was so happy when his dad told him how proud he was of him after he stood up to A-Train. His ability to handle each situation they faced was the most compelling part. The retainer! Haha. Without his character, the show would be less rooted in the real world which is what makes it good.

VincewithoutheE likes this.
  6. I probably should have said the actor in the show moreso haha but yeah he definitely has his moments. He did get better as it went along.

7. AWasteOfATime

@awasteofatime Supporter

the scene in the last episode where he's like walking up determinedly to free his friends and then just gets decked was my biggest laugh of the show

Maybevictor likes this.
  8. Professor Plumbob

Trusted Supporter

I can’t remember the last time a character captivated me as much as Homelander did.

9. supernovagirl

Poetic and noble land mermaid

burned through this show quickly. It sucks bc its an amazing show in a lot of ways but the complaints I have are not ones I take lightly (the seeming attempt at a comedic redemption arc for a sexual assaulter, not passing the bechdel test, etc). I am still eager for a second season because the story itself was compelling as hell.

10. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

might have to peep this

11. AWasteOfATime

@awasteofatime Supporter

how does it not pass the bechdel test? there a tons of conversations between starlight and her retainer and boss and mom ?

12. supernovagirl

Poetic and noble land mermaid

If you expect a response then quote me?

First of all, gonna preface by saying that this is a post on a forum not a dissertation so it’s not like I went through the episodes and scripts with a fine-toothed comb.
    After episode 5 it occurred to me that I didn’t think it passed, and I sat with my roommate for a while with each of us trying to come up with an instance where it had clearly passed and came up empty. That doesn’t mean it didn’t happen but by episode 5 of a show you absolutely should not have to wrack your brain so hard to find ONE example.
    Admittedly I thought less in depth about it in the episodes after that, but I did keep it in mind throughout and was already jaded about the female characters. Thinking back, I can say that I think in the later episodes there are clear examples of it passing (specifically Annie/queen Maeve), but I would absolutely argue that it shouldn’t take until the final 3 episodes of a show to pass.

In the very beginning she has a convo with her mom about getting the job but I’m not sure how well that or any convo passes because I vividly remember most conversations include about ‘men’ either explicitly or implied (like when starlight is talking to the ‘retainer’- do you mean the assistant woman Ashley? That’s who I’m assuming but correct me if wrong about her outfit). As well, I’m not sure if Annie’s mother is a named character which is another requirement.

Also like they legit have a girl who’s character is just called “The Female” for almost the whole show. Like, I could go on and on about the ways this show was a disservice to girls.
    I still liked the show, a lot. Doesn’t make those criticisms less valid.

CarpetElf likes this.
  13. phaynes12

quite good. i like this a ton

DrAlanGrant likes this.
  14. airik625

we've seen the shadow of the axe before Supporter

Yeah this entertaining as hell.

Love the Billy Zane cameos.

15. imthegrimace

the poster formally known as thesheriff Supporter

Finished this last night and I liked it a lot.

16. phaynes12

yeah, i have 2 of this and 2 of mindhunter left. gonna try to finish both today

17. airik625

You watch multiple different series at the same time? I always like to finish one before starting another

18. phaynes12

yes. boys during the daytime, mindhunter at night.

19. stayillogical

I watch two at a time, but that's because I watch one alone and one with my sister.

airik625 likes this.
  20. airik625

I want to know more about his superpowers! We only really got to see him in action we had that brief tussle with Kiko.

21. y2jayjk

Trusted Prestigious

I liked it

22. atlas

Trusted

After two episodes of this show I must announce that this show is good

phaynes12 and airik625 like this.
  23. y2jayjk

Trusted Prestigious

V shocked this thread is small I thought it was gonna be a gigantic 50 page hit

24. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

This show is fantastic, but with the way the first episode handles THAT scene I can see the show also being off-putting.

Even if I think the show handles her arc well extending from that point. I have no idea what the show is trying to say with his arc and that bothers me a bit. He’s clearly troubled, but it felt weird that by the end empathy was something I was supposed to feel for him. I just didn’t—even if the system chewed him up and spit him out in a different way.

supernovagirl and imthesheriff like this.
  25. airik625

Yeah I felt nothing for him by time the end of the first season came. At this point, just leave him hidden wherever he is and maybe come back to his arc in the future.