Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Book Thread Book • Page 4

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Melody Bot, Mar 13, 2015.

1. Miss Heartcore

Let's build something Together Prestigious

Reading Magnus Bane Chronicles so I can move over to the the dark artifices series/Lady Midnight. Then it's back to the Outlander series, which is as heavily detailed and thick as A Song of Ice and Fire X-(

2. Deanna

Trusted Supporter

Currently reading Kill 'Em and Leave: Searching for James Brown and the American Soul by James McBride. About 1/3 of the way through it and it's a good read so far.

3. Iain

Regular

Rogue Lawyer - John Grisham

I thought this book was a good read if your into a legal drama book. The last 25 pages to end it were dissapointing, felt like it didnt tie up the book at all.

Currently reading Richard Bransons ' The Virgin Way ' - It is fairly interesting

4. bedwettingcosmo

i like bands who can't sing good Supporter

missoula by krakauer is pretty gripping. just like the rest of his stuff.

5. AelNire

@RiotGrlErin Supporter

The past few suspense books I've read I have figured out whodunit before getting halfway through the book. Does anyone have any recommendations of books that caught you off guard?

6. HollywoodAblaze

@maxwell_parker

Haven't read it myself, but someone I trust told me "You're Next" by Gregg Hurwitz is amazing and has an ending that you never see coming.

AelNire likes this.
  7. iCarly Rae Jepsen Apr 25, 2016
    (Last edited: Apr 25, 2016)
    iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

Garrett L. likes this.
  8. Deanna

Trusted Supporter

9. highfidelity203

Hailey, It Happens Prestigious

Just finished "How to Be Good" by Nick Hornby and currently reading "Manhood for Amateurs" by Michael Chabon

10. Night Channels

Trusted

Hold the Dark by William Giraldi

11. Deanna

Trusted Supporter

Currently reading Lost Stars by Claudia Gray and it's fantastic. Hard book to put down if you're a Star Wars fan in any capacity.

12. Vivatoto

Royal Court of Princess Donut Prestigious

@Garrett L. Do you know anything about Daniel Arenson's Dawn of the Dragons trilogy? I was recced it and picked it up cheap.

13. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

I've never heard of him before. All of his books have mid to upper 3 star ratings on Goodreads, though, if you keep track of those sorts of things.

14. Vivatoto

Yeah looking into it more, sounds like he's more of an indie author. He has 5 trilogies set in the same world so if it's good I'm going to be really happy, lol. The first trilogy is normally like $25 but its on sale for 2.99...can't say no to that.

15. Garrett

Definitely a good deal for sure!

16. highfidelity203

Hailey, It Happens Prestigious

About a 1/3 of the way into Kitchens of the Great Midwest by J. Ryan Stradal and thus far it is my favorite read of the year.

17. Garrett

I've plugged my book review blog in the Book Lists thread, but I'm really proud of this review of Stephen King's 11/22/63 so I wanna bump it here as well.

Vivatoto likes this.
  18. Vivatoto

I love that first paragraph

Garrett L. likes this.
  19. local_corn

an existential crisis mixtape

I'm really into The Year of The Flood right now

20. Deanna

Trusted Supporter

Just finished Lost Stars by Claudia Gray and it's definitely a fantastic Star Wars story.

21. Liz

Ew, David

I read Exit, Pursued by a Bear by E.K. Johnston a few weeks ago and can't stop thinking about it. Heavy subject matter but beautifully written characters

I also finished Dark Places by Gillian Flynn 2 days ago and am still freaking out about it

22. Vivatoto

@Garrett L. Good review on Ready Player One. I'm glad to see you enjoyed it so much!

23. omgrawr

That loneliness is not a function of solitude.

Well I'm a little over 3/4 done with Infinite Jest. Started in January. Totally worth it, but sometimes a bit of a chore. Hoping there is a payoff of some sort at the end. Don't get the vibe that it's building up to any kind of big conclusion though.

24. Garrett

Thanks @Vivatoto! It was a blast of a "read" (I listened to the audiobook, amusingly read by Wil Wheaton himself). Looking forward to the movie for sure!

25. almost finished Naked Lunch. definitely different than I expected but I feel like that's all on me since I knew quite a bit about Burroughs going in. my experience with it is more appreciation than enjoyment. might watch the movie after because I'm just very curious how it translates.

has anyone read Heller's Closing Time? not expecting anything as great as Catch-22 but I've been kind of interested in reading it.

also, does anyone have any good recommendations for 2016 fiction? as an ENG major I spent a shitton of time in the past, I'm feeling like I want to be more current. also looking for Irish lit recommendations if you got em.