Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Book Thread Book • Page 72

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Melody Bot, Mar 13, 2015.

1. GBlades

Trusted

Thanks everyone, think i'll pick them up in publication order and take them from there
    :-)

angrycandy likes this.
  2. noxee

Regular Prestigious

I really should look into reading his ones as well. I think they suggest to read a couple of his before starting Gardens of the Moon.

3. dlemert

Trusted

Finished The Sheltering Sky by Paul Bowles last night, after about 2 months of constantly picking it up/putting it down.

What an utterly strange and depressing book.

4. noxee

Regular Prestigious

5. noxee

Regular Prestigious

Actually on further reading it sounds like both Steven and Ian recommend reading in publication order so I'll just stick with that.

Vivatoto and theagentcoma like this.
  6. Vivatoto

Royal Court of Princess Donut Prestigious

[​IMG]

This is what I followed and found it to work perfectly. And I can't stress enough how important the ICE books are, books 2 and 3 of his are a bit slow and won't totally seem worth it but by 4 he's doing something great. I'm going to write a big ass post when I finish ALL of the books about why I think the ICE books are super important, but when I looked at the malazan wikis after finishing Crippled God and still had questions I noticed that the answer to almost every single question people ask is "Read ICE" and it's totally true. That's actually where you'll find climatic final moments for A LOT of characters that started in Fallen. He also explains things in a much clearer way than Erickson. Blood and Bone/ Assail as you can see take place latest in the timeline and Assail especially puts a lot together, and those two books are nearly as good as Erickson. Also I'm currently reading Fall of Light and the torrent of answers I'm getting is insane and I'm already broken hearted the trilogy is on hiatus.

noxee likes this.
  7. theagentcoma

yeah good okay Prestigious

damn this is blowing my mind

Vivatoto likes this.
  8. Vivatoto

Are you going to slot in ICE on your reread? I'd be super curious to see how you feel about them, also curious to see how many lingering questions you might have get answered.

9. theagentcoma

yeah good okay Prestigious

I should! I've actually never read any of them. It's a shame, I know.

10. my local store was sold out of the new Jessica Hopper book so I had them order it for me, I was so proud of myself for not walking outta there with something extra but now I wanna go back so bad lol

I read the Jawbreaker 33 1/3 on Sunday! was pretty good, not a lot of new historical insight since I read the p4k oral history like once a year and I've seen the documentary, but they had some interesting takes on the songs and themes. I prefer more personal music writing typically but I enjoyed this. I have the Beat Happening book that's been sitting on my shelf for a while I think I'm gonna read next

11. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

Carlos Ruiz Zafon’s final book in the Cemetery of Forgotten Books quartet is finally out in English so be prepared for me to not shut up about it

12. Garrett

Read The Shadow of the Wind thanks for attending my ted talk

13. Deanna

Trusted Supporter

Recent reads have been Flight or Fright (a short story compilation edited by Stephen King and Bev Vincent) and The Woman in Black by Susan Hill. Next up is Solo: A Star Wars Story Expanded Edition. I've also been slowly making my way through the upcoming 33 1/3 book on Siouxsie and the Banshee's Peepshow. For some reason I just haven't been able to get into it, but I think it's largely because the formatting of the advance copy on my Kindle is horrendous haha.

I've also continued to buy books that will take me forever to get to. Getting back into Stephen King books for my upcoming podcast after I get through the Solo book. Cycle of the Werewolf and Cujo will be the first two up on the list.

14. GBlades

Trusted

Is the House of Leaves worth it as a horror novel? I know the e-reader version isn't due to slight physical aspects of the book but is the story itself as creepy as that? Thinking of buying a new horror novel.

15. Garrett

Colby Searcy and awakeohsleeper like this.
  16. Night Channels

Trusted

Has anyone read any of Noah Hawley’s stuff?

17. Vivatoto

I read Before the Fall. It was really good. Not the thriller that Fargo is but the excellent characters are all there.

Night Channels likes this.
  18. Deanna

Trusted Supporter

Just read The Haunting of Hill House and thought it was okay. I see why it’s a big horror influence but the first half just felt slow to me.

Reading We Are the Nerds now, which is basically a history on Reddit. It’s a fairly long read, but it’s good so far.

19. ChaseTx

Big hat enthusiast Prestigious

The Ritual is only $3 on Kindle, so I bought it

Also thinking about buying an actual Kindle. One thing I wish was that you could use Hoopla on the Paperwhite

Vivatoto likes this.
  20. ChaseTx

preordered the Paperwhite. it didn't take much to convince me

Dave Diddy likes this.
  21. Dave Diddy

Grief is only love that’s got no place to go Supporter

Never used Hoopla, what's the point of it?

22. ChaseTx

It's an app linked to your library card that lets you check out ebooks, audiobooks, and movies digitally

23. Dave Diddy

Grief is only love that’s got no place to go Supporter

Ah okay, my library uses overdrive

24. Colby Searcy

Is admired for his impeccable (food) tastes Prestigious

Some libraries use both

25. 5Stories

Regular

I'm reading A Little Life and it's making me fall back in love with reading again after a year of starting and not finishing books. I'm nearly halfway through and already a bit obsessed with it. I need to know what is going to happen to these characters and hoping they are ok.

johnnyutes and jordalsh like this.