Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Book Thread Book • Page 79

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Melody Bot, Mar 13, 2015.

1. ChaseTx

Big hat enthusiast Prestigious

I started the Beastie Boys Book on audible and it's so good. It's so interesting just hearing about the punk and hip hop scenes in NYC in the early 80s and it's super well written. Not to mention the all star voice cast. I'd be a fan of this even if I wasn't a fan of the band

The Lucky Moose likes this.
  2. drewinseries

Drew

The Three Body Problem is wild so far. Been a while since I have been so enthralled with a book. About 1/3 in.

3. TheGuyfkaFringeofLunacy

Trusted Supporter

Yes, I typically read a non-fiction (typically history based) and then a fiction book.

drewinseries likes this.
  4. TheGuyfkaFringeofLunacy

Trusted Supporter

Reading Vietnam: an Epic Tragedy: 1945-1975 by Max Hastings..about halfway through and this is a great book. Blends analysis, history, and personal anecdotes/stories from people on all sides involved. I have been wanting to dive into more Vietnam history and this has been a great first choice so far.

5. Colby Searcy

Is admired for his impeccable (food) tastes Prestigious

I doubt anybody here is actually interested cuz y'all taste is way different than mine but here are the 4 books I currently have checked out from the library:

The House Next Door by James Patterson
    Warlock Holmes: My Grave Ritual by G.S. Denning
    Hunting Annabelle by Wendy Heard
    Watching You by Lisa Jewell

Philll likes this.
  6. Texas Flood

Mulva? Supporter

Currently waiting for The Return of the King from my library. So until that comes, I’ll be reading Magpie Murders by Anthony Horowitz.

awakeohsleeper and Colby Searcy like this.
  7. Colby Searcy

Read any other books by him?

I've read both Magpie Murders and The Word is Murder. Both are fantastic!

Texas Flood likes this.
  8. Texas Flood

Mulva? Supporter

This will be my first. I quite excited to read it. I’ll have to check out his other work once I finish Magpie.

Colby Searcy likes this.
  9. Colby Searcy

Let me know what you think after you're finished.

I loved the overall execution of the Magpie Murders, probably the coolest book I've read in that's to that.

10. Texas Flood

Mulva? Supporter

Will do. I’m a big fan of Agatha Christie, so I hope this one is right up my alley.

Colby Searcy likes this.
  11. Texas Flood

Mulva? Supporter

I got Return of the King from my library yesterday,so Im putting Magpie Murders on hold for now. Im not a big fan of reading multiple books at a time.

Colby Searcy and Garrett L. like this.
  12. drewinseries

Drew

The Three Body Problem was amazing. Started The Dark Forest today.

johnnyutes likes this.
  13. GBlades

Trusted

It's good hard science but it's just so easy to read. The story tends to get a bit far-fetched but I really enjoyed it.

14. drewinseries

Drew

It's cool to read sci fi from a vastly different culture, I think the far-fetchedness comes from that. Having the Cultural Revolution as back drop for the origin was a really interesting setting.

I'm a scientist myself, so I am loving the way he uses his prose to talk about the elegance of natural laws and experimentation.

coleslawed and GBlades like this.
  15. GBlades

Trusted

Yeah I seem to forget that the first book is largely about the West's approach to science which is what we are essentially. I wish I knew more science-bro-stuff but it was good to theorise this sort of thing.

16. Colby Searcy

Anybody read Light As A Feather by Zoe Aarsen?

@Garrett L. I know you're into YA right?

17. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

I have not and I usually am.

Colby Searcy likes this.
  18. AP_Punk

achin' to be Prestigious

Recently finished Lost Children Archive by Valeria Luiselli. Damn, what a novel - such a surreal, cerebral story about immigration and the violence of borders.

There's so much going on in this book. As soon as I finished it, I wanted to start it again. Luiselli kicks ass.

Currently in the middle of The Bird King by G. Willow Wilson - it's beautiful so far. After the heaviness of Lost Children, this magical realist/fantasy novel is needed. Haha

19. matthaber

beautiful and chequered, the end

just spent the past 6 hours blazing through the end of Well of Ascension. My mind is shattered right now and I need to start Hero of Ages ASAP

Garrett L. and theagentcoma like this.
  20. Dave Diddy

Grief is only love that’s got no place to go Supporter

The Dark Forest is awesome. It's my favorite in the series.

drewinseries likes this.
  21. theagentcoma

yeah good okay Prestigious

I was you like a month ago. Start it NOW.

22. ChaseTx

Big hat enthusiast Prestigious

I just started I'll Be Gone In The Dark on Audible yesterday and I'm already halfway through it. I haven't ever read a true crime book before (really nonfiction is pretty rare for me) but this is very compelling

Colby Searcy likes this.
  23. Colby Searcy

It's crazy especially considering everything that's happened afterwards

ChaseTx likes this.
  24. DickyCullz

I create content for some of your favorite artists

This has been on my list for a while. I don’t read as much as I used when I used to take public transport to work and that pains me. It can take me months to read one book now. Still added this to my list though

ChaseTx and Colby Searcy like this.
  25. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

Thought this was an interesting article about Microsoft closing their ebook store and how none of us really own ebooks bought from these big companies.

coleslawed likes this.