Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Book Thread Book • Page 80

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Melody Bot, Mar 13, 2015.

1. Texas Flood

Mulva? Supporter

Just got done with Dark Places by Gillian Flynn and man, what a crazy book that was.

It was alittle slow in the middle but towards the end it really picked up. I just couldn’t put the book down til I finished the whole thing.

Colby Searcy likes this.
  2. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

currently reading Room to Dream, the David Lynch biography he cowrote (can't recall the other author's name), the crying of lot 49 by Thomas pynchon, a collection of essays by George Orwell and...I think that's it? people keep lending me books and I keep trying to frantically read them in between reading for class and there's definitely a reason my reading slowed down during school but I'm hoping to stay committed to reading shit I like too haha.

ChaseTx and angrycandy like this.
  3. The Lucky Moose

I'm Emotional, I Hug the Block Prestigious

4. Colby Searcy

Is admired for his impeccable (food) tastes Prestigious

If you liked that, check out Ruth Ware. I read all of her books last year and they were all good. I plan to read all of Gillian Flynn's this year.

5. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

The Lucky Moose likes this.
  6. The Lucky Moose

I'm Emotional, I Hug the Block Prestigious

Yeah I just saw that one on Goodreads. I will read that one too I think.

7. jpmalone4

Stay Lucky Supporter

I loved Room to Dream, Lynch's writing about his childhood was hysterical

EmmanuelSCastle likes this.
  8. definitely want to read that someday! am hoping it comes to paperback, i remember seeing the hardback and not being stoked about lugging that thing around haha (i like to do a lot of reading on the bus/on break at work so this is important to me)

EmmanuelSCastle likes this.
  9. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

agree, he's so matter of fact in his writing and has such a good way w his tone. fascinated by how idyllic his childhood was too, it's practically a fairy tale at certain moments
    wasn't stoked about the hardcover either tbh but I knew if I didn't get it then it'd be years lol. David Lynch's portrait on the jacket rules tho and I think the bigger size does improve that visual as dumb as that sounds lol

jpmalone4 and jordalsh like this.
  10. Texas Flood

Mulva? Supporter

Ive seen some of her books pop up in recommendations. Ill definitely check her out after I read Magpie Murders finally.

Gillians books are great. I hope you enjoy them.

Colby Searcy likes this.
  11. Colby Searcy

Is Magpie Murders next?

I know I've said it before but I really loved the execution of that book. If you enjoy it you should also read The Word Is Murder. I loved that one even more.

I have no doubt I will enjoy them, just trying to get their library books/netgalley ARC books first haha.

12. Texas Flood

Mulva? Supporter

MM is next for sure. I had planned to read it but I was in the middle of Lord of The Rings when the book was available for me. So I had to re-rent it since I knew there was no way I could finish with LOTR by the time I had to return MM.

Of the three main Gillian books, Sharp Objects was my favorite. She's so great at writing really fucked up books. haha

Colby Searcy likes this.
  13. Horrorca

Trusted

finished the Pale King tonight

rip David - you were a fucking genius full of compassion & love

yung_ting likes this.
  14. Horrorca

Trusted

up next... Robert Anton Wilson’s Prometheus Rising aka the new age bible by some peopel lol

15. ChaseTx

Big hat enthusiast Prestigious

Today I'll probably finish The Rise and Fall of The Dinosaurs by Steven Brusatte and Weird In A World That's Not: A Career Guide For Misfits by Jennifer Romolini.

Other than that I'm reading The Dragon Reborn (Robert Jordan) and I started Pet Sematery in order to finish it before seeing the movie, but since the movie hasn't been getting great reviews here I may put that one aside til I finish the former

16. Colby Searcy

How do you read that many books simultaneously?

awakeohsleeper likes this.
  17. Garrett

Y'all have heard me type loudly READ SHADOW OF THE WIND a lot around these parts, so you guys and gals should be happy to hear I found a literary walking tour around Barcelona visiting all the sights of the books for my vacation in a couple weeks. I'm so excited.

18. ChaseTx

Big hat enthusiast Prestigious

One is an audiobook. The others I have to juggle and it's not good

Colby Searcy likes this.
  19. Garrett

I usually have a fiction audiobook going and then a nonfiction hard copy going at the same time.

20. tvck

Trusted

Almost done with book 4 of The Red Rising series. I love these books so much. Pierce Brown, in my opinion, is now the master of taking the standard tropes of Sci-fi, perfecting them then turning them on their heads. Amazing character development and arcs. The right amount of shocking cliff hangers. It's going to be a long couple of months before book 5 comes out this summer.

CHECK THIS SERIES OUT!

21. Garrett

I read these four to start off the year. Interesting that you like the fourth so much here, it's the one where I felt like he took quite a big step back after the execution of the first trilogy.

22. tvck

Trusted

It's definitely not my favorite out of the 4 so far (Morningstar takes that crown), but I do enjoy getting some different perspective from characters in the universe, though sometimes I wish it was just focusing solely on Darrow's story. I'm a little over half way through it so I haven't gotten to any REAL big events yet.

Garrett L. likes this.
  23. wisdomfordebris Apr 9, 2019
    (Last edited: Apr 9, 2019)
    wisdomfordebris

Moderator Moderator

Finished Oscar Wao, which was good if not a bit trying at times, especially with Junot Diaz’s behavior in the back of my mind throughout the whole thing.

Reading A Visit from the Goon Squad now, which I’m enjoying more the further I get into it. For better or worse, her writing reminds me of a mix of DFW and Franzen. (Better when it’s the former, worse when it’s the latter.)

Mayra and EmmanuelSCastle like this.
  24. tvck

Trusted

Trying to figure out what book series or book to start after I finish Iron Gold is giving me some major anxiety.. I've got like 79 books on my Goodreads that I want to read right now.

Colby Searcy likes this.
  25. Garrett

I recently finished the first two Lady Astronaut novels by Mary Robinette Kowal (the second just got nominated for the Hugo) and recommend them to all of y’all. Set in the 50s after an extinction level event asteroid hits and has female protagonists tackling the gender inequality and racial injustices of the time to help save humanity. Not to mention they’re just super fun reads.

Shakriel and EmmanuelSCastle like this.