Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Book Thread Book • Page 57

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Melody Bot, Mar 13, 2015.

1. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

Jim Dale is amazing. Rob Inglis did the LOTRs I have.

Colby Searcy likes this.
  2. Dave Diddy

Grief is only love that’s got no place to go Supporter

So for those of you looking for some good sci-fi, I highly recommend reading the Remembrance of Earth's Past Trilogy (book 1 is The Three Body Problem) by a Chinese author Liu Cixin. New rumor out there that Amazon wants the rights and is willing to spend 1 billion dollars to obtain them.

Amazon may spend $1 billion to adapt hit Chinese sci-fi novels

3. Garrett

I just discovered that Liu Cixin and Ken Liu aren't the same author, but have worked on each other's books and it wasn't one of those weird anglicizations that publishers try.

4. emersontheauthor

Regular

I definitely get it - I'm the same way with Harry Potter. I grew up with it and it has literally defined aspects of my personality and life...I even got married at 11:00 on September 1st, haha. So I understand your passion for it!

Garrett L. and Colby Searcy like this.
  5. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

did you like it? that's what I was thinking of when I said a little edgy, but tbh not a lot of urban fantasy in that vein anymore/at the time so I understand why it might come off clumsy when you don't have a ton of peers to bounce off of. I really liked that series growing up though. her newer curse worker trilogy was good, mixed urban fantasy with crime/noir which was very cool. didn't finish it cause I lost the last book when I moved though :/

6. Garrett

I honestly don’t remember what I thought of it. I do know she was a precursor to Cassandra Clare in a lot of ways and I’ve heard her urban YA fantasies are top tier.

7. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

Cassandra Clare is a talented writer who'd prefer to make money and I can't knock the hustle but since the original Mortal Instruments trilogy she's kind of ripped herself off endlessly. her work isn't without merit but I wouldn't call it top tier anymore

Garrett L. likes this.
  8. stayillogical

Kayak, deed, rotator, noon, racecar, Woo Young-woo Prestigious

I'm reading Dark Matter and my suspicions were just confirmed that this is basically like a plotline from Fringe. That show was amazing.

9. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

To be fair, it's my own fault because I have spent the last two weeks reading Don Quixote which ended up being a mammoth read - I've caused my own backlog!

Colby Searcy likes this.
  10. Colby Searcy Mar 29, 2018
    (Last edited: Mar 29, 2018)
    Colby Searcy

Is admired for his impeccable (food) tastes Prestigious

My problem is always finding multiple things to read and ordering them thinking they'll take a while to come in. Next thing I know I have 4 books to be picked up haha

awakeohsleeper likes this.
  11. marsupial jones

make a bagel without the hole

I finished the LOTR trilogy earlier this month. Actually, I read a lot of it I summaries because I hated hated hated the prose so much. They aren't long books but Tolkien just didn't know how to write / move scenes along. Everything felt endlessly plotting along to me.

emersontheauthor likes this.
  12. johnnyutes

Vaya con Dios Supporter

Oh man. You are in for a trip. I laughed, cried, cringed, yelled, you name it.

jordalsh likes this.
  13. Donnie Ruth

Trusted Supporter

I have this booked called The Boy Who Lived With Ghosts by John Mitchell. It seems like it could be real good, but curious if anyone here has heard of/read it?

14. only like 200 in and i think i've done all of that already lol. hoping to knock out a big chunk of it this weekend.

johnnyutes likes this.
  15. Kellan

@kellanthomas Prestigious

"Amazon might spend $1 billion adapting The Three-Body Problem". https://trib.al/biX7nR0

According to the article its $1b just for the rights to the series. Insane.

But yessssss please

16. GBlades

Trusted

Fuck, I hope so! Although I dont think the sheer vastness and sci fi could even be adapted fairly. Good on Amazon trying to get new ideas like LOTR and WOT. Now this. Glad I kept my Prime account.

17. angrycandy

I’m drama in these khaki towns Supporter

finished DeLillo's End Zone today. enjoyed it. now I'm about to start Zero K by DeLillo. more people should read DeLillo

18. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

bought Jesus' Son by Denis Johnson. both Sonic Youth and Thursday have referenced his work so I'm excited to see what I'm in for here. the intersection of music and literature is one of my favorite things

19. stayillogical Apr 11, 2018
    (Last edited: Apr 11, 2018)
    stayillogical

Kayak, deed, rotator, noon, racecar, Woo Young-woo Prestigious

I finished Dark Matter today. It started slow, but it got wild around the middle and I loved it. Highly recommend if you want a good sci fi to read quickly.

fluxyjoe likes this.
  20. Joel

Trusted Prestigious

I need to read more of his work but Zero K is incredible imo, it felt sterile at times in the way it communicated but it was suitable to the themes and has stuck with me for a while

Only Johnson book I've read but it's wonderful, I think you'll love it

EmmanuelSCastle and angrycandy like this.
  21. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

about to start it tonight actually so I'll let you know

Joel likes this.
  22. Joel

Trusted Prestigious

Anybody in here messed up enough to have ready any Blake Butler?

23. marsupial jones

make a bagel without the hole

Started Cujo last night. Never expected it to start with a recap of The Dead Zone. That's wild.

Also - absolutely LOVED the reference to "The Mauler" (short story from Night Shift) that showed up in Roadwork.

This is why I'm glad I started reading King in chronological order.

chewbacca110 and Vivatoto like this.
  24. Deanna

Trusted Supporter

Currently reading Star Wars: Canto Bight and started on Deep Work by Cal Newport (but didn't get very far in that yet). Next up I'll be checking out Jo Nesbo for the first time. Has anyone read his stuff?

25. Colby Searcy

Is admired for his impeccable (food) tastes Prestigious

I've always been interested in him and his novels sound interesting but there's always something that makes me leery and I have to clue what it is because it seems like something I'd really like.

Deanna likes this.