Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Book Thread Book • Page 32

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Melody Bot, Mar 13, 2015.

1. Colby Searcy

Is admired for his impeccable (food) tastes Prestigious

There was always something about being forced to read a book that really turned me off to it

Deanna likes this.
  2. marsupial jones

make a bagel without the hole

I hated that super long section of a "book in a book" near the end. That section is like 25 fucking pages I think. The rest was real good and great ending.

3. Vivatoto

Royal Court of Princess Donut Prestigious

I made the mistake of realizing that there was a Newspeak appendix right before I got to that part, so I read those two things together and I was dying for a return to the narrative, ha. I did enjoy that part though.

4. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

Book in a book? Justin Cronin redefined what that meant :crylaugh: I'm not mad :crylaugh:

Vivatoto likes this.
  5. Philll

Trusted

Read 1984 when I was 14/15, out of choice rather than because of school. I remember loving it and feeling all superior coz it was the first 'smart' adult novel I read. Picked it up earlier this year to read again so I'm looking forward to getting round to that.

Somewhat related, I just read Brave New World this last week and was pretty disappointed over all. Maybe I was expecting too much from it.

6. Leftandleaving

I will be okay. everything Supporter

I wasn't really all that into brave new world myself

Philll likes this.
  7. Deanna

Trusted Supporter

I liked very few books that I was forced to read in high school haha.

8. Philll

Trusted

The first two chapters were a real challenge to get through. I've seen a bunch of people on goodreads making comments like "well as a biologist actually his explanations are incredible and very enjoyable to read" but like I feel I shouldn't need a degree in science to enjoy a novel.

Zac Djamoos likes this.
  9. marsupial jones

I enjoyed Brave New World - and it has a wicked good ending much to boot, but it's "sequel" Island is an abomination.

Bloodsucker II likes this.
  10. Just moved to NYC and spent an hour in Strand yesterday. That might be the coolest book store I've ever been to.

11. Jakobindeed

My Whole Life is Thunder Prestigious

My new thing is rereading all the books I read in high school for fun as an adult and they're all so much better now that it's not forced upon me, currently rereading As I Lay Dying

12. Btw I picked up Eastman Was Here by Alex Gilvarry

13. [​IMG]

This is a FREE (only for the next 14 days) audio book by Sean McCabe that I think anyone who is wanting to run their own business should listen to.

overlapbook.com

14. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

Sounds interesting and probably would have gone for it if it was a ebook but I don't have much time to listen to audiobooks as I have a lot of podcasts. I've read a few similar books though and they're always helpful.

15. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

Never knew there was a book thread here. Currently waist deep in Jonathan Safran Foer's newest one, Here I Am. Really great-- hes got a way of tapping into the mental and emotional complexities of mundane family dynamics. The plot does hit close to home a little bit, which is preventing me from moving quicker through it. A very good and sad read. Anyone ever check out his other fiction works? Everything is Illuminated was an all time favorite of mine in high school

16. inwaves

the ships have all sailed to the sea

I've been meaning to read him for a while now. Should I start with Everything is Illuminated?

17. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

Actually I would start with Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close, which is also incredible. If you like that and the little styles he employs throughout, you'll also love EII

inwaves likes this.
  18. marsupial jones

@inwaves i would say start with Incredibly Loud. it's easier to read and follow than EII which can take awhile to get into and follow due to structure and the 'way' it's written (i.e. a lot of people think Safran is super pretentious 24/7 which can rub people the wrong way and make him super hard to read at times)

inwaves likes this.
  19. Philll

Trusted

Just finished Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind by Yuval Noah Harari. Makes for pretty bleak reading. Don't get me wrong, it was fascinating, I loved reading it, but I may never look at humanity in the same way... Anyone else read it?

Really excited to pick up the sequel at some point, Homo Deus.

idlehands likes this.
  20. idlehands

I am just now starting the first Harry Potter book and unfortunately it is taking me MUCH longer to read than I would like an elementary school level read to take me but I did just move across country and start a new job in my career. So cutting myself a little slack.

What has everyone else been reading?

Philll and Colby Searcy like this.
  21. Garrett

Steinbeck’s Travels with Charley

idlehands and coleslawed like this.
  22. Colby Searcy

Finished UNSUB by Meg Gardiner today and started Final Girls by Riley Sager

idlehands likes this.
  23. marsupial jones

my new reading chair gets delivered tomorrow. super excited in only a book-loving almost 30-year-old geek can be. not sure what my "first book read in the new chair" will be, but believe me when I say I've been debating it for about a week now.

coleslawed, idlehands, Philll and 2 others like this.
  24. Colby Searcy

That's alot of pressure

25. Garrett

All time favorite book every time.

Colby Searcy likes this.