Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Book Thread Book • Page 62

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Melody Bot, Mar 13, 2015.

1. OotyPa

fall away

Just started Murakami’s Kafka On The Shore. Love it so far. I’ve only read Hard -Boiled Wonderland by him and his voice is very distinct

Philll likes this.
  2. Deanna

Trusted Supporter

The used bookstore that I go to is having a moving sale that started today and I went to two libraries with bookstores, too. Ended up buying 18 books that I already had no room for.

3. Colby Searcy

Is admired for his impeccable (food) tastes Prestigious

Sounds like a book lover

TJ Wells likes this.
  4. Deanna

Trusted Supporter

Yep haha. They just take up so much space. I honestly might have like 60 books just stacked on my dresser now because I'm out of bookshelf space.

angrycandy and Colby Searcy like this.
  5. angrycandy

I’m drama in these khaki towns Supporter

I have way too many books

Colby Searcy and Deanna like this.
  6. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

With all my financial troubles the last five years, I’ve provably sold close to 700 books to pay bills or buy food/clothes I needed.

I miss my bookshelves.

I got promoted a few weeks ago and told myself I couldn’t go on a book buying frenzy for three paychecks. The amazon cart is a-growing.

7. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

I guess if you use all of one paycheck on this you won't need three paycheck binges

angrycandy and Colby Searcy like this.
  8. Garrett

That’s also the paycheck that covers my audible membership so it’s a paycheck well spent imho

EmmanuelSCastle and angrycandy like this.
  9. AelNire

@RiotGrlErin Supporter

I haven’t! I just got He new Stephen King though.

Colby Searcy likes this.
  10. John Lopiano

aka Broken Parachute Moderator

I just picked this up. Pretty excited about it.

Attached Files:

angrycandy likes this.
  11. stars143

Trusted

Currently reading:

The Prize: The Epic Quest for Oil, Money & Power by Daniel Yergin - a history of the 19th and 20th history through the lens of oil. It's 800-ish pages, so this will take a while to get through.

Never Split the Difference: Negotiating As If Your Life Depended On It by Chris Voss - a book about negotiation by a former FBI hostage negotiator.

The Heights: Anatomy of a Skyscraper by Kate Ascher

12. Dave Diddy

Grief is only love that’s got no place to go Supporter

13. finnyscott

I'm from New York. No, not the city.

This year I've been mixing new reads and re-reads of fiction and non-fiction alike, and it's been great. Non-fiction wise I'm currently working my way through A Short History of Nearly Everything by Bill Bryson (incredible) and Joe Cinque's Consolation by Helen Garner (fascinating story of a murder trial from Australia). I've recently finished Our Final Invention by James Barrat and Hawking's A Brief History of Time.

Fiction, I just finished Leviathan by Paul Auster and started another one of his books, The Music of Chance. Leviathan is heavily recommended if you're looking for realistic fiction with a political twist and great characterization. A few months back I started the Hyperion Cantos but I've only read the first one - a bit slow to get into, but by the end of the first section I couldn't put it down and plowed through the rest of it in like two days. One of the best pieces of science fiction I've read in a long time.

And I'm about halfway through Paradise Lost which I did not expect to enjoy so much. And I'm also in the middle of John Ciardi's translation of The Divine Comedy and it's beautifully written. I remember liking Inferno back in undergrad, but this translation is a lot better in my opinion and it's really resonating with me.

Other random reads this year have been A Brave New World which I have been meaning to get to for years and I was not disappointed, and I reread 1984 as well. Rendición by Ray Loriga was another good dystopian piece in Spanish, but kinda similar to 1984.

I've obviously decided 2018 is going to be my year of reading. Not mad about it tbh

Patrick, stars143 and Colby Searcy like this.
  14. stars143

Trusted

I need to reread A Short History of Nearly Everything. I read that as a young teen and it shaped my worldview in a way not many books have. Bill Bryson has a knack for making any topic interesting and accessible.

Philll and finnyscott like this.
  15. Donnie Ruth

Trusted Supporter

Reading House Rules by Jodi Picoult. Enjoying it thus far through 200 pages! I've only read Nineteen Minutes by her and heavily enjoyed that. I like her because the story usually is a crime/mystery/court novel but with a good topic researched behind it.

16. Patrick

I just read Hyperion and had pretty much exactly the same experience as you! It took me about 5 attempts to even reach the priests tale, but by the time I finally finished that chapter, I plowed through the rest of the book in 2 sittings. I don’t usually read sci-fi, but I’m really excited to read the rest of the series.

finnyscott likes this.
  17. Deanna

Trusted Supporter

Currently reading Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn since I happen to have free HBO until August and the show premieres on Sunday. Hoping to have the book finished by then.

stayillogical likes this.
  18. Philll

Trusted

I have At Home lined up for my upcoming holiday. One Summer is probably one of the most enjoyable books I've ever read.

19. Donnie Ruth

Trusted Supporter

Just finished that last week! Easy quick read, you should be good!

20. Deanna

Trusted Supporter

Yeah I'm about 130 pages in right now. I should have plenty of time to read between now and Sunday too so that'll help a bunch haha.

21. DickyCullz

I create content for some of your favorite artists

I've been on-off reading Oathbringer since it came out FML. Sometimes I miss having a 70 minute commute on public transport to work everyday. Was good reading time

22. GBlades

Trusted

Currently reading it at the moment. My commute is about 20 minutes and that's hardly enough time to read a few chapters.

23. Garrett

Oathbringer dominated my life and free time for like a week.

I didn’t sleep much that week.

Kvothe likes this.
  24. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Finished Bright Lights, Big City in a day. Good read, not as good as any BEE though

25. jpmalone4

Stay Lucky Supporter

Finished Magpie Murders on the 4th, which was awesome, I loved it. Starting Watership Down next, more or less thanks to Hop Along’s “What the Writer Meant.”

Colby Searcy and Philll like this.