Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Book Thread Book • Page 58

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Melody Bot, Mar 13, 2015.

1. Philll

Trusted

Just finished Tipping the Velvet, darn well had me crying at the end.

2. Deanna

Trusted Supporter

Forever having library ebooks checked out to me because I forget that I put holds on them. Still working on Deep Work and only read like 15 pages of Midnight Sun by Jo Nesbo.

Colby Searcy likes this.
  3. angrycandy

I’m drama in these khaki towns Supporter

finished Zero K today. I enjoyed it a lot. DeLillo has yet to really let me down. what a writer. I'm either about to start A Horse Walks into a Bar by David Grossman or Outer Dark by Cormac McCarthy. if anyone has read either book and would like to posit an opinion about which I should read next, I'd welcome it

Colby Searcy and EmmanuelSCastle like this.
  4. Deanna

Trusted Supporter

aspeedomodel and angrycandy like this.
  5. angrycandy

I’m drama in these khaki towns Supporter

I'm sold

aspeedomodel, Colby Searcy and Deanna like this.
  6. Colby Searcy

Is admired for his impeccable (food) tastes Prestigious

Never read a Chuck P book, not sure how much I'd enjoy it.

7. Colby Searcy May 3, 2018
    (Last edited: May 3, 2018)
    Colby Searcy

Also I just finished listening to Anatomy of A Scandal by Sarah Vaughan and I gotta say this is one of the most relevant to modern times with the #MeToo movement and just the high profile sexual abuse cases and just the general awareness of it in society.

It's probably not for everyone, as it can get pretty graphic about rape and rape culture and definition of consent and I can see how it may be traumatic to some but if you're into crime fiction, I'd give it a shot. I also appreciate how in depth this book went with the trial and hearing and such.

If this is inappropriate to talk about let me know and I can spoiler tag or delete

idlehands likes this.
  8. aspeedomodel

Cautiously pessimistic Prestigious

I'm about halfway through Adjustment Day, really enjoying it.

Deanna and angrycandy like this.
  9. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

I’m 1/3 of the way through Seveneves and it’s blowing my mind. Incredible for so much hard science in the plot.

awakeohsleeper likes this.
  10. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

WordsfromaSong and Colby Searcy like this.
  11. jpmalone4

Stay Lucky Supporter

Good idea. Also worth nothing only 14 women have won the award since its inception in 1901 :teethsmile:

12. Colby Searcy

Sounds like it'll still be given just not until next year

13. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

that is so wild Jesus

angrycandy likes this.
  14. WordsfromaSong

Trusted

I can't believe this shit about Junot Diaz.

ECV likes this.
  15. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

seen some stuff on Twitter but it doesn't tell me what's going on, got a link?

16. WordsfromaSong

Trusted

17. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

ah. disappointed, but not surprised. can say first hand that Dominican masculinity is a fucked culture. I'm Dominican like him and I also want to be a writer so I looked up to him but yeah, this is fucked in every way and I hope he does what's necessary to acknowledge his errors and act accordingly as opposed to trying to brush it off

EarthShifts likes this.
  18. Leftandleaving

I will be okay. everything Supporter

Really disappointing, especially given how critical his work is of misogyny

19. Dave Diddy

Grief is only love that’s got no place to go Supporter

20. emersontheauthor

Regular

Interesting! I'm not a super fan of his, but I did enjoy Looking for Alaska and An Abundance of Katherines. I question how much I'll enjoy this adaptation, though - I think it'll be a little young for me now.

21. Dave Diddy

Grief is only love that’s got no place to go Supporter

Yeah I was thinking the same thing. I really enjoyed Looking For Alaska when I read it ehhhh 10 years ago or so but I'm curious to see how/if I'll relate to a tv show of it now.

emersontheauthor likes this.
  22. Colby Searcy

Currently reading The Last Equation of Isaac Severy. About 1/2 through so far but enjoying it quite a bit so far.

It's being described by some as a literary mystery @Garrett L. You might be interested.

23. drewinseries

Drew

Actually just came in to praise for Isaac Severy. Just finished. Fun read for sure.

Colby Searcy likes this.
  24. Colby Searcy

I'm not sure I like it after first read, I don't dislike it though either.

The revelations at the end I'm still so confused by, Especially about a specific character. I either missed a whole lot or that part was kinda just thrown in. I really enjoyed the math though eventhough I didn't understand it fully.

25. drewinseries

Drew

Chaos theory is a pretty cool thing in math, while a predictive equation is pretty far fetched, it made fun in the story for sure. Are you talking about Greg? It makes sense in a way, but it did feel kind thrown in. I felt the Hazel/Alex ending was kind of phoned in. I didn't feel much of anything towards it. I think Phillip had the best arc. I also think it kind hyped up a lot of possible things that never happened? I kind of thought it was take off in a way, but didnt really. Either way, it was a fun "popcorn" esq read.

Colby Searcy likes this.