Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Book Thread Book • Page 74

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Melody Bot, Mar 13, 2015.

1. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

Maybe they each do a word...?!

The Lucky Moose likes this.
  2. GBlades

Trusted

I am intrigued based on the narrators alone

3. ChaseTx

Big hat enthusiast Prestigious

I don't normally read more than one book at a time, or when I do I end up neglecting at least one and not finishing, but lately I've been reading several. I just got a library card and started working audiobooks into my routine

The Great Hunt - Robert Jordan. Paperback. I decided the only way I'm going to finish a long series of long books is if I have a plan and that plan is to alternate between this series and other books
    Why Not Me? - Mindy Kaling. This is on Kindle and the essays are all very short, so I can pull it up on my phone or my work computer whenever I have a free moment.
    Unfuck Your Brain - Faith G. Harper. It's on audiobook and I listen on my way to work. The gimmick of using profanity to explain everything and the language she uses in general is kinda cringey. Also the production value and the reading is very bad. But maybe I'll get something out of it.
    The Haunting of Hill House - Shirley Jackson. Audiobook that I can only listen to in the evening for spooky reasons.

coleslawed and Garrett L. like this.
  4. ChaseTx

I think I'm gonna get this too

5. matthaber

beautiful and chequered, the end

just finished part 2 and some how im more shook than after part 1. I LOVE THIS BOOK SO MUCH

Garrett L. and tucah like this.
  6. tucah

not champ Prestigious

the first two parts are excellent but the best is yet to come. sanderson's climaxes are just unreal.

i love stormlight so much

matthaber and Garrett L. like this.
  7. ChaseTx

Game of Thrones is $3 on Kindle so I bought it. Don't know how long it'll take me to get around to it but why not

theagentcoma likes this.
  8. tried to order Gayl Jones’s Mosquito from thriftbooks and i just got a notification that it shipped but it’s showing a different title for a book that’s not even by Jones (attached to the Mosquito cover art)! i noticed that it was doing that when i was trying to order it but i changed the format and i thought i added the correct book to the cart i thought it was fine :(

9. finnyscott

I'm from New York. No, not the city.

Just finished “Friday Black” by Nana Kwame Adjei-Brenyah and each story was a fantastic satirical look at contemporary American life. Highly recommend, especially if you’re looking for a quick read

jpmalone4 likes this.
  10. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

Recently finished a fascinating fiction book in the form of diary entries by a bourgeois runaway teen. He leaves home to join an institution for lifelong servitude. Its by 19th century Swiss author Robert Walser, titled Jakob Von Gunten. The prose is just startling and captivating all the way through. Nabokov apparently was a huge fan of this guy.

Just started Their Eyes Were Watching God yesterday and loving it to death so far. Might finish it before the end of the weekend.

coleslawed and jordalsh like this.
  11. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

The first four paragraphs of TEWWG are some of the most beautiful writing in American literature.

jordalsh likes this.
  12. matthaber

Just got to part 5 of words of radiance . Plan to finish this off tonight , I’m not ready for whatever is coming in these final 200 pages

Garrett L. likes this.
  13. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

You’re really not.

matthaber likes this.
  14. matthaber

i really wasnt. (just finished. cant wait to start book 3 tomorrow lmao)

Garrett L. likes this.
  15. theagentcoma

yeah good okay Prestigious

goddamn I've been slacking at reading. i'm ashamed of myself.

16. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

coleslawed, OotyPa and jordalsh like this.
  17. wow

18. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

Damn--wonder if it's going to share the narrative of the tv series or go in a completely different direction. I know she's a fan of the show.

19. Kellan

@kellanthomas Prestigious

From June but new to me

WordsfromaSong likes this.
  20. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

I bet they wish they'd held off S2 a bit.

21. ok update the correct book arrive yay i love thrift books

22. Deanna

Trusted Supporter

I really need to update my list for the year. Still hoping to squeeze in a few more books over the holidays though.

On another note, any Tom Clancy fans in here? I bought a ton of his books recently, but haven't read any yet so I'm curious as to where to start.

23. GBlades

Trusted

I am a particularly sloooow reader. Set my goal at 15 this year due to other commitments and managed to finish my 20th book of the year (Cabin At The End Of The Woods). Hoping to movie into the new year with high expectations and drive to read a lot more .

Kellan and awakeohsleeper like this.
  24. marsupial jones

make a bagel without the hole

I took a significant break from reading this year due to burning out on it. It turned into more work than fun as I was devitibgcevery moment of free time to reading and trying to read 100+ pages a day, and had like 100 unread books on my shelf which I felt bad about when I would do anything but read. Read probably 30 books this year with 25 of them being between Jan-Feb.

So, going to “start over” in 2019 with some of my favorite authors for some re-reads (DeLillo, Franzen, Vonnegut, Cunningham) and then start the Wheel of Time series. Then aiming for 2020 for that Malzahn series or Stormlight Chronicles (read the first SC and enjoyed it but fuck there is a lot there)

awakeohsleeper likes this.
  25. DickyCullz

I create content for some of your favorite artists

my reading has really dropped off now I don't take public transport to work. Took me a whole year to read Oathbringer