Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Book Thread Book • Page 5

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Melody Bot, Mar 13, 2015.

1. moderndynamo

bork bork

Finished up Hemingway's "A Moveable Feast" not too long ago, before moving onto "Welcome to Nightvale" (if you're into the podcast, the book is a real treat - though not a huge mind-bender). Highly recommend A Moveable Feast. Great look into the life of a young writer in the 20's in Paris and the way of life Hemingway led, as told by his perspective.

Going middle-school af currently and re-reading B. Jaques "Redwall". Fun little read.

coleslawed likes this.
  2. Just finished this the other day, so I want to reiterate my recommendation because holy shit it was so good. Started The Wise Man's Fear, which is the second book of the series.

3. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

I'm reading Name of the Wind right now as well.

scottlechowicz and scott like this.
  4. Vivatoto

Royal Court of Princess Donut Prestigious

Night Channels likes this.
  5. angrycandy

I’m drama in these khaki towns Supporter

the movie is quite different, but I adore both

jordalsh likes this.
  6. Deanna

Trusted Supporter

Vivatoto and Garrett L. like this.
  7. highfidelity203

Hailey, It Happens Prestigious

Funny that you mention Your Favorite Band Is Killing Me by Steven Hyden - I was JUST listening to him on the Washed Up EMO podcast. I'll have to check out his book. The Rich Cohen was just added to my "to read" list.

8. Deanna

Trusted Supporter

Nice! I listened to that podcast recently, too. Really like his work.

9. Expanse

Just starting My Struggle Book 1. I'm liking it a lot more than I thought I would be.

10. jpmalone4

Stay Lucky Supporter

Check out Kevin Barry's Beatlebone. Came out late last year, and written by an Irish author. Very short, but enjoyable, especially if you like Lennon.

11. this seems amazing, I'm gonna check it out. thanks!

jpmalone4 likes this.
  12. Kellan

@kellanthomas Prestigious

Has anyone read The Magicians by Lev Grossman? I'm hooked.

13. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

All three! The first one is okay, the second two are all time greats.

14. Vivatoto

Just picked up City of Mirrors

!!!

Feel like I've been waiting forever for this. Big ass King stamp of approval on back.

15. omgrawr

That loneliness is not a function of solitude.

I HAVE FINALLY FINISHED INFINITE JEST OMG WTF IS LIFE?

Anyone else finish it and go through being furious and then realizing it's really brilliant after further review?

16. saturdaysaviour

Regular

Gonna start So You've Been Publicly Shamed by Jon Ronson later. Already finished The Psychopath Test and Adventures with Extremists last year and they were :thumbup:

fastlife likes this.
  17. AelNire

@RiotGrlErin Supporter

I love libraries.

image.gif

18. fastlife

Regular Supporter

I've read "So You've Been Publicly Shamed" and "Lost at Sea" but haven't read any others of his yet. Do you recommend "The Psychopath Test" over "Them"?

19. iam1bearcat

i'm writing a book, leave me alone.

i love books, but hate libraries. god knows how people treat items they've purchased with their own money and how they treat their kids. to think what they do to shit that's free and for public use? blugh. i like what libraries do and symbolize, but i can't rent or buy used books.

20. AelNire

@RiotGrlErin Supporter

That's a take on libraries that I've never really thought about. I don't read books more than once so buying doesn't make sense for me. I give $100 every Christmas so they can purchase new books and they put donated by Erin or whoever and those books seemed to be handled more delicately. I'm pleasantly suprised how well cared for the books are at my library though.

21. coleslawed

Eat Pizza

having worked at a library, I can say that people probably take better care than you think with library books. granted, there was always a stack that needed repairs, but it was nothing compared to the number of books that came in and out every day.

22. Deanna

Trusted Supporter

Just finished two 33 1/3 series books this weekend, Sleater-Kinney's Dig Me Out and Geto Boys' The Geto Boys. Both were great reads. Now I'm hoping to get in some fiction since I feel like I've had a non-fiction overload lately minus reading comics here and there.

23. AelNire

@RiotGrlErin Supporter

If you liked The Girl on the Train or Gone Girl, I highly recommend The Ex by Alafair Burke. I finished it in a day and a half bc I couldn't put it down.

24. angrycandy

I’m drama in these khaki towns Supporter

Bought A Head Full of Ghosts today. Pretty excited about it

Vivatoto likes this.
  25. Vivatoto

It's so good

angrycandy likes this.