Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Book Thread Book • Page 7

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Melody Bot, Mar 13, 2015.

1. Liz

Ew, David

Has anyone read House of Leaves? I have been trying to read this book for 2 years and haven't managed to get past the first few pages (after the intro, which I liked a lot)

2. angrycandy

I’m drama in these khaki towns Supporter

It's been sitting on my shelf for about 2 years now lol

coleslawed and Garrett L. like this.
  3. It's actually my favorite book. The style takes some getting used to, but I definitely think it's worth the time and effort.

4. jpmalone4

Stay Lucky Supporter

House of Leaves isn't as intimidating as it looks; it doesn't take as long to read as it would seem. It's also a lot of fun.

5. Joel

Trusted Prestigious

I've read House of Leaves four times

Just finished the new DeLillo, was great as expected

6. Vivatoto

Royal Court of Princess Donut Prestigious

House of Leaves is a masterpiece.

troyplaysbass likes this.
  7. Deanna

Trusted Supporter

Also agree that House of Leaves was great!

8. angrycandy

I’m drama in these khaki towns Supporter

Well now I have to read it. Thanks for incentivizing me, guys. I really did need it :-)

9. iam1bearcat

i'm writing a book, leave me alone.

since there's two stories here that cut into each other, literally, on the page, be sure to read the main one all the way through first. don't go back and forth with both.

enjoy!

angrycandy likes this.
  10. Liz

Ew, David

This is making me excited to attempt it again. But if I hate it, I'm blaming all of you ;-p

angrycandy likes this.
  11. muttley

"Fuck you, Peaches!" Prestigious

Slowly but surely making my way through Kitchen Confidential. Love it so far.

ChaseTx likes this.
  12. Deanna

Trusted Supporter

Garrett L. likes this.
  13. Joel

Trusted Prestigious

Wait, are you saying like not to read the Johnny stuff as you go through with Navidson?

14. jpmalone4

Stay Lucky Supporter

That's an interesting approach, but I choose to read Navidson and Johnny concurrently because its very revealing (and sometimes funny) the way Johnny interrupts Zampano's writing. The only thing I would definitely recommend is to read the appendixes immediately when the text refers to them. Those have some of the best stuff in the book (especially Johnny's) and shouldn't be skipped or read as an afterthought.

15. Yeah, I think for the first time through, it's essential to read both parts and follow the footnotes. The interplay between Johnny and Navidson (and the Editors) is what makes the book so great.

Vivatoto likes this.
  16. iam1bearcat

i'm writing a book, leave me alone.

finally finished the slog fest that is Love in the Time of Cholera. i absolutely love One Hundred Years of Solitude, but Cholera is nothing close to that (aside from general setting). Cholera has some serious, serious issues and some disturbing mindsets and the fact that this is called a "love" story is creepy, disturbing and a factual lie.

bleh.

17. WordsfromaSong

Trusted

House of Leaves is interesting but it was way overhyped to me

18. Leftandleaving

I will be okay. everything Supporter

I'm about halfway through One Hindred Years of Solitude. I'm enjoying it a lot, though it's confusing with the names and occasional time jumps (between characters with the same names...)

19. moderndynamo

bork bork

Anyone else read Rothfuss' The Name of The Wind? About 30 pages away from finishing it and it's been such a fun read.

20. Vivatoto

Great book. Pretty loved around these parts.

21. moderndynamo

bork bork

Thinking about reading The Wise Man's Fear, but don't know if I want to make the 1100 page commitment ATM.

22. Vivatoto

I took a pretty large break in between, it's easy enough to jump back into the world. Wise Man's Fear is even better though, so you'll have a great time. Who knows when day 3 will be ready.

23. moderndynamo

bork bork

That's what I am thinking. Likely going to jump into Discworld next.

24. Deanna

Trusted Supporter

Just started The Last One by Alexandra Oliva. It's due out 7/12 so hopefully I'll have it reviewed by then.

Also, meant to start the Infinite Summer reading challenge for Infinite Jest, but I'm already a week behind so we'll see how that goes.

25. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

I finished "The Wise Man's Fear" yesterday and "Name of the Wind" a few weeks ago. I'll have reviews up of both on my book blog tomorrow/Sunday.

Sneak peak: unlike all of you, I do not really like these books at all.

Heading to the beach, so I've got two short audiobooks lined up for the drive and two or three short reads for the week in between. Hoping to get ahead a little on my 50 for 2016. Got behind slogging through Rothfuss for a moth.