Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Book Thread Book • Page 81

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Melody Bot, Mar 13, 2015.

1. ChaseTx

Big hat enthusiast Prestigious

I don't read a ton of nonfiction but I have been reading more lately. Especially in audiobook as it seems less dry that way (not that the books in reading are dry, just that the idea of reading nonfiction feels a little bit like a chore)

Colby Searcy likes this.
  2. Deanna

Trusted Supporter

Currently reading Elevated: The Global Rise of the N.B.A. and then I'll be getting to work on Stephen King's Skeleton Crew. I'm starting to feel a little behind on King reading. I just read Walk This Way by Geoff Edgers and it's a great read on the Run-DMC and Aerosmith collaboration.

Also, just a heads up that I'm looking to sell some books, so if anyone is into John Saul or Lawrence Sanders, let me know. Bonus points if you're in OC/LA and I wouldn't have to ship them because that gets expensive and idk if the books would really be worth the cost to ship them. For music book fans, I also have a hardcover of Meet Me in the Bathroom by Lizzy Goodman that I'm selling. It's a wonderful read.

3. Texas Flood

Mulva? Supporter

Finally got Magpie Murders! Cant wait to dive into this book.

Colby Searcy likes this.
  4. DickyCullz

I create content for some of your favorite artists

Anyone ready Michelle McNamara's I'll Be Gone In The Dark? Got a vacation coming up next week and looking for some slightly inappropriate pool side reading.

Colby Searcy likes this.
  5. Colby Searcy

Is admired for his impeccable (food) tastes Prestigious

Book and Audiobook are both great

ChaseTx and DickyCullz like this.
  6. Texas Flood

Mulva? Supporter

Just finished Magpie Murders. I highly recommend it to any murder mystery fans.

It was a refreshing and unique take on a whodunnit type novel.

Donnie Ruth and Colby Searcy like this.
  7. ChaseTx

Yeah it's great. I'd never read any true crime books and honestly not much nonfiction but I enjoyed it a lot

Colby Searcy likes this.
  8. Colby Searcy

Probably my favorite execution of a book ever, loved it so much.

You should read The Word Is Murder too.

Texas Flood likes this.
  9. Texas Flood

Mulva? Supporter

I’ll admit at first I wasn’t sure I’d enjoy it as much but then things kept getting better and better and I couldn’t wait to finish it.

I actually have The Word Is Murder on hold on the Libby app.

Colby Searcy likes this.
  10. Colby Searcy

While reading it there were parts that were quite dry for me but once everything got tied together it was fucking brilliant. Absolutely loved the whole puzzle element and just overall execution. The only issue I had with it was the placement of the inner story not being broken up but that's minor tbh.

What are you reading while you wait for The Word Is Murder?

11. Texas Flood

Mulva? Supporter

Absolutely!

I’m not sure what I’ll read next. Might do Jurassic Park. I’m in the mood for a good action-adventure story. Any recommendations?

Colby Searcy likes this.
  12. DickyCullz

Jurassic Park might be my favourite book

13. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

does it have Jeff goldblum

14. Colby Searcy

These probably aren't action adventure and more mystery/murder mystery but I really like all of Ruth Ware's books if you are wanting something more in the British based books.

These are my other favorites from the party couple if years:

UNSUB by Meg Gardiner
    The Fourth Monkey and The Fifth To Die both by J.D. Barker
    Warlock Holmes by G.S. Denning
    The President Is Missing by James Patterson
    Murder Games/Instinct by James Patterson
    The Outsider by Stephen King
    Jane Hawk series by Dean Koontz

There are plenty more but don't want to overwhelm haha

Texas Flood likes this.
  15. ChaseTx

I want to reread Jurassic Park sometime. What a gd classic

Lost World too

DickyCullz likes this.
  16. Leftandleaving

I will be okay. everything Supporter

Jurassic Park is great

ChaseTx likes this.
  17. Texas Flood

Mulva? Supporter

I’m excited to read it. Should be getting the book from my library any day now. I also put The Lost World on hold too.

ChaseTx likes this.
  18. marsupial jones

make a bagel without the hole

I enjoyed Lost World even though it was literally done just to make money (the sequel to the JP movie was already agreed to but they wanted Crichton to write a sequel so they would have something to base the script off of and thought it would help sales to say it was based on another book like the first one) and Crichton retcons some things from JP to make it work.

19. tvck

Trusted

LOVING The History of the Future right now.

20. DickyCullz

Book was still better than the movie

21. marsupial jones

make a bagel without the hole

for sure. they barely added anything from the book to the movie, which i think pissed Crichton of (along with what they decided to add in instead of of what they could have used from the book *cough cough* FUCKING GYMNASTICS * cough cough*

22. Texas Flood

Mulva? Supporter

Im only five chapters in on JP but I am absolutely loving this book! The writing has been great so far and Im just pumped to finish this book.

ChaseTx and coleslawed like this.
  23. Philll

Trusted

Crichton was basically my favourite author as a teen, read nearly everything he's written. A couple of his books certainly have some iffy politics looking back, thinking of Disclosure and State of Fear in particular.

Leftandleaving and coleslawed like this.
  24. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

I need your help...

A friend wants to get her boyfriend a book for her birthday even though he doesn't really read. I'm looking for an easy to read crime fiction book or an autobiography that would appeal to someone who doesn't do much reading. He's a builder/damp proofer and lives in the UK to give context.

Got a couple of ideas but thought I'd see if anyone had any good recommendations here.

25. The Lucky Moose

I'm Emotional, I Hug the Block Prestigious

A good sports biography maybe. I read the “Not A Game: The Incredible Rise and Unthinkable Fall Of Allen Iverson” recently, which was good.

awakeohsleeper likes this.