Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Book Thread Book • Page 93

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Melody Bot, Mar 13, 2015.

1. rocketsguy03

allisterkid

Could use some books recommendations. My favorite book genres are...

Nonfiction sports (preferably basketball): Boys Among Men, Don't Put Me In Coach My Incredible NCAA Journey From the End of the Bench to the End of the Bench, The Book of Basketball, The Jordan Rules, etc.

Mystery novels: Harlan Coben is one of my favorite authors so I love his Myron Bolitar series.

Nonfiction outer space: the only book I ever really recall reading from this genre is An Astronauts Guide to Life by Chris Hadfield, but I'd like to explore similar books.

And Harry Potter rereads times a million, but I never ventured much into other series that fans of Harry Potter read other than reading The Hunger Games series (and mostly enjoying it quite a bit).

I do NOT enjoy medieval types of fantasy genre like Lords Of The Ring or A Song Of Ice and Fire series.

But really you can recommend whatever and I'll look to check it out, just trying to read more.

Colby Searcy likes this.
  2. Colby Searcy

Is admired for his impeccable (food) tastes Prestigious

Do you have Goodreads? I highly recommend that website for finding recs and just having an easy way to peruse like books.

My recommendations for mysteries are The Word Is Murder by Anthony Horowitz and The Fourth Monkey by J.D. Barker

rocketsguy03 and Texas Flood like this.
  3. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

Andre Agassi’s Open is the best sports biography ever written, so that might be a good tangential place to start.

If you like Harry Potter, any of the Riordan series capture the fun adventure nature of the first three and are legit pretty funny. Dude is a master of that age group and genre.

If you like Hunger Games, maybe give Scythe by Neal Shusterman a try.

If you’re wanting to try a more adult Harry Potter, Lev Grossman’s Magicians trilogy is an absolute must but also just get through the first book for where the second two are absolutely transcendent. (This series is also far more a love letter to Narnia than Harry Potter, but in a twisted way.)

Other YA fantasy/adventure stuff that makes easy reads and launch points similar to what you like: Leigh Bardugo’s Six of Crows duology, Amie Kaufman and whatshisface’s Illuminae Files trilogy (side-note: these three have the best audiobooks in history), Scott Westerfeld has like five series that are worthwhile.

(Obligatory because of who I am as a person though your list kinda says it won’t interest you: Carlos Ruiz Zafon’s The Shadow of the Wind.)

rocketsguy03 and Colby Searcy like this.
  4. GBlades

Trusted

So I've had to up my Goodreads reading from 50 to 75 books, I'm doing a lot better than last year and prior. Might even hope to hit 100 but I wont push myself to ruin the reading pleasure.

Colby Searcy and awakeohsleeper like this.
  5. drewinseries

Drew

Unfortunately I found myself a bit disappointed with Lock Every Door. Feel like it could have benefited from being anywhere from 50-100 pages shorter, with emphasis on the later. It also had the fact that I read Rosemarys Baby this month as well going against it.

I think I wanted a spookier vibe and payoff that I didn’t think I got. It certainly made me want to keep reading tho. Though I never thought to myself “this is great” if you know what I mean.

Colby Searcy likes this.
  6. Horrorca

Trusted

just finished Langan’s the Fisherman - p cool horror book! gave me Lovecraft vibes

also re-read Saunders’s short story Victory Lap tonight - quite the story, his writing in thoughts is incredible

drewinseries likes this.
  7. Colby Searcy

All this is very far and I agree. I think it was building up something that didn't quite get entirely resolved and seems like there is going to be another book or something, at least that's the feeling I got with the ending leaving things unresolved.

