Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Book Thread Book • Page 48

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Melody Bot, Mar 13, 2015.

1. theagentcoma

yeah good okay Prestigious

This is pretty normal. It took me 3 tries to finish the first book, and 2 for the second one haha. After it clicked I couldn't read anything else until I finished all 10 books. The first one was written originally as a screenplay, ten years before the second book was written and it shows. I've often told people that reading Gardens of the Moon is like being dropped in the ocean with weights tied to your legs. Erikson doesn't coddle you, he basically lets you figure everything out on your own.

2. Vivatoto

Royal Court of Princess Donut Prestigious

And ordered Gardens of the Moon

theagentcoma likes this.
  3. theagentcoma

oh shit oh shit oh shit

well damn let me know if you wanna talk about it ever, I have tried to get people into this series but to no avail so far haha

4. Vivatoto

Royal Court of Princess Donut Prestigious

It sounds like exactly what I've been looking for since I finished The Wheel of Time. The reviews I've read have me pumped. I'll let you know what I think.

theagentcoma likes this.
  5. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

I’ve been wanting to read Erikson for years but the name Sarjeant Whiskeyjack makes me mad for some unknown reason.

6. theagentcoma

haha great post. Like its precursor The Black Company, gritty military fantasy that focuses on small groups of soldiers follows the pattern of giving most of the soldiers nicknames. Touchy, Breathless, Antsy, Strings, Fiddler, Hedge, Quick Ben, Bottle, etc. I love it.

Garrett L. likes this.
  7. Garrett

I’m sure I’d love the story, but you know the random things that catch your eye when comparing between two books to decide which one to buy. “Whiskeyjack” is defeated every time thus far

8. Garrett

Head’s up to everyone that Audible has a ton of first books in series on sale right now across tons of genres.

9. angrycandy

I’m drama in these khaki towns Supporter

finished The Body Artist up yesterday

about to start End Zone

marsupial jones likes this.
  10. Garrett

If Barnes & Noble continues on the same timeline as Borders did from the most recent bout of layoffs, we’re looking at them going out of business by 2020.

It’s weird to think the two places I hung out the most in high school could be completely gone by the time I’m 30.

EarthShifts likes this.
  11. angrycandy

that's why I go out of my way to support them. also: guess who is about to open up their own brick and mortar stores—fucking Amazon. they killed off all of their competition so that eventually we will all be buying books from them, but that's capitalism for ya, I guess. it's all just very sad to me

12. marsupial jones

make a bagel without the hole

I don't understand why, but figure there's a legitimate reason, but B&N HAS to start selling books in their stores at their online prices. There's no logical reason for me to go to the actual store and pay upwards of 5-7 bucks extra (per book) just because I can have it immediately in my hands.

That's gotta be hurting them (among many other things).

13. Garrett

I’d love to be at a place where I can afford books not at Amazon pricing, but let’s be real. I got a hardcover book brand new on a amazon for $7 that B&N was selling for $30.

14. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

Maybe books will make a comeback like vinyl and we'll start selling them at Urban outfitters

15. Henry

Moderator Moderator

I was working at Borders right around the time of the downsizing. We were sending back hundreds of books a week and you could see the doom on the faces of the full timers.

Online services just crush B&N. I order my comic books at a 50% MSRP. The most you ever get from B&N is B2G1 and it doesn't really work out. I still love to dig through B&N's clearance on the weekends though. They tend to have some gems.

Garrett L. likes this.
  16. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

I actually go to b&n first and online second just in case I don't have to wait if it's in stock. I'm also an impulsive buyer so I might be in there and see a paperback for 8 bucks and grab it

17. Garrett

I do shop B&N and BAM’s bargain sections a lot.

18. angrycandy

thriftbooks.com and bookdepository.com are both very cool and where I get a lot of my stuff

OotyPa likes this.
  19. tucah

not champ Prestigious

Gonna start up Gardens of the Moon this week

theagentcoma and Vivatoto like this.
  20. angrycandy

I miss Borders so much

21. Garrett

This is in that Audible sale but almost every review is “this narrator is horrible and this book does not translate to audiobook well at all” so now I’m perplexed.

theagentcoma likes this.
  22. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

it's tough because I only read books once so spending $30 on one makes no sense to me, through Amazon I try to buy used so hopefully those booksellers make some money and Jeff Bezos isn't just Scrooge Mcducking in it

23. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

excuse me they already sold the Grumpy Cat book at Urban Outfitters

angrycandy and EmmanuelSCastle like this.
  24. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

Ah yes, the best selling autobiography. How could I be so blind

25. theagentcoma

This is the darkest timeline

HELL YEAH ONE OF US

I actually never listened to the first one on audio so I don't know if it's the same narrator but the rest of them were great, but I'm a fanboy so what do I know lol

Garrett L. and EmmanuelSCastle like this.