Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Book Thread Book • Page 71

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Melody Bot, Mar 13, 2015.

1. wisdomfordebris

Moderator Moderator

Still not lovingConfederacy of Dunces but it is starting to make me laugh a bit more. The first scene withMancuso and Irene in the kitchen had me rolling last night.

2. Colby Searcy

Is admired for his impeccable (food) tastes Prestigious

I'm this way too mostly and it'll come and go in spurts

3. EarthShifts

Trusted

Just finished “Everything is Horrible and Wonderful” by Stephanie Wittels Wachs. Definitely recommend it, but it is heavy at times as it deals with grief, addiction, family, etc. I found myself tearing up quite a bit.

Needless to say, I’m in the market for a light funny read. I’ve read too many heavy books in a row. I need a break. Haha.

Any suggestions? Doesn’t matter what genre.

4. marsupial jones

make a bagel without the hole

my immediate thought - pretty much anything by Vonnegut should do the trick while also making you think a bit :thumbup:

5. aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

I just finished The Last Good Man by Linda Nagata. I really enjoyed it, it's a pretty interesting story covering what the rise of automation and private military might look like in the not so distant future.

6. about a year since I started Infinite Jest and now I'm planning to start Ulysses. I finished Portrait last night and I'm so excited to dive in, I've wanted to read this one for a long long time. Planning on going through it patiently chapter-by-chapter and giving myself time to understand and enjoy while also reading other smaller things.

angrycandy, fluxyjoe, OotyPa and 2 others like this.
  7. The Lucky Moose

I'm Emotional, I Hug the Block Prestigious

8. Dave Diddy

Grief is only love that’s got no place to go Supporter

awakeohsleeper likes this.
  9. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

Scarlet sky. I have it and it looks real good.

10. I’m looking for a good Frank Sinatra biography - any recommendations?

11. Dave Diddy

Alright Scarlet Sky it is!

Garrett L. likes this.
  12. Marx&Recreation

Trusted

Do you have The New Bloomsday Book? There are a couple chapters of Ulysses that, on the first read through, are borderline incomprehensible, and that companion book is great for providing the more big picture stuff without getting too in the weeds about it.

And idk how far you are at this point, but the first three chapters are increasingly dense and confusing, and chapter four is where Bloom is introduced and it becomes much more accessible. Stephen is so intellectual that it makes most of his POV chapters really difficult, whereas Bloom is a pretty average guy (though very smart in his own way) and Joyce reflects that in the writing of Bloom's chapters (in the first half of the book, at least)

13. jorbjorb

7 rings

Just finishing Amanda Lindhout's memoir "A House in the Sky" .

A pretty disturbing book if anyone is interested.

in August 2008, she traveled to Somalia—“the most dangerous place on earth.” On her fourth day, she was abducted by a group of masked men along a dusty road.

Held hostage for 460 days, Amanda converts to Islam as a survival tactic, receives “wife lessons” from one of her captors, and risks a daring escape. Moved between a series of abandoned houses in the desert, she survives on memory—every lush detail of the world she experienced in her life before captivity—and on strategy, fortitude, and hope. When she is most desperate, she visits a house in the sky, high above the woman kept in chains, in the dark, being tortured.

14. Dave Diddy

The Return: Fathers, Sons, and the Land In Between is on sale for 2 dollars. It's a good read.

WINNER OF THE PULITZER PRIZE • The acclaimed memoir about fathers and sons, a legacy of loss, and, ultimately, healing—one of The New York Times Book Review’s ten best books of the year, winner of the PEN/Jean Stein Book Award, and a finalist for the National Book Critics Circle Award and the Los Angeles Times Book Prize

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B018PD2HIQ/?tag=absolutepunk-20

15. The Lucky Moose

I'm Emotional, I Hug the Block Prestigious

Finished this one. Slightly dry but very informative biography of a very interesting public figure. I definitely recommend it.

16. TJ Wells

Trusted Prestigious

It’s looking like Against the Day is finally gonna be the one that makes me get Pynchon. I am hooked.

marsupial jones likes this.
  17. Dave Diddy

Highly recommend this, thought it was incredible.

Garrett L. likes this.
  18. noxee

Regular Prestigious

I'm about to dive into the Malazan Book of the Fallen series for a second read through and I'm not sure if my brain is ready...

theagentcoma likes this.
  19. theagentcoma

yeah good okay Prestigious

you are my people.

noxee likes this.
  20. GBlades

Trusted

Can anyone recommend any Paul Tremblay (or otherwise) horror? I'm looking but there is just so much to choose from and I wanna get scared right out my wits!

21. Vivatoto

Royal Court of Princess Donut Prestigious

It's soooooo worth it. Make sure you read all the ICE books

noxee and theagentcoma like this.
  22. angrycandy Sep 23, 2018
    (Last edited: Sep 24, 2018)
    angrycandy

I’m drama in these khaki towns Supporter

I really liked A Head Full of Ghosts

23. GBlades

Trusted

I was thinking of picking this one up, is this standalone or a series? I seen Stephen King liking this one so surely it must be alright!

24. angrycandy

I’m drama in these khaki towns Supporter

standalone

25. Vivatoto

Royal Court of Princess Donut Prestigious

It's very good. All 3 of his horror books are great

angrycandy likes this.