Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Book Thread Book • Page 70

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Melody Bot, Mar 13, 2015.

1. *whispers* it's ok to like things you like and not be "delayed"

2. Dave Diddy

Grief is only love that’s got no place to go Supporter

Ah yes thanks friend. Have a nice day!

And that may be, I just don't have much interest in joining the debate or much to add either.

Colby Searcy and The Lucky Moose like this.
  3. angrycandy

I’m drama in these khaki towns Supporter

lol wasn’t correcting you at all, just agreeing

Dave Diddy likes this.
  4. theagentcoma

yeah good okay Prestigious

brb gonna go burn my HP books /s

Colby Searcy likes this.
  5. GBlades

Trusted

I'm still trying to wrap my head around the logic that you can't enjoy entertainment after 30. Star Wars, Marvel etc have a year to complete their franchises before I have to turn away all my merchandise....

Colby Searcy, FTank and Jason Tate like this.
  6. Super hero avatars unite. :spiderman:

GBlades likes this.
  7. GBlades

Trusted

:venom:dont care, these are awesome .

Jason Tate likes this.
  8. marsupial jones

make a bagel without the hole

did someone actually put 30 as as the stopping age lol

9. theagentcoma

yeah good okay Prestigious

damn, I'm 30 now. I only have a few more months of fun left!

10. angrycandy

I’m drama in these khaki towns Supporter

you better hurry!

Jason Tate likes this.
  11. Letterbomb31

Trusted Prestigious

Nothing you've said justifies her being as obscenely wealthy as she is. No one needs that much money when at the same time millions are forced to live in poverty and die of starvation each year. If anyone should "get out of here with that nonsense", it's you.

12. jpmalone4

Stay Lucky Supporter

Yes, of course, and I shouldn’t have implied otherwise, and adults are free to like whatever fiction they like.

What I worry about I guess is some of these fandom/cultures that can be quite toxic and unaccepting, and how juvenile they can be about... fictional things. I should have made that more clear.

13. Non-fiction “fans” and cultures around them aren’t any better. I don’t see this as something endemic to fiction or fiction fans.

14. GBlades

Trusted

Basically!

jpmalone4 likes this.
  15. Colby Searcy

Is admired for his impeccable (food) tastes Prestigious

Am I allowed to discuss these Llama Llama picture books I checked out today in here?

Garrett L. and GBlades like this.
  16. GBlades

Trusted

I would very much like to discuss those but I'm trying to reread Lord of the Rings before I turn 30 and have to run for Prime Minister

17. Colby Searcy

But seriously I've read more books in the past 2 years or so than I did in the 10 or so before that and not one of those books did I ever feel "challenged" by

Garrett L., GBlades and Wharf Rat like this.
  18. Colby Searcy

The point is, read whatever you want and like, whether it be the Funny pages is a newspaper or Infinite Jest, you aren't any less of a reader for doing so. Just fucking read

Philll, jordalsh, angrycandy and 4 others like this.
  19. The Lucky Moose

I'm Emotional, I Hug the Block Prestigious

20. The Lucky Moose

Colby Searcy likes this.
  21. Colby Searcy

Hah, No hate there either, I do too! Been on a kick of at least 1 a week typically. I just feel like reading/listening to anything is expanding your mind in it's own way.

The Lucky Moose likes this.
  22. The Lucky Moose

I just had to read so much for school (and have to read so much for school again now) that I’m kind of sick of reading lmao so audiobooks are a good alternative

Colby Searcy likes this.
  23. Deanna

Trusted Supporter

My internet was down (which also meant no TV) from Wednesday evening up until less than 3 hours ago today. So I finished Showtime by Jeff Pearlman, which is a wonderful look at the 80s Lakers. Started The World According to Star Wars by Cass R. Sunstein after that and I'm more than halfway through it. It's an interesting look at the SW universe.

24. marsupial jones

make a bagel without the hole

i've taken a pretty significant break from reading. haven't read a book since end of April. really burned myself out on. looking back i see that i was still enjoying the activity but i had turned it more into a competition. "gotta read even more books than last year! gotta read faster! gotta catch up to strangers i'll never meet or talk to online that have read so much more than me and have been reading for so many more years!"

it literally became smothering to the point where i would feel bad for watching a movie, a tv show, playing video games or doing essentially anything but reading. like, my mind would say, "why aren't you reading? look at all this time spent at the gym or with friends! you could have finished that book / started a new book and be a quarter of the way done by now!". my mind somehow fucking ruined reading for me. although this happens with everything for me - music, video games, film, concerts, politics, sports. i dive in and go 10000 mph and burn out on it and then forget about it.

so, i took a break from reading.

and later this week i'll start back up again. going to start with my favorite author, Don DeLillo and work my way through his works in chronological order. no rushing, no goals, no timelines. just... reading because i miss it and enjoy it (when i'm not pressuring myself or turning it into some weird competition). you know, like a normal person.

i'm very excited.

25. Garrett Aug 20, 2018
    (Last edited: Aug 20, 2018)
    Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

I know we're not technically supposed to advertise this way, but my best friend wrote a book and the cover reveal is today and I wrote a blog post reviewing it/helping reveal the cover and I'd appreciate it if some of you would check it out. Thanks.

Edit: It's available for pre-order now on Amazon.

Colby Searcy and The Lucky Moose like this.