Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Book Thread Book • Page 8

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Melody Bot, Mar 13, 2015.

1. Vivatoto

Royal Court of Princess Donut Prestigious

I need to know why!

I definitely don't LOVE it as much as some people, but I'm really into the world and where it's going.

2. Deanna

Trusted Supporter

For anyone who might be interested, the next book in the Missaligned book club will be Your Song Changed My Life by Bob Boilen. The episode will air at the end of July. Here's an Amazon link for anyone who might want to grab it: http://amzn.to/29z5nAy

Vivatoto likes this.
  3. Vivatoto

I'm going to try to get in on this one.

Deanna likes this.
  4. Deanna

Trusted Supporter

Yay! The book is about 260 pages, so nothing too crazy.

5. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

Name of the Wind should be up around 8am EST tomorrow, and Wise Man's Fear Sunday at the same time. I'll be driving so I'm sure I'll come back to some controversies of my opinions.

Vivatoto likes this.
  6. Vivatoto

Just finished Disappearance at Devil's Rock and loved it. Really glad Paul stuck the ending because although I enjoyed the ride, I feel like a lot of that hinged on the ending and some sort of reveal as to exactly what the fuck was going on. It's a weird one where I didn't love reading every page of it, but I am still feeling a 5/5 on my Goodreads as it all come together so well. Prefer Head Full of Ghosts though.

7. Garrett

Vivatoto likes this.
  8. Vivatoto

Nice. I read the first one when you put it up. I do have to admit I love this type of storytelling, my book that I wrote is actually a similar format, three days of two guys drinking in a bar talking about events from the past (I read these after I completed it so the similarities took me by surprise). I've seen it a lot in King's short stories and I'm always a fan. I can get by the fact that the main character assuredly isn't going to die. I will admit I'm incredibly interested in the present day scenario, I find Bast (sorry if these names are wrong, it's been a minute) pretty great. Want to talk about suspension of disbelief though, how about Kvothe's incredible storytelling powers? I love in the interludes when he admits that he wasted time or told something unimportant, it's like, oh thanks Kvothe, you really know how to woo a fella.

I really liked that "hand-talk" stuff and since I'm reading WoT I'm really noticing the similarities with the Aiel. I think my favorite moment of the series so far was the Ctaeth(?) scene and Bast's reaction. Now that was terrifying. And I agree with you on the Chandrian. Very excellent, slow creepy roll out. I can't remember her name, but the loan shark was also another favorite character.

9. Garrett

I think it's a format that can work, I just am not entirely convinced it's working here. Bast is intriguing because his motives are so unclear and unknown, but seemingly for Kvothe's good. I'm more interested in seeing the warrior come back to life than I am in hearing how her got his mystique.

Yeah, the little details like the hand-talk stuff throughout the novel is top notch. I tried to make it clear I'm envious of the world building, but I may have failed. I think it's Davy (spelling may be wrong), and yeah, I do enjoy her as well.

10. Vivatoto

It certainly wouldn't work for ASOIAF of WoT as you mentioned in your review. I tried to imagine that and it was pretty terrible, haha. No, I definitely got the vibe from your reviews that you really enjoyed the world building, and I completely agree and I think that's where most of my love for it comes from. You got me thinking about how I feel about Kvothe, it's hell trying to read a story when you don't like the main character, I've been there many times, but I pretty much came to the conclusion that he's alright. I think that's what prevents me from having really strong feelings on the series. I don't think I ever thought, "fuck this guy" except maybe when he was going on and on about how great he is at fucking fairies, but that large section was also near my favorite part of the book. I'm not really cheering for him to win though. Part of me feels like that's what Rothfuss wants, us to look at this legendary hero and see under the stories and just be like "meh." He's certainly no Rand.

Davy sounds right because I really wanted to say Denna since I remembered their names being fairly close. Such an intriguing character.

Do you plan on reading The Slow Regard of Silent Things? It focuses on Auri. I've been meaning to read it.

Garrett L. likes this.
  11. Horrorca

Trusted

just finished The Sellout by Paul Beatty - wild book, you should all get to it

it's hysterical...

also read Krugman's End This Depression Now! which was a good, clear book on... wait for it... The Great Recession...

also read one of those short introductions to Hegel which was real good...

anyway...

I want a dense, pretentious novel now because I'll have some days to really read hard

12. Deanna

Trusted Supporter

Just finished The Last One by Alexandra Oliva. Good read if you're into some adventure stuff. It's based on a fictional reality show that seemed similar to Survivor (I've never watched so don't hold me to that). Gonna be reviewing this one this week. Enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I would.

13. iam1bearcat

i'm writing a book, leave me alone.

75% finished with Handling the Undead. it's... not as bad as the goodreads reviews make it out to be, but i'm surprised at how not-horror it is.

and the ideas in the book are not being utilized very well, which is disappointing. but, there's still 25% to go.

14. Garrett

I've thought about it because I find Auri really intriguing. But I need a break from Rothfuss for a good bit.

It feels great being on top of my book blog for the first time since April. I'm also at the beach for the week and just devouring books. I'm finishing one almost every other day at this rate. Starting Station Eleven today and I'm insanely stoked for it. Been looking forward to it for about a year and a half now.

15. Horrorca

Trusted

has anyone read Sergio de la Pava?

16. TedSchmosby

Trusted

Do you guys like to read more than one book at once?

17. I do, but different types of books. For example, I'll read a graphic novel, a collection of short stories, and a novel at the same time. I like having different options just in case one of the works I'm in the middle of slows down.

coleslawed likes this.
  18. Horrorca

Trusted

mmmm yeah

When I have time I try to read something fiction and something non-fiction at the same time, but nowadays I go one and one - and always go around my poetry books

19. dlemert

Trusted

I'm usually reading at least one nonfiction and one fiction at a time, although I will occasionally read multiple nonfiction books if the subjects are varied enough. I've been known to have 6 or 7 books going at once, though.

20. jpmalone4

Stay Lucky Supporter

I prefer to focus on one book at a time. Most of my other concurrent "reading" is dedicated to keeping up with newspapers or magazines.

21. Horrorca

Trusted

started this motherfucker last nigh

[​IMG]

it's amazing so far

recommended for anyone into DFW's novels

22. Deanna

Trusted Supporter

I currently have three going right now, but Shea Serrano's The Rap Year Book feels more like a coffee table type book to me where you don't have to read it all at once so I've had that in my currently reading pile for a while now. Other two are Infinite Jest by DFW and Your Song Changed My Life by Bob Boilen.

23. Horrorca

Trusted

Infinite Jest is awe inspiring

I would just swallow that one whole with nothing else to distract me from it - I would also cut ties with my family and friends, and quit my job

wisdomfordebris likes this.
  24. Deanna

Trusted Supporter

Haha well the other book is for Missaligned so I have to get that done for the next episode we'll be recording in a week. Don't have a job currently, though, so that does help!

25. Horrorca

Trusted

is that yr blog? link? (didn't find it in yr profile or with help of the Google)