Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Book Thread Book • Page 98

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Melody Bot, Mar 13, 2015.

1. JamesGBoswell

Author

How comfortable are you with ambiguity in horror? One thing I've noticed is that there's a spectrum when it comes to comfort levels with ambiguity as a plot device in horror. Some people prefer the very ambiguous, creeping, growing dread of existential horror like in Bird Box, while others prefer the explicit, in-your-face, "I'm going to kill you right now with this knife I'm holding in my hand"-sort of unambiguous terror like in slashers and gore-fests.

I fall almost completely on the side of the former; I don't want to see what the monster looks like or even know if there's really a monster there at all, I just want to be afraid that there could be a monster and believe it's probably horrible, if so. What about you?

2. I read White Noise earlier this year and I really liked it. I want to read another DeLillo but I don't think I'm ready to do Underworld. any recommendations?

3. GBlades

Trusted

I read Big Fish pretty quickly, it's such a miniature novel compared to Sanderson/Jordan and the usual reads. The stories within the story were pretty clever and creative but I feel the movie portrayed the visual medium a lot better. Especially the ending.

fluxyjoe likes this.
  4. marsupial jones

make a bagel without the hole

The Names
    Americana - his first novel, I’d maybe avoid reading this until you read some of his other work. I enjoy this though and it oddly reminds me of Mad Men and On the Road,
    End Zone
    Running Dog
    Zero K
    Libra
    Mao II
    Point Omega - very short book

these are all enjoyable DeLillo books that are around the length of White Noise or shorter. Underworld is by far his longest book and is a true outlier as far as page count and scope of story.

none of the books listed are like White Noise in terms of story but DeLillo uses a lot of the same themes and writing styles and I find all of his work (even the ones not listed) very enjoyable. By far my favorite writer.

Kate, angrycandy and jordalsh like this.
  5. this is great, thank you! i’ll probably see which one of these is at the library or my local store

6. marsupial jones

welcome!

I would imagine most of the ones I have listed would be at either location as they must be better sellers than the others. I find these ones at most stores when i browse the sections. Some of his other works (Ratner’s Star, Players, Great Jones Street, etc.) I only found on Amazon.

7. GBlades

Trusted

I picked up Legend of the Condor Heroes and Call of Cthulhu because they both interest me! Never read Lovecraft before

8. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

Audible’s members Black Friday sale went live and I’m already feeling the bank account pain

theagentcoma and Colby Searcy like this.
  9. Night Channels

Trusted

Has anyone read Coyote Songs?

10. Donnie Ruth

Trusted Supporter

I have finished Imaginary Friend and this book is everything I love in a horror novel!

The plot is so god damn eerie yet simple to begin: a little boy and his mom escaping an abusive marriage, come to a new small town, and the 7 year old boy goes missing in the woods for 6 days to only come back with talks of an imaginary friend.

The first 300 pages builds the story, characters, and town like most Stephen King novels do, and it only turns into an epic (or brutal) battle of good vs. evil. It has twists, it has some very great "horror" scenes, and then has a very ambitious ending.

I do think the climax took a while to get there and got a little messy at parts, but in the end, it was totally worth the 704 page journey and I'm bummed I'm no longer reading this. Chobsky's writing is so easy and this novel reads quick, and I really want more horror novels from him in the future. To go from Perks to this is absolutely ridiculous lol.

Kate and Colby Searcy like this.
  11. Rowan5215

An inconsequential shift as the continents drift.

anyone got any best of the decade lists/suggestions? I've been really slack the last few years but hoping to make up for it over Christmas if I can

(having said that, just started Hanif Abdurraqib's They Can't Kill Us Until They Kill Us. it's goddamn incredible)

Colby Searcy and jordalsh like this.
  12. The Lucky Moose

I'm Emotional, I Hug the Block Prestigious

The Guardian has a pretty good one I think

13. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

I couldn't get through the "lost" Walt Whitman novella. I immensely love Leaves of Grass but this was a slog to read, and more of a novelty item IMO. If I hadn't known Whitman was the author, I would've put it down much earlier. A shame.

Now I'm between Barbara Kingsolver's Prodigal Summer or Gabriel García Márquez's Love in the Time of Cholera--not sure which to choose. I've read Kingsolver before (The Poisonwood Bible is incredible) but this would be my first foray into Márquez (would 100 Years be a better starting point?)

14. For what it's worth, I think 100 Years is a masterpiece, and I found Cholera to be a total slog.

I'm also reading Poisonwood Bible now (a bit over halfway through) and I love it.

OotyPa likes this.
  15. The Lucky Moose

I'm Emotional, I Hug the Block Prestigious

I’m read Tolkien’s Letters From Father Christmas and it’s really sweet

16. Leftandleaving

I will be okay. everything Supporter

100YOS is amazing

17. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

18. marsupial jones

yeah Solitude is magnificent and Cholera was a sluggish chore.

19. theagentcoma

yeah good okay Prestigious

I get to redeem one free Audible book because of the settlement but I'm struggling to decide what I want. I normally read fantasy and I'm in the middle of the Stormlight Archives but none of those are eligible via the redemption code.

I'm interested in Hunter S. Thompson's Fear and Loathing on the Campaign Trail but I'm not too keen on the narrator from the sample I listened to. Anyone have some recs?

20. Garrett

settlement?

as for recs—always shadow of the wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon

Colby Searcy likes this.
  21. theagentcoma

yeah good okay Prestigious

22. Garrett

theagentcoma likes this.
  23. Rowan5215

An inconsequential shift as the continents drift.

OotyPa and jordalsh like this.
  24. Philll

Trusted

Keep thinking of books I'd like to get for christmas, but really the better gift would be time to actually read them.

25. Rowan5215 likes this.