Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Book Thread Book • Page 89

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Melody Bot, Mar 13, 2015.

1. Donnie Ruth

Trusted Supporter

Also I finished 7 1/2 Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle!

It was ... pretty good. There was just so, so much built into it that I felt it nearly impossible to keep up with all the details. But overall an enjoyable read.

Colby Searcy likes this.
  2. Colby Searcy

Is admired for his impeccable (food) tastes Prestigious

Yeah I can definitely agree with that. Very meaty read and alot to unpack. Thought it was really well done and crafted well though and enjoyed the story being told alot.

Donnie Ruth likes this.
  3. Donnie Ruth

Trusted Supporter

Also didn’t realize the new Riley Sager book came out today. I was in a Barnes & Noble and saw it and figured fuck it and bought it. Will read it next!

Colby Searcy likes this.
  4. Colby Searcy

You'll have to let me know how this one is. I liked The Last Time You Lied and don't get me started on Final Girls lol.

I'm curious, you said you bought the book... Do you keep all these books or do you still them back or what? I'm curious cuz I've gotten to the point where I get most of my books from the library and but very few even though I have 2 bookshelves full atm

Donnie Ruth likes this.
  5. Colby Searcy

About to finish up People Kill People by Ellen Hopkins

Then I'm gonna read Invisible and Unsolved by James Patterson/David Ellis. I believe it was @cryates who said this one was good?? My wife is also reading both of these simultaneously with me so that's pretty cool.

6. Donnie Ruth

Trusted Supporter

I’ll let you know once I start it!

But yes I like to own and keep them, however, I know I am going to run into a situation where my books will outgrow my space. I currently live at home still in a tiny room, but I will be moving out within a year or so with my girlfriend and we both plan on having a BIG bookshelf! But like, we have 200ish books combined haha

And unfortunately living in MA we ain’t getting a big place right away lol

Colby Searcy likes this.
  7. GBlades

Trusted

Going to start reading Growing Things & Other Stories by Paul Tremblay. One of the favourite horror writers to date!

8. Deanna

Trusted Supporter

Is anyone here in a book club or anything? I'm currently doing a summer of horror one through my Chat Sematary IG and we're reading Boy's Life by Robert R. McCammon right now. There's going to be another book next month (Off Season by Jack Ketchum).

It gave me an idea of starting a book club through my other podcast, but since I'm not sure how many people would be into the idea, I'd love to know what you guys think of book clubs in general. My current thinking is 1 book every 2 months and to have it be a mix of fiction and non-fiction for some added variety.

Vivatoto likes this.
  9. Colby Searcy

I like the idea of book club but don't really like actually talking about books with others IN a book club if that makes sense?

Deanna likes this.
  10. Deanna

Trusted Supporter

I get that! Just trying to gauge if there’s even enough interest for me to start one. I’d probably want at least like 5 people participating.

The Lucky Moose and Colby Searcy like this.
  11. Colby Searcy

I'm not trying to be a downer or anything I just have weird feelings towards talking about what I like to people for some reason. Same goes with comic books and such. I guess it's mostly just that I try to find enjoyment out of everything I read and try not to nitpick too closely. Also I tend to not pick up on things very well when I'm reading and feel like an idiot when it's pointed out to me how obvious it should of been haha.

Sorry I'm not being very helpful. I really hope you can find interest enough to start one

Deanna and Vivatoto like this.
  12. Vivatoto

Royal Court of Princess Donut Prestigious

It's been awhile since I read Boys Life...I'm pretty sure it was one of the McCammon's I really liked, there were a few I didn't. I seem to recall it being more action focused and really intense in the third act. And Off Season rules.

13. Deanna

Trusted Supporter

This is actually helpful! I figured they wouldn't be for everyone and that's totally fine. Thanks for the input!

I've read about 1/5 of it so far and I'm enjoying it. The first summer pick was Children of the Night by Dan Simmons and almost no one finished it because there was way too much medical jargon and it was so slow. So Boy's Life is a big improvement for most of the group haha. Excited to check out Off Season!

14. Vivatoto

Lol I saw you were reading that. It's a good book, not one of my favorites from Simmons, but that's totally his style. Nobody researches like him. Off Season is a blast and a super quick and easy read.

15. Deanna

Trusted Supporter

I usually try so hard to finish books that I start, but just couldn't do it with that one haha.

16. Colby Searcy

I just saw a book last night at B&N by Dan Simmons that my wife pointed out as something I'd probably like called The Fifth Heart.

It being like 600 pages seems daunting but I think I could/would listen to the Audiobook

17. Colby Searcy

I should note here that it's different when talking to you guys in here(I actually quite enjoy it) and I guess that's because I feel less judged and I can't see y'all's reactions to my dumb questions and such :crylaugh:

18. Vivatoto

That's his take on Sherlock Holmes! I do think you'd like it, it's mystery not horror (obviously). It's great.

Colby Searcy likes this.
  19. Deanna

Trusted Supporter

The group I'm in now just does it via Instagram messages, which is nice since we don't actually have to like all hop on Skype or something to discuss. Also, I get enough of Skype from my podcasts and don't need any more of it.

Colby Searcy likes this.
  20. Donnie Ruth

Trusted Supporter

Finished Lock Every Door by Riley Sager!

I found it to be a very easy, yet enjoyable read. I liked his other novels more mostly because this plot of “apartment sitting and something goes wrong” wasn’t totally unique. It was a slow-burner thriller, but I was into it.

The ending is going to be totally hit or totally miss for people ... and I fall in the category of liking it.

Colby Searcy likes this.
  21. Colby Searcy

Look forward to reading this after I finish these 2 James Patterson books.

Do you find this book synopsis similar to Ruth Ware's new one at all? I just can't shake the fact that they both just seem similar to me

22. Donnie Ruth

Trusted Supporter

It definitely sounds similar but I think Ware's new book will be more about the spying technology of a smart house where as Lock Every Door doesn't really go into that angle.

I think they both will be slightly different, but the overall premise of getting paid to stay in a random house where something sinister is taking place is very, very close. Thankfully I'll read them a few months apart but yeah, I feel like they'll be the same idea.

Colby Searcy likes this.
  23. Deanna

Trusted Supporter

Since at least a few people are interested in the book club, I'll be moving forward with it. If anyone here might be interested, but isn't totally sure yet, shoot me your email and I can make sure you get the details! Then you can decide if it's something you'd want to do and no worries at all if it isn't.

24. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

Daisy Jones And The Six was great , the only problem with the whole fictional band thing is that I really wanted to hear their music but I know they're making a tv show

ChaseTx likes this.
  25. Iain

Regular

The Lucky Moose likes this.