Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Book Thread Book • Page 61

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Melody Bot, Mar 13, 2015.

1. shogunTORTOISE

Regular

Currently in the middle of Robin by Dave Itzkoff and I highly recommend it. His death still hits me hard.

2. Deanna

Trusted Supporter

Finished The Raw Shark Texts today and really enjoyed it. Now to decide what's next...

jordalsh likes this.
  3. Philll

Trusted

Thanks! Not really concerned about humour, its just the setting that I find compelling.

I read the road a few years ago and it's fantastic. I'll have to seek out Y, thanks for the rec!

Garrett L. likes this.
  4. Dave Diddy

Grief is only love that’s got no place to go Supporter

5. RileyWitiw

more like absolutepop.net Supporter

Very stoked to have published my first book, "How to Build and Maintain Relationships with Mental Illness." We did dozens of interviews with people with mental illness to get their insight, identify challenges, and provide potential solutions. The whole thing was a really cool experience, and I learned so much throughout the process of writing. If anyone's interested, you can take a look here.

6. angrycandy

I’m drama in these khaki towns Supporter

congratulations!

Colby Searcy and RileyWitiw like this.
  7. RileyWitiw

Colby Searcy and angrycandy like this.
  8. theagentcoma

yeah good okay Prestigious

This is fantastic, congrats. I and many others I know suffer from multiple mental illnesses so I'm very interested in this topic!

angrycandy and Colby Searcy like this.
  9. RileyWitiw

Much appreciated! Not sure about the states, but 1/4 of Canadians have mental illness of some kind--it affects a huge amount of people. That is to say, if you don't have mental illness, someone you love probably does. Yet as a society, we are not addressing the issue nearly as well as we are capable of with the treatments and medicine available. One of the reasons my co-authors and I wrote it was to contribute to the body of literature to confront the stigma against mental illness, which is probably the biggest reason why we are underachieving, because it stops people from caring about the issue as much as they should.

theagentcoma likes this.
  10. Dave Diddy

EmmanuelSCastle likes this.
  11. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

it's good

12. TJ Wells

Trusted Prestigious

Anyone else read Roberto Bolaño? Like, aside from the two big ones?

13. Dave Diddy

Always meant to after reading "the two big ones" but never got around to it.

14. TJ Wells

Trusted Prestigious

There’s a lot of good stuff there.

15. Philll

Trusted

Just started The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay. This is gonna take me forever.

16. TJ Wells

Trusted Prestigious

No it’s not. Trust me.

Philll likes this.
  17. Took me over two years. The dense writing made it hard for me to get through it quickly. Then I'd stop, and have to start up again, and forget and go back.

Good book though.

Philll likes this.
  18. Colby Searcy

Is admired for his impeccable (food) tastes Prestigious

Currently reading The President Is Missing. @AelNire have you read it?

AelNire likes this.
  19. Colby Searcy

Is admired for his impeccable (food) tastes Prestigious

Also I've notice lately that publishers seem to have a specific page count of 368 on new books. I've looked at like 5 newer books reheating and all of them had 368 pages.

Any insight @Garrett L. or anybody else that's been published?

20. angrycandy

I’m drama in these khaki towns Supporter

you're Jim Carrey now dude

21. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

They’re probably all looking at specific word counts that equate to the same formatting page layout.

TJ Wells likes this.
  22. wisdomfordebris

Moderator Moderator

i just started the master and margarita

23. TJ Wells

Trusted Prestigious

Someone read the savage detectives with me.

EmmanuelSCastle likes this.
  24. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

me I will it's on my list I gotta get it first tho

25. TJ Wells

Trusted Prestigious

I think I like it more than 2666. It’s one of the most compulsively readable things I’ve ever read