Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Book Thread Book • Page 85

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Melody Bot, Mar 13, 2015.

1. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

Sooo excited to start that after the book I’m reading now. Night Sky with Exit Wounds is truly gorgeous.

ECV likes this.
  2. tvck

Trusted

Been having trouble getting into another book after catching up on Red Rising series. Started "Seven Blades in Black" by Sam Sykes last night. So far I enjoy his writing. About 700 pages so hopefully it grabs me quickly.

3. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

Finished The Folded Leaf by William Maxwell. Stunning coming-of-age fiction book about friendship, masculinity, and the profound love shared between two very different teenage boys. It’s set in 1915 chicago and has such a nostalgic and tender feel to it. Really felt attached to the characters, and the prose is sharp but also lyrical. I discovered it at a discounted price randomly at an antique bookstore- never heard of the book or author and was hyped that it turned out to be good. Now that ive finished it, i can say it’s one of the best stories ive read in a long time.

Also just started Ocean Vuong’s On Earth We’re Briefly Gorgeous. It’s searingly beautiful from the very first sentence and hasn’t let up. I am thoroughly invested.

ECV and EmmanuelSCastle like this.
  4. Colby Searcy

Is admired for his impeccable (food) tastes Prestigious

Too tired to read the last 25 pages tonight but I'll finish it in the morning!

What did you think??

5. Texas Flood

Mulva? Supporter

It was pretty good. This one was alot like The Word is Murder as far as setup and the final reveal, which isnt bad but I just wish he would have made this one stand out alittle more then the last book.

Colby Searcy likes this.
  6. Colby Searcy

I can see that. I still loved it and all the puzzles and reveals!

Do you think there will be a 3rd?

Texas Flood likes this.
  7. Texas Flood

Mulva? Supporter

I think there will be just because Horowitz mentions in the story that he has a three book contract with Hawthrone.

Colby Searcy likes this.
  8. Colby Searcy

And he mentioned it alot but the ending left that ambiguous

9. Texas Flood

Mulva? Supporter

Very true but I think we get a third book.

Colby Searcy likes this.
  10. Texas Flood

Mulva? Supporter

One of my favorite things to do after finishing a book is too discuss it with my wife. Well shes more of a fantasy/adventure fan and Im more into mystery/thriller. We dont really get to talk much detail about the books we read,so we've decided to do our own kind of "book club". The one we are reading this time is The Secret History by Donna Tartt.

11. drewinseries

Drew

What's your favorite mystery/thriller?

12. Texas Flood

Mulva? Supporter

Its tough but I would say "And Then There Were None" by Agatha Christie.

EmmanuelSCastle and Colby Searcy like this.
  13. Colby Searcy

My man!

EmmanuelSCastle and Texas Flood like this.
  14. Colby Searcy

My wife and I are both big readers but usually different genres. We always like to talk about books that interest us both after we both read them. Some recent examples are The Silent Patient, The Outsider, and Sharp Objects (I'm currently reading this).

Texas Flood likes this.
  15. Texas Flood

Mulva? Supporter

Nice! My wife also really enjoys Thriller books too, so it makes it easy to find new books that we will both like.

Sharp Objects is another one of my favorites! Great choice!

Colby Searcy likes this.
  16. marsupial jones

make a bagel without the hole

@Texas Flood you're in for a treat! The Secret History is amazing, one of my favorites.

17. Texas Flood

Mulva? Supporter

18. Grapevine_Twine

It's a Chunky! Supporter

Someone in this thread said Visit from the Goon Squad was bad??? I just finished and adored it.

19. marsupial jones

make a bagel without the hole

Yeah I liked it a lot too. The “tone” of the writing really connects with me and makes for an easy / quick read

20. AP_Punk

achin' to be Prestigious

Currently reading Someone Who Will Love You in All Your Damaged Glory by Raphael Bob-Waksberg.

Such a beautiful, hilarious collection of absurd short stories. There are times when it all feels too real and relatable and you're like, wait what happened to the silly humor, why am I crying now? Highly recommended!

21. Texas Flood

Mulva? Supporter

I didnt realize how long each chapter was for The Secret History. Im not a super fast reader but Id like to think I can go a good enough speed,but chapter two told me its almost 2 hours long.
    I really dont like stopping inbetween chapters,but I think I dont really have a choice with this one.
    The books is pretty good so far though.

Colby Searcy likes this.
  22. The Lucky Moose

I'm Emotional, I Hug the Block Prestigious

Any recommendations for vampire themed fiction? Especially from the perspectives of vampires?

Also, are Anne Rice’s vampire books very scary? Because I can’t really deal with scary.

23. Colby Searcy

Twilight
    New Moon
    Eclipse
    Breaking Dawn

24. The Lucky Moose

I'm Emotional, I Hug the Block Prestigious

Lol Okay I should have said no Twilight

Colby Searcy likes this.
  25. Colby Searcy

I've always heard good things about Justin Cronin's books. Same with Salem's Lot.

My wife has read the first 3 Anne Rice's Vampire Chronicles and said they were really good, not really scary.

She's also read all of the Sookie Stackhouse books and enjoyed those too.

The Lucky Moose likes this.