Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Book Thread Book • Page 30

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Melody Bot, Mar 13, 2015.

1. AelNire

@RiotGrlErin Supporter

I can't get myself to listen to audio books. I zone out. I love the smell of library books so I'll prob never make the switch to audio. I'll always have a physical copy.

2. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

Yeah, exactly. I'm working on novel #2 right now and trying to get novel #1 published (querying is the worst and pitch wars has terrible mentors for my novel, but I'm gonna try anyway) and I've found I write better if I'm reading more. Gotta invest in the craft and all that.

Also, 10/10, 5 stars, highly recommending coloring and listening to audiobooks.

coleslawed and CarpetElf like this.
  3. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

Yeah I'm working on novel #1 and script #2. I definitely feel stagnant when I'm not reading, it really does help a lot. More than any other exercise I've found. Congrats and good luck btw!

Hahaha I'll give it a shot.

Garrett L. likes this.
  4. ChaseTx

Big hat enthusiast Prestigious

That's insane. My goal for this year was to read at least 12 books, which I may or may not get to. I don't have that much free time (and I choose to watch movies or whatever most nights) and when I do read I have a short attention span so I zone out and have to reread sections a lot

Colby Searcy likes this.
  5. Garrett

Thanks! Best advice on novel #1 is to not allow yourself to second guess until you've completed a first draft. It took fifteen people telling me that to get it in my head, so figure I'd pass it along.

CarpetElf likes this.
  6. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

Oh yeah, every piece of advice I've read includes that haha. Though like you said, it takes a bit to really let that sink in.

Garrett L. likes this.
  7. Colby Searcy

Is admired for his impeccable (food) tastes Prestigious

My wife is a pretty quick reader and can do this. Me however, I have to basically have complete silence in order to actually read and get into it. My wife can read and watch TV simultaneously and I just can't

ChaseTx likes this.
  8. ChaseTx

Yeah I can't even read with music playing

Colby Searcy and CarpetElf like this.
  9. Dave Diddy

Grief is only love that’s got no place to go Supporter

David- and Vivatoto like this.
  10. HalfHearted

Regular

I read Gone Girl before I knew there would be a movie. I loved it until about the last 50 pages or so, and it was just a complete let down how it ended. The movie, I thought, was absolutely terrible. That's one reason why I have not watched Girl on the Train. I thought the book was pretty good and don't want to mess it up with the movie. Live by Night is another example by LeHane, loved the book but the movie was a huge letdown for me.

awakeohsleeper and AelNire like this.
  11. HalfHearted

Regular

Haha, this is the same exact thing that happens to me. I feel like I make a bunch of progress only to find out 40 pages is all my work has done. Drives me absolutely crazy.

ChaseTx likes this.
  12. jpmalone4

Stay Lucky Supporter

I can read pretty fast if I have to, but I find if I read a book too fast I don't retain/absorb it as well as when I slow down a bit and take my time.

fluxyjoe and Colby Searcy like this.
  13. marsupial jones

make a bagel without the hole

I've read 105 books this year and 6 graphic novels. The goal was 150 books. Should get there.

It's been two weeks since I've finished a book thanks to work being a madhouse and traveling a lot for it. That's the longest time span in years that I've gone without finishing a book and it's driving me mad.

Having a gf also doesn't help since that eats up so much time and reading is a solo activity.

Colby Searcy likes this.
  14. konop88

I am not what I seem

good god guys how do you do it. I've read 15 books this year and for me it's an absolute record. I usually read a bit before and after work, but it always depends on the book, how much engaging it is. And I listen to audiobooks as well, when have some routine work to do. And I rarely watch anything at all. though I feel inspired now thanks to your stories!

Colby Searcy, ChaseTx and angrycandy like this.
  15. Garrett

111 thus far my word. I was feeling good at 38.

coleslawed and Colby Searcy like this.
  16. HalfHearted

Regular

Just finished my first Erik Larson book, Isaac's Storm, started out a little slow but ended up being very entertaining.

That was my 14th finished book this year. I haven't even read 100 books in my life, let alone finish that amount in 6 months, good on you though.

Colby Searcy and ChaseTx like this.
  17. ChaseTx

Guess I should give up on reading and hurl myself down a well

18. Colby Searcy

Is admired for his impeccable (food) tastes Prestigious

Looks like I'm at 12 actual books for the treat and that's good for me. I can go years without reading one

19. Garrett

Stephen King once said that great writers should read 70-80 books a year and that's just a lot of books.

Colby Searcy likes this.
  20. konop88

I am not what I seem

please don't! there are so many great books to read!

ChaseTx likes this.
  21. jpmalone4

Stay Lucky Supporter

If you can read 30 pages a day you'll be surprised how many books you can get through in a year.

Colby Searcy likes this.
  22. ChaseTx

That's hours of reading for my slow self

coleslawed and Colby Searcy like this.
  23. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

People just need to go at your own speed. Don't compare yourself to others. If you enjoy it, prioritise it. Doesn't matter if it's 30 minutes before bed or three hours every morning before work - whatever time you have, use it. Whatever works for you, do it. Whether it's 15 pages or 150 pages, be yourself. Read, enjoy, learn, grow.

A slow reader who manages a book a month achieves just as much because you're doing what you can. You're alive, you're reading, you're being true to yourself. Don't give up! Keep going!

24. marsupial jones

make a bagel without the hole

Love / hate relationship with Hemingway and finally going to finish A Moveable Feast and it's almost a total hate.

When the best part of your semi-autobiographical book is about another person entirely (F. Scott Fitzgerald) you've done something terribly wrong.

I also can't tell if Hemingway actually liked Fitzgerald because holy shit the amount of embarrassing things Hemingway writes about Scott and Zelda in here. It's like goddamn TMZ from the 1920's.

25. angrycandy

I’m drama in these khaki towns Supporter

I think they both envied the other very much

coleslawed likes this.