Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Book Thread Book • Page 83

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Melody Bot, Mar 13, 2015.

1. wisdomfordebris

Moderator Moderator

Good choice.

2. wisdomfordebris

Moderator Moderator

Any thoughts on A Tale for the Time Being and Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell? Thinking of purchasing those two.

3. That's next on my list. I've heard mixed things, but I find something I love in every one of his short stories. How are you liking it?

Reading The Phantom Tollbooth for the first time. I remember seeing it on bookshelves at the library and in my school as a child, but I never read it. Now I can't put it down, and I wish my teacher had chosen to read that in school instead of Alice in Wonderland.

4. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

It’s weird so far, very weird, mostly referring to the POV/narrative structure, though i’m greatly enjoying the prose. I can’t give it a fair critique yet since i’ve only gotten to page 30 or so thus far.

fluxyjoe likes this.
  5. Vivatoto

Royal Court of Princess Donut Prestigious

Any thoughts on The Expanse series? Just started book 1.

6. Texas Flood

Mulva? Supporter

I was finally able to read The Word is Murder and I’ve got to say, Anthony Horowitz has done an amazing job of using different methods for whodunnit books. Just like Magpie Murders, he finds a way to think outside the box and keeps me completely invested in his books.

I can’t wait to read The Sentence is Death when it comes out the 28th of this month.

Colby Searcy likes this.
  7. Colby Searcy

Is admired for his impeccable (food) tastes Prestigious

Hell yeah!

I'm to the point where I'll read anything new he writes after he crushed it with his last few standalone books.

Really really curious what tale he's gonna come up with in The Sentence Is Death

Texas Flood likes this.
  8. Texas Flood

Mulva? Supporter

Im the same way! His books so far have been a real joy to read.

Colby Searcy likes this.
  9. tvck

Trusted

Started Dresden Files. Really enjoy the writing

10. Horrorca

Trusted

love 10th of December - thought it was fucking awesome

my roommate is reading Lincoln... & says it sucks ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

finished le Carré’s the Spy Who Came in from the Cold & it was dope! cerebral intrigue with an economic prose & none of that 007 bs

will finish Prometheus Rising this week & then I don’t know... maybe Blood Meridian, finally

awakeohsleeper likes this.
  11. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

@Horrorca More than halfway through Lincoln and it definitely does not suck... though I think Saunders probably needed a stricter editor. It's a hell of a page turner but there's a lot of fluff--which is saying a lot because I usually like fluff, but the narration occasionally (deliberately?) slips into purple prose (in the hopes of mystifying the reader? not sure). Its charming once in awhile, though if it goes on too long I'm taken out of the story.

12. huh, i thought Lincoln was incredibly propulsive and thought most of the prose was mystifying. i do get how it can be off putting though

ECV likes this.
  13. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

I just reached the "cacophony" part with the former slave Elson Farwell and the language was tough to wade through. I'm getting something out of it, but I definitely imagined Saunders keeping thesaurus.com open while writing that segment

edit- i do think that is exactly the intent of the prose in that section, but it kept me at a distance

14. DickyCullz

I create content for some of your favorite artists

I've only read up to...nemises games I think, but I fucking loved it. I feel like I've forgotten everything to pick up the next one though.

also, the tv series is great, need to get around to season 3

Vivatoto likes this.
  15. Colby Searcy

Is admired for his impeccable (food) tastes Prestigious

I think Lincoln In The Bardo would probably not be my thing.

Currently reading The Silent Patient

16. Re-reading Just Kids this week because I graduate from my MFA program next week and it feels good to be in love in New York

jordalsh likes this.
  17. congratulations!

ECV likes this.
  18. Vivatoto

Royal Court of Princess Donut Prestigious

I just finished. I wasn't in love with the first half, I'm not the biggest fan of mystery/detective stories but once the scope started expanding I was really getting into it. I think I'll start watching the first season, and probably read the second book after I finish Daniel Abraham's other series Long Price Quartet.

I also just read the Three Body Problem trilogy and my bar for sci fi is unfairly high.

19. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

Bought this second hand randomly for 99p or something like that and absolutely loved it. A joy to read.

20. Horrorca

Trusted

he is so good!! added TTSS to my list - I’m excited

didn’t expect to love this so much

21. aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

Oh man, I just finished The Three Body Problem. What a crazy and original ride that was. My imagination was going wild for the final few chapters. I can't wait to pick up The Dark Forrest.

johnnyutes and GBlades like this.
  22. yung_ting

Trusted Supporter

Lincoln in the Bardo is a masterpiece and I will hear no different

Rowan5215 and Wharf Rat like this.
  23. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

I was entertained, definitely a page turner but I’m a much bigger fan of his short stories ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Starting the newly released Sylvia Plath novella Mary Ventura and the Ninth Kingdom next. I also picked up Love in the Time of Cholera and Heart of Darkness at a street festival today. Never read either of them before.

24. yung_ting

Trusted Supporter

10th of December is my favorite story collection I’ve ever read I think, Civilwarland was amazing too. Gotta track down the others

OotyPa likes this.