Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Book Thread Book • Page 97

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Melody Bot, Mar 13, 2015.

1. JamesGBoswell

Author

Growing up, I loved watching the Twilight Zone, especially the horror episodes with a dramatic twist at the end. When I first got into reading horror fiction, I found H.P. Lovecraft's work to be terrifying, thrilling, and enthralling. Now, I'm trying to make it as a professional author and I wrote a collection of short, existential horror stories inspired by the Twilight Zone and H.P. Lovecraft. It's called, "Burn: Stories."

If you want to check it out, I'm giving it away for free on my website in exchange for an email address which I'll use to send you more short horror stories every month.

Learn more here: http://bit.ly/BurnBookFreeDownload

2. aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

Finished Death's End and that's the Three-Body trilogy done. As with the other two it went in a direction I never imagined. Each one of these books has had a sequence which just floored me In the one, it was the solar system being absorbed into two-dimensional space. The whole novel was nihilistic but in an optimistic sort of way (if that makes sense). I highly recommend the series to anyone.

drewinseries, Vivatoto and johnnyutes like this.
  3. currently reading three books which usually doesn't work well for me but I guess we'll see! working my way through Dominicana by Angie Cruz which I'm finding enjoyable but not yet propulsive 100 pages in. still, i think it really nails a feeling of fear, confusion, and pressure for a very young immigrant that has me still thinking about it even if I'm not moving too quickly through it.

also reading The Emigrants by Sebald on recommendation from my local bookseller. liking it so far and the use of photography is really interesting to me.

finally, I want to blow through Tony Kushner's A Bright Room Called Day before I see the new production later this week (which I'm really excited about, Angels in America is probably my favorite play and I will never forgive myself for not finding a way to see the revival last year)

4. @@ron

Regular

I read Looking For Alaska yesterday and then watched the first episode on Hulu. I really liked it. Seems like the show is following it very closely. Ready for the tears to come.

5. drewinseries

Drew

The Three Body Problem Trilogy is some of the best sci fi has to offer.

Vivatoto, GBlades and aoftbsten like this.
  6. GBlades

Trusted

Three-Body Problem is absolutely insane! Will always put that forward for recommendations.

7. drewinseries

Drew

I have The Gone World on deck. Heard it is a great sci fi thriller. Its marketed as Inception meets True Detective.

8. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

9. JamesGBoswell

Author

"That Feeling When You Know You're Doomed: Horror Stories"

A woman confesses to killing several people, but no one can see the bodies. An expedition through the jungle to find a lost indigenous tribe leads to a terrifying trial by ordeal. A woman becomes trapped in a wilderness cabin as a flesh-eating mold erodes her sanity. A missile silo launch team receives a dire warning from an alternate reality as they're about to fire their payload. A hiker discovers the source of the terrifying rumors surrounding a mysterious mountain. These stories and more await you in this collection of existential horror by James G. Boswell.

Visit the book's Amazon page: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07S3Z6LK8/

[​IMG]

10. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

Loved Clarice Lispector’s Near to the Wild Heart. It’s a modernist masterpiece, what else is there to say? Up there with Virginia Woolf’s The Waves and Joyce’s A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man.

Following it up with Walt Whitman’s “lost novel,” Life and Adventures of Jack Engle. Really enjoying it so far. It’s actually pretty funny.

jordalsh and Colby Searcy like this.
  11. Colby Searcy

Is admired for his impeccable (food) tastes Prestigious

... And I'm currently reading Killer Instinct by James Patterson lol

12. drewinseries

Drew

Just finished this. Adored it. A beautiful dark fantasy book woven into a family drama.

[​IMG]

13. angrycandy

I’m drama in these khaki towns Supporter

that’s a cool ass cover yo

14. GBlades

Trusted

Also came here to say that cover intrigues me.

drewinseries likes this.
  15. theagentcoma

yeah good okay Prestigious

I learned today that there is a whole series of erotic fiction about Bigfoot. Like 13 books. So that's a thing.

Colby Searcy and jordalsh like this.
  16. angrycandy

I’m drama in these khaki towns Supporter

@Vivatoto not sure if you know or not but Oz Perkins (The Blackcoat's Daughter; I Am the Pretty Thing That Lives in the House) is directing the film adaptation for A Head Full of Ghosts. I love his work so I'm really excited to see what he does with it

Colby Searcy and Vivatoto like this.
  17. Vivatoto

Royal Court of Princess Donut Prestigious

I didn't know that! I remember a few years ago I was watching an interview with him on the Horror Writer's Podcast and he was talking about how excited he was that it got picked up for a movie but I don't think I've heard anything since. I love both of those movies and that vibe seems perfect.

angrycandy likes this.
  18. Colby Searcy

Is admired for his impeccable (food) tastes Prestigious

How many have you read so far?

19. Texas Flood

Mulva? Supporter

So I’ve been on a book “break” since this summer, but I’m thinking it’s time to jump back in now that the weather is getting colder.

Colby Searcy likes this.
  20. Donnie Ruth

Trusted Supporter

Absolutely am backing @Vivatoto a few pages back on reading Imaginary Friend by the author who wrote Perks of Being A Wallflower (Stephen Chbosky).

It’s a 700 page book, but I’m 140 pages in and incredibly intrigued. It has an obvious Stephen King vibe, but also builds upon Chbosky’s very easy writing style.

Vivatoto likes this.
  21. JamesGBoswell

Author

"Burn: Horror Stories" is a collection of dread-inducing, mind-twisting, existential horror stories inspired by The Twilight Zone and H.P. Lovecraft. It's now available on Amazon for 33 percent off until Nov. 13.

Visit the book's Amazon page: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07XH1FPP1

A man's wife and business partner believe they killed him as part of an insurance scam, but then he reappears as if nothing happened. Two fugitives take shelter in an abandoned industrial facility, but what they find inside might be more dangerous than what pursues them. A tech guru's lifestyle is immersed in smart technology, but what if it's so smart, it's dangerous? The parents of an out-of-control child will do anything to curb her awful behavior, but at what cost? A woman awakens upside down in a totaled car with no recollection of how she got there. Will she be able to find help, or will something more sinister find her first? These stories and more await you in this collection of existential horror by James G. Boswell.

[​IMG]

22. GBlades

Trusted

I've always loved the movie Big Fish, it's a great positive adventure but I did NOT know that it was based on a book after all these years so I've got that on my next read after The Great Hunt!

Texas Flood likes this.
  23. Vivatoto

Royal Court of Princess Donut Prestigious

It’s just going to get better and better.

Donnie Ruth likes this.
  24. theagentcoma

yeah good okay Prestigious

I think they got removed from the Kindle store haha

Colby Searcy likes this.
  25. wisdomfordebris

Moderator Moderator

Started Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell today. Not sure what to expect, but so far so good.