Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Book Thread Book • Page 75

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Melody Bot, Mar 13, 2015.

1. Dave Diddy

Grief is only love that’s got no place to go Supporter

I'm going to drop my goal down in 2019. I read 50 books this year and sometimes it felt like I was reading just to hit the goal and not because I wanted to. I think I'm going to put something easy as my goal, maybe 25-30. I may end up reading 40 plus anyway but at least then it would be because I wanted to.

Deanna and marsupial jones like this.
  2. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

Started The Book of Laughter and Forgetting by Milan Kundera this weekend. Enjoying it a lot, but not nearly as much as I loved Unbearable Lightness when I first picked it up a couple years ago.

3. Kellan

@kellanthomas Prestigious

I hate that you lose your Audible credits if you cancel your membership. So I keep just accumulating credits and not actually listening to any audio books and still paying for the membership.

Physical books I’m reading right now are:

Atmospheric Disturbances by Rivka Galchen
    The Looming Tower
    Dare to Lead by Brenee Brown (for work)
    and rereading The Magicians by Lev Grossman

4. Dave Diddy

Grief is only love that’s got no place to go Supporter

Why don't you just buy books with whatever credits you have left and then cancel? You don't lose the books after you cancel

The Lucky Moose likes this.
  5. xapplexpiex

sup? Supporter

Which app does everyone on here prefer? Apple Books, Kindle, or Nook?

6. dlemert

Trusted

Overdrive.

7. The Lucky Moose

I'm Emotional, I Hug the Block Prestigious

8. finished Scholastique Mukasonga's Cockroaches on Monday, really harrowing book about the Rwandan genocide of 1994. I originally picked it up because I read this really good story and realized I didn't know much about Rwanda at all. really moving book and a slim volume (I would call it a quick read but it often hurt my heart so much I'd put it down for a little bit). definitely putting Barefoot Woman on my list for the future

on a very different note, I finished Chris Gethard's Lose Well last night and I absolutely loved it. I'm working on writing something longer about it but it only cemented how much I've come to love him and all of his work over the past like two months.

now I'm working on the first book in Giorgio Bassani’s The Novel of Ferrara, which I got for Christmas and plan to take a book at a time over the course of the year. The first two stories in Within the Walls are really good and they're making me excited for his better-known works which I'll get to later on.

I also just started Our Band Could Be Your Life, which I'm excited to both learn from and criticize as I work through it. Already have some stuff in the margins of the introduction haha

9. TheGuyfkaFringeofLunacy

Trusted Supporter

Read Dragon Teeth and American War over my Christmas break from work. Enjoyed both but both had their flaws. Would love a longer book set in that same time period as Dragon Teeth and the larger idea behind American War was great as well. Love those type near future history changing type books.

10. midnightxtaylor

Regular

I haven't felt like reading much in months, and I had started An Absolutely Remarkable Thing by Hank Green last fall, but I just picked it back up a few days ago and couldn't put it down until I finished it. Recommended if you want something funny, suspenseful, and about how social media affects humanity on a global scale. It's very current, but also a good sci-fi.

theagentcoma likes this.
  11. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

Didn’t realize we were so close to the release of On The Come Up. Pretty stoked about that.

Anyone else read The Hate U Give?

12. Horrorca

Trusted

halfway through David James Duncan’s The Brothers K - so life-affirming, sad, joyous and beautiful!!

can’t recommend it enough (and I know nothing about baseball)

13. Mort Michaels

Father, Son, and House of Gucci

Set my goal for 15 on GR, but I am already on book #6. In my head, I wanna make 52. But I am enjoying being into reading again.

Colby Searcy likes this.
  14. Deanna

Trusted Supporter

Finished up Christine by Stephen King and will be starting Basketball: A Love Story today. Rainy days have been a good excuse to read more this week.

15. Horrorca

Trusted

OotyPa, jpmalone4 and jordalsh like this.
  16. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

Mary Oliver's work seriously is beautiful. RIP. Will also read her tonight.

17. Colby Searcy

Is admired for his impeccable (food) tastes Prestigious

Started Elevation by Stephen King today.

Have 3 other books checked out from the library as well

Garrett L. and theagentcoma like this.
  18. Texas Flood

Mulva? Supporter

Just finished reading Gone Girl last night. I really enjoyed it.

Does anybody have any recs for books like that? I plan on reading Sharp Objects and Dark Places at some point. Just thought i'd see what others here have enjoyed that kind of has the same feel like GG.

theagentcoma likes this.
  19. HalfHearted

Regular

You'd probably like The Girl on the Train if you haven't checked that out yet.

Texas Flood likes this.
  20. jpmalone4

Stay Lucky Supporter

I would try The Perfect Nanny by Leila Slimani

Texas Flood likes this.
  21. Texas Flood

Mulva? Supporter

I have seen that one as a recommendation for fans of Gone Girl. It seems like something id probably enjoy. Thanks!

22. HalfHearted

Regular

Of course. Also, I have read a couple of Lisa Unger's books that might fit into this as well.

23. Colby Searcy

Is admired for his impeccable (food) tastes Prestigious

I haven't read this yet but I've heard Paula Hawkins and Ruth Ware as authors' for RIYL Gone Girl.

I've read all of Ruth Ware's boooks last year and they were all at least good

Texas Flood likes this.
  24. Texas Flood

Mulva? Supporter

So I couldn’t decide which book to buy between The Girl on The Train and The Perfect Nanny. So I bought both of them.

I flipped a coin to see which one to read first and It will be The Perfect Nanny.

Colby Searcy likes this.