Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Book Thread Book • Page 76

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Melody Bot, Mar 13, 2015.

1. Colby Searcy

Is admired for his impeccable (food) tastes Prestigious

Story of my life

Texas Flood likes this.
  2. Colby Searcy

Is admired for his impeccable (food) tastes Prestigious

Found a signed first edition copy of The Word Is Murder by Anthony Horowitz at HPB last weekend in great condition and i'm stoked about it

Kingjohn_654 and Deanna like this.
  3. Texas Flood

Mulva? Supporter

I just finished reading The Perfect Nanny.

I thought it was ok. Nothing great really. The first chapter had me interested, but after that the rest of the book was kinda boring outside of a few chapters. I felt like it was a book I had to finish for the sake of finishing it. Not because I wanted to.

Time to read The Girl on the Train.

Colby Searcy likes this.
  4. theagentcoma

yeah good okay Prestigious

damn you're fast

Colby Searcy likes this.
  5. Texas Flood

Mulva? Supporter

I’ve been sick the last couple of days, so laying on the couch with a book and not being able to sleep helps.

Also, the book wasn’t very long.

theagentcoma likes this.
  6. Dodger

“The greatest teacher, failure is”

Fairly new reader here. Only have read a couple non-fiction, about 7 Star Wars books and just finished the first two Potter books. Considering how easy Letterboxd has made it to keep a diary of my movies, and now that Im starting to read more consistently and loving it was wondering what good apps/website there are for keeping track of books and reviewing them.

Any help would be appreciated!

Colby Searcy and The Lucky Moose like this.
  7. GBlades

Trusted

Goodreads is simple enough that you can keep tabs and review them.

8. The Lucky Moose

I'm Emotional, I Hug the Block Prestigious

Goodreads yeah

9. Horrorca

Trusted

finished Duncan’s Brothers K

life affirming, astonishing, fucking awesome

can’t recommend enough - read this book

I’m thinking of reading Langan’s The Fisherman next... any fans?

also really tempted to read Danielewski’s The Familiar but 4,000 pages is a huge fucking commitment... :(

10. marsupial jones

make a bagel without the hole

4,000? Just so you know it’s gonna be like 25,000 as it’s a 27-volume series that’s currently only 4 or 5 deep
    ;-)

11. Vivatoto

Royal Court of Princess Donut Prestigious

I highly recommend The Fisherman, I absolutely loved it. I've read Langman described as too literary to the horror fans and too horror for literary fans. He's a prose first sort of guy, kind of like a mix between Clive Barker's writing and Lovecraftian stories.

...Also I wouldn't fuck with the Familiar. Like, all 5 or so books that were out are excellent, but it got cancelled and there's absolutely no conclusion, billions of questions, and it was just starting to ramp up and become clear where the story could possibly be going in the final book.

12. Horrorca

Trusted

yeah but it’s on hold now because not enough people were buying...

seems unlikely it will continue as it is a huge endeavor and the payoff might be hard to justify for D in terms of time invested

Edit: vivatoto beat me to the punch

13. marsupial jones

make a bagel without the hole

whoa holy shit. i had no idea it got cancelled. wow. i fell off paying attention to it after book 3. sucks for those that were invested in it, especially with all the build up of it being this giant series. that is crazy news to discover.

14. Vivatoto

It really sucks and I remember how shitty it is like weekly and feel shitty.

15. Dodger

“The greatest teacher, failure is”

Gotcha. Already started logging some. Thanks!

16. Philll

Trusted

Never read any of them, but a publisher signing a 27 volume project like that seems really unwise from a business point of view, it's amazing it got the go ahead to begin with. That's nothing against the content of the series, I hope he finds a way to wrap things up in a satisfying way.

Colby Searcy likes this.
  17. Horrorca

Trusted

@Vivatoto

what are yr favorite modern horror books?

18. Vivatoto

Anything by Adam Nevill, what he's doing with the genre is completely original. Explosive and subdued in all the right places. The Netflix movie The Ritual was based off one of his books which is great. His masterpiece is Last Days, but you could go with anything from him. Also, almost all of his books are part of the same world a la Stephen King, so it's worth reading in order if you want the full effect.

Joe Hill is also killing it. The Fireman and N0S4A2 are perfect. His most recent collection of novellas, Strange Weather, is also really great.

Nick Cutter/Patrick Lestewka (both pen names for Craig Davidson) also has an unbelievably impressive bibliography. The Troop, Little Heaven, The Preserve, The Deep...all amazing.

Colby Searcy likes this.
  19. Horrorca

Trusted

thank you! added last days to my cart

what do you think about Head Full of Ghosts?

20. Vivatoto

Adore it. Love all of Paul's books and I follow him and Goodreads and he seems like a really solid guy. I thought his newest was his best, Cabin at the End of the World.

21. Horrorca

Trusted

lol added head full too!

thanks, man

22. Deanna

Trusted Supporter

He has a collection coming this year, too!

Vivatoto likes this.
  23. Vivatoto

Very much looking forward to it.

Deanna likes this.
  24. angrycandy

I’m drama in these khaki towns Supporter

A Head Full of Ghosts is great

I really need to read more of his work

25. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

I have Head Full in my audible. Gonna have to listen soon.