There's definitely something about his books that keep me satisfied and coming back even if it's not necessarily anything great or amazing.

drewinseries likes this.
  8. Horrorca

Trusted

read Cheever’s The Swimmer - p amazing

also started All the Pretty Horses & it is amazing - can’t believe ir took me so long to read my first McCarthy

also picked up England’s Hidden Reverse in preparation for Current 93’s NY show - excited to dig in!!

theagentcoma likes this.
  9. theagentcoma

yeah good okay Prestigious

that's probably McCarthy at his least depressing too lol

10. just finished Song of Solomon and fuck. the last four pages...incredible. An astonishingly dense book, the way Morrison wove scenes together was just magical, the kinda technique that surprises me over and over again.

probably gonna re-read Beloved next

OotyPa and jpmalone4 like this.
  11. Helloelloallo

Trusted Supporter

Has anyone read Wanderers by Chuck Wendig? I am about 70% through and liking it so far but it's very heavy. It'd recommend it for horror/speculative fiction fans, but also be warned that it's very political and dark. Make sure you have a strong stomach and aren't too anxious about the current state of affairs as it takes the moment we're in politically and turns it up to 11 (as well as featuring some pretty vivid gore and traumatic moments described in detail).

A few complaints are that it's very dated in a weird way. Not outdated, but it's full of references to say that this book was written in 2019. In 5 years it'll almost be a time capsule. Some of the political options also feel randomly inserted and inorganic and distracting, but the main arc is very enjoyable and while political, it's handled realistically. Hope to see how this one ends by the middle of the week.

https://www.goodreads.com/en/book/show/32603079

EDIT: Ooops, should have searched first, just saw mentions a few comments up. Thoughts if any of ya'll are finished?

DickyCullz likes this.
  12. drewinseries

Drew

It’s on my TBR excited to get to it

Helloelloallo likes this.
  13. Colby Searcy

@Donnie Ruth I finished The Turn of The Key finally. I'd put it in the middle of the pack along with Westaway for me personally.

Gonna start The Escape Room by Megan Goldin after I finish the Gillian Flynn short story

Donnie Ruth likes this.
  14. Donnie Ruth

Trusted Supporter

Great to hear! I’m still super excited to read it!

Colby Searcy likes this.
  15. Colby Searcy

Reading anything currently?

16. Donnie Ruth

Trusted Supporter

Yeah I’m currently reading Hearts in Atlantis by Stephen King! I always take a bit longer reading him because, well, they’re always a bit longer but also because he goes into such great detail I take it in a little more slowly.

17. The Lucky Moose

I'm Emotional, I Hug the Block Prestigious

I enjoyed this one:

Not a Game: The Incredible Rise and Unthinkable Fall of Allen Iverson by Kent Babb

Also, have a look here:

The Fantasy Books Thread • forum.chorus.fm

We talk about a lot of different types of fantasy, not just medieval-type stuff.

rocketsguy03 likes this.
  18. John Lopiano

aka Broken Parachute Moderator

I just started “Helter Skelter” by Vincent Bugliosi and Curt Gentry. I can already tell you that the next book I read after it is going to be something way more uplifting because this book seems pretty macabre.

19. jpmalone4

Stay Lucky Supporter

I breezed through Love by Toni Morrison this week and I feel like that book needs a reassessment, it’s obvious she was trying to tell us something years ago but we weren’t paying close enough attention. It’s definitely very resonant today.

20. drewinseries

Drew

I have been doing Book of the Month but found myself skipping more than actually getting books. I'm into weirder, darker, lit for the most part and found it wasn't doing it for me. Then I found Night Worms and am really excited about subbing to their monthly box:

Night Worms Horror is Our Happy Place

21. was always interested in what I've read about this one but it always seemed to be one that people forgot about from her. wanna check it out one day

also not super relevant but my high school english teacher had a promo poster for that book in her classroom

22. Donnie Ruth

Trusted Supporter

I am very intrigued and interested by this. Do they have a September package coming? I see the August one and the ads for the October one but nothing on September.

23. jpmalone4

Stay Lucky Supporter

I think you're right, I went to the bookstore this week to get Jazz but Love was like the only book of her's they had in stock. It's short (only like 200 pages) and a later work though, so that could be why.

24. drewinseries

Drew

September is sold out, when I subbed, it starts with October. You can YouTube the packages, they are VERY deep in what you get, so I don't think they do a ton each month.

Donnie Ruth likes this.
  25. Deanna

Trusted Supporter

@drewinseries The Night Worms ladies are great! I was in a summer reading group with them on IG and bought a little Malerman package from them. Have yet to sub, but might do that at some point.

drewinseries likes this.