Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Bouncing Souls Band • Page 3

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Full Effect Ed, May 2, 2016.

1. JaytotheGee

Trusted Prestigious

Oh damn didn't know that about Intruder but same as TBR I'm sure they go back to Fat. I was hoping Strike would end up doing Fat or Epitaph and same for Souls but I'm curious to see what happens with them on PN for sure. Still mad at myself for not treating myself to the Hopeless Romantics Club thing.

And yeah while the tour got rescheduled to October I don't see it happening :(

2. Full Effect Ed

...In F*cking Full Effect Prestigious

Yeah there was no mention from Pete about the song being on the record, he just said new record in September. New song is different but I love it, although isn’t Pure Noise a problematic label? While I’m stoked as hell for the boys (as well as SA), wasn’t this label in some shit years back for something sexual harassment-related?

alkalinexandy likes this.
  3. alkalinexandy

Trusted Supporter

If I recall correctly, PureNoise didn't drop a band with a known abuser. That was years ago, I think. I don't recall the band or who it was... Or if they're on the label.

I was actually thinking about the move to a new label last night. And I don't understand why they opt for a label like PureNoise as opposed to, say, Fat Wreck or Epitaph. With Fat, they would have the opportunity to be the second biggest fish in a relatively small pond. And they would probably get the same amount of push/opportunities that PN would afford them (would, not could; I don't see them being a high priority for that label).

Not that Fat Mike would put out an acoustic Souls record, but you know what I mean.

4. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

In 2015, they signed a band, No Good News, that had an accused rapist in it, and the accusations had been made well before the signing. So they clearly weren't vetting the bands they were scouting in any way at the time. After the backlash they dropped the band, but it took a lot of backlash for it to happen.

They also were the home of that scumbag Front Porch Step when the allegations against him came out, which was around the same time, and they took longer than they should have to "investigate" the allegations and drop him. He had already been signed to Pure Noise for a while by the time those allegations came out, though.

The label really sucks, and it sucks that a bunch of bands I like are signed to it (like Spanish Love Songs).

5. btr

Trusted Supporter

Pure Noise is absolutely STACKED now. Love to see it and Souls makes sense since they have Less Than Jake and Masked Intruder who is still up on their site?

6. Full Effect Ed

I think Senses Fail’s on that label now too

7. Full Effect Ed

Front Porch Step, that’s the one! Glad it ended up getting resolved but still...should’ve never been as big of a story as it got. Happy for the Souls regardless. I’m a big fan of the new song and the direction they took, the announcement of a new record in September was the biggest surprise for me because I didn’t know they were recording. I just hope they go back to their roots with this one, there’s something about the last couple of full length records that doesn’t feel like a traditional Souls record to me.

8. JaytotheGee

Trusted Prestigious

The new record is going to be an acoustic record, I'm pretty sure so it won't feel traditional either haha

9. Full Effect Ed

Well shit, I didn’t even see that part

10. JaytotheGee

Trusted Prestigious

I don't think they've confirmed it anywhere but all the studio pics and footage the last few months indicate it

11. alkalinexandy

Trusted Supporter

It's confirmed based on what I heard them say at that pre-show set about reworking older songs for an unplugged record. Haha.

...And those IG pics definitely back that up.

JaytotheGee likes this.
  12. JaytotheGee

Trusted Prestigious

[​IMG]

13. btr

Trusted Supporter

14. alkalinexandy

Trusted Supporter

Man, it's weird. I knew this was going to happen. I didn't have tickets to any of these shows. And I have zero doubts about this being the right call (and I suspect other bands to do the same for the tours plotted for September/October within the next two months).

But seeing the Souls wave the white flag is a sobering, bummer of a thing.

15. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

JaytotheGee and alkalinexandy like this.
  16. alkalinexandy

Trusted Supporter

Looks like the Souls have a "big announcement"/surprise coming tomorrow night at 8pm EST. I believe they were planning on releasing that unplugged album in the fall so it may be an announcement somehow tied into that. But with COVID, who knows if they'll delay the release of that or not.

Any guesses/thoughts?

I'm putting my money on an album announcement coupled with a PPV livestream announcement for a record release show.

17. alkalinexandy

Trusted Supporter

JK. It's just the new album announcement coupled with an early release of "Ghosts on the Boardwalk." The new version is insanely beautiful. And the track listing is up on Bandcamp now. It's fantastic!

Pre-orders coming tomorrow...

18. JaytotheGee

Trusted Prestigious

19. alkalinexandy

Trusted Supporter

JaytotheGee likes this.
  20. JaytotheGee

Trusted Prestigious

I think it's officially time for me to join the patreon haha

21. JaytotheGee

Trusted Prestigious

22. alkalinexandy

Trusted Supporter

With each song they release, I'm growing more and more excited for this album. It's nice to see a band stretching the limits of their songs and doing something with them that's truly a "re-imagining" rather than just doing another acoustic rendition.

After listening to their podcast with Will Yip about the recording of this record, I'm super stoked to hear "Hopeless Romantic." Apparently they really went wild with that one and the drums were all done on just a Casio keyboard?

JaytotheGee likes this.
  23. angel paste

grey hairs, get out of me zoots! Prestigious

Where to start with this band?

24. alkalinexandy

Trusted Supporter

Their latest EP Crucial Moments is actually a great representation of their sound as a whole, including some of the older stuff but...

I would usually suggest starting with How I Spent My Summer Vacation. That's probably the "fan favorite" and gives you a pretty good idea of what the band is capable of. Fast as fuck anthems, more mid-tempo songs that are also anthems, etc. If you're into skate-punk or really any sort of pop-punk, this should grab you.

After that, take a step back into Hopeless Romantic. It's a bit slower on the whole, but this is the record where they really started honing their songwriting chops. This is the one I usually suggest for people who are into the Gaslight Anthem, Frank Turner, Dave Hause, Flogging Molly, etc. It's not exactly like that but it certainly has a pretty similar swagger. And while he didn't produce it, it kinda has a Ted Hutt vibe to it.

If you're still on-board? Anything from HISMSV on should grab you.

If you want to delve into their past beyond that, for some scrappier (albeit super charming and fun--and often, no less anthemic) punk? Start with self-titled and just work backwards.

I'm sure others on this thread will have some suggestions too!

angel paste likes this.
  25. angel paste

grey hairs, get out of me zoots! Prestigious

thanks! definitely enjoyed Summer Vacation so excited to check out the rest