Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Book Thread Book • Page 86

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Melody Bot, Mar 13, 2015.

1. The Lucky Moose

I'm Emotional, I Hug the Block Prestigious

Thanks!

2. Leftandleaving

I will be okay. everything Supporter

I did not enjoy the passage lol

3. Same. I thought the first 250 pages were a great combination of Stephen King and Michael Crichton, then it takes a huge dive in quality when it jumps ahead in time.

Leftandleaving likes this.
  4. Leftandleaving

Almost exactly how I felt lol

5. Night Channels

Trusted

Salem's Lot
    N0S4A2

Vivatoto likes this.
  6. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

If you just read The Passage’s first 250 pages and forget the rest of the trilogy exists it’s near perfect.

NOS4A2 is my “how does everyone else love this” of horror. Bafflingly bad book for me.

Colby Searcy likes this.
  7. Donnie Ruth

Trusted Supporter

Read all 3 and loved all 3!

Colby Searcy likes this.
  8. Night Channels

Trusted

yikes

9. Leftandleaving

I remember being pretty disappointed in nos4a2 as well tbh

Garrett L. likes this.
  10. Vivatoto

Royal Court of Princess Donut Prestigious

It's a masterpiece.

Colby Searcy and Night Channels like this.
  11. marsupial jones

make a bagel without the hole

Yeah I was not a fan of N0S4A2. Some good ideas and execution here and there but nothing special

12. GBlades

Trusted

A Discovery of Witches
    NOS4A2
    Dresden has some important vampire roles but not from their perspective
    The Passage series is great, after the time jump I still felt the I need to know the answer so continued.
    Fevre Dreams is written by George R. R. Martin
    The Strain by Guillermo Del Toro

Colby Searcy and Vivatoto like this.
  13. Vivatoto

Oh shit I forgot about Fevre Dream. That's definitely a favorite.

14. GBlades

Trusted

It's the first I go to if I'm ever in a vampiric mood!

15. Vivatoto

In a different world GRRM kept writing horror fiction like that and Skin Trade and I can't say that world would be better but I sure would have liked to have seen it.

16. GBlades

Trusted

GRRM does like to branch out his workings. From ASOIAF and Nightflyers and Fevre Dream. Now he's doing a game from FromSoftware. He has a lot on his plate and we get it, its not WoW but its content. I like content

17. Colby Searcy

Is admired for his impeccable (food) tastes Prestigious

Interesting that you didn't enjoy it. I haven't read it but own it and am a big fan of Joe Hill because of his comics work. Only ever read a short story collection of his outside of comics.

Have you read The Fireman? I know that one seems to be great from what I hear.

I know recently the books you've posted about were all ones I've read.

Have you read Anthony Horowitz's new books?

18. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

A friend and I read it at the same time and we both struggled greatly to finish it. Halfway through it she was like “I just do not care” and I was like “oh thank God me either” but we both still finished it and our mutual hatred of it is now a recurring joke.

Tbh I disliked nos4a2 so much I kinda decided to not give anything else a try by him.

Colby Searcy likes this.
  19. The Lucky Moose

Thanks @ All

20. Philll

Trusted

Shit, did not know he had a book (books?). Add that on to my list stretching off into the distance.

21. Donnie Ruth

Trusted Supporter

I haven’t! What would you recommend to read by him? I know Magpie Murders is on my list to get to!

Colby Searcy likes this.
  22. Colby Searcy

I've only read his most recent murder mystery ones but they are all incredible.

Magpie Murders
    The Word Is Murder
    The Sentence is Death

I absolutely loved the execution of Magpie Murders, however the content can get a little meaty at times and it was very British so it kinda dragged, to me, a bit but the ending was absolutely brilliant.

The Word Is Murder and The Sentence Is Death are both in a series revolving around a Detective and Anthony Horowitz himself being a character in his own book. Word is my personal favorite and the one I keep trying to convince my wife to read.

If you like puzzles, there are alot of puzzle elements to all of these that are really well done.

Texas Flood and Donnie Ruth like this.
  23. Donnie Ruth

Trusted Supporter

Thanks for the recommendations, I’m going to hit up a used book store in the next few days and see if any are available!

Colby Searcy likes this.
  24. Colby Searcy

Any time!

You have anything you're looking forward to the rest of the year?

25. The Lucky Moose

I finished it. I’m so happy I did, because it’s a really profound read. Beautifully written too.

For those too lazy to click on the link: it’s John Grave’s 1959 account of canoeing down a part of the Brazos in Texas. It’s however also about frontier life, local history and about how modern life is changing everything (without any bitterness).