The Book Thread Book • Page 6

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Melody Bot, Mar 13, 2015.

1. angrycandy

your shoes are on backwards Prestigious

Bought A Head Full of Ghosts today. Pretty excited about it

Vivatoto likes this.
  2. Vivatoto

Science is whatever we want it to be Prestigious

It's so good

angrycandy likes this.
  3. AelNire

@RiotGrlErin Prestigious

Vivatoto likes this.
  4. Kellan

JuneJuly Prestigious

Aaahhhh I just finished the second one. The last few pages were so hard to read.

5. Garrett L.

Carole Baskin fed her husband to a tiger. Moderator

Insanely hard, but I felt like the craft and words themselves around that were very beautiful? I cried reading it.

6. chris

Trusted Supporter

Started reading Boys Among Men: How the Prep-to-Pro Generation Redefined the NBA and Sparked a Basketball Revolution by Jonathan Abrams, which is a mouthful, but it's really very good so far.

Also been reading the Rap Year Book on my lunch breaks, it's a lot of fun

7. Deanna

Trusted Supporter

Both of these are so great! I'm only halfway through Rap Year Book, though. It's one I basically read just when I have nothing else to do haha. I also highly recommend The Legends Club by John Feinstein if you're interested in college ball at all.

8. chris

Trusted Supporter

haha yeah I'm doing the same thing. I think I just got to 1990, I just read through one when I have like 15 minutes at work or something.
    And actually I never really was until watching this past NCAA tournament and have been getting a bit more into it, so maybe I'll check that out. Thanks for the rec!

9. Deanna

Trusted Supporter

Yeah I'm pretty sure I pre-ordered Rap Year Book last year and still haven't finished it haha.

Let me know if you do! It focuses more on the legendary coaches for college ball, but was still a great read.

10. dlemert

Trusted

Picked up A Head Full of Ghosts since everyone's been gushing on it lately. Honestly wasn't too blown away. There were some creepy moments in the first half of the book but things fizzled out from there.

11. dlemert

Trusted

This is the year of Don Delillo for me. Started with Falling Man, then Point Omega, then The Angel Esmeralda, now working on Zero K and plan to get into his earlier stuff next.

12. angrycandy

Delillo is a genius

Actually just picked A Head Full of Ghosts up off the shelf to start reading today. Hope I like it more than you did

13. dlemert

Trusted

I think it's probably a great book, just not for me.

Absolutely loving Delillo, though.

angrycandy likes this.
  14. Deanna

Trusted Supporter

Just finished reading an advance of The Girls by Emma Cline. I enjoy her writing but my main gripe with the book was that it's just a fictionalized version of the Manson murders. I'll likely have a review up on my site tomorrow.

15. Dave Diddy

I've been out looking for where the light went

Did anyone else sign up for the Goodreads deals emails? Sometimes the books on sale are junk but I've purchased 3 books so far. They emailed me today saying Swan Song by Robert McCammon is only $1.99 for the Kindle version so I bought it.

16. Deanna

Trusted Supporter

I grabbed something from one of these emails recently too. Although, I have no clue what it was now haha.

Edit: Just checked and it was Requiem For A Dream that I picked up for $1.99.

17. Garrett L.

Carole Baskin fed her husband to a tiger. Moderator

That book is incredible

18. saturdaysaviour

19. iam1bearcat

i'm writing a book, leave me alone.

Don DeLillo is one of the top 3 greatest writers. Ever. Read everything he has written.

dlemert likes this.
  20. jpmalone4

Stay Lucky Supporter

Plan on checking this out some point over the summer, seems like there's a lot of buzz around it at the moment. Does it live up to the hype?

21. Deanna

Trusted Supporter

I didn't pay much attention to the hype tbh. But I really enjoyed her writing! I'd say definitely check it out.

22. dlemert

Trusted

Started Paul Tremblay's Disappearance at Devil's Rock last night, and already feel I'm gonna like this one more than A Head Full of Ghosts.

23. Deanna

Trusted Supporter

Currently reading Sex, Drugs, and Cocoa Puffs for the first Missaligned Book Club! If anyone is interested, we'll be covering the book on next week's episode.

24. angrycandy

Love that book

Deanna likes this.
  25. angrycandy

I'm on chapter 15 of A Head Full of Ghosts and I love it. Definitely interested in checking out more of his work.

Vivatoto likes this.