Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Book Thread Book • Page 29

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Melody Bot, Mar 13, 2015.

1. Vivatoto

Royal Court of Princess Donut Prestigious

I still need to read more Gaiman. at this point I've only read Good Omens which I thought was just ok.

2. jorbjorb

7 rings

Just read "Millionaire Teacher". Really good personal finance book. Check it out if you have a chance guys.

3. Deanna

Trusted Supporter

I read American Gods what feels like forever ago at this point so don't remember my initial reaction to it. Then I read Trigger Warnings. I've apparently given everything of his a 4/5 on Goodreads, but def don't remember my reaction to AG still haha.

4. Philll

Trusted

I read Trigger Warnings a couple months ago, and aside from 2 or 3 stories I didn't like it at all. Enjoyed American Gods a lot though.

5. Dog with a Blog

Anybody read Hyperion? It was gifted to me and also a suggested read after I finished The Dark Tower series.

6. Vivatoto

Royal Court of Princess Donut Prestigious

Yeah, it's really good. I'm reading the third book at the moment. Imo the next two are much better than the first one. The first one is sort of set up like an anthology while the other books are a more straight forward adventure. Dan Simmons is great.

Bloodsucker II likes this.
  7. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

Just finished it. It's like a sci-fi Canterbury Tales and it's pretty great

AelNire and Bloodsucker II like this.
  8. inwaves

the ships have all sailed to the sea

Just started A Drink Before the War. Been wanting to try out Lehane for quite some time.

HalfHearted and AelNire like this.
  9. Dog with a Blog

Thanks y'all. I'm excited to read it.

10. Kellan

@kellanthomas Prestigious

Has anyone read 1Q84? The plot is finally starting to come together and I can't put it down. But even before that I had no interest in stopping even though I didn't really know what was going on. I'm definitely going to check out Murakami's other novels after this.

11. marsupial jones

make a bagel without the hole

Ironically enough I'm 400 pages into this. I've read literally everything else Murakami has done and I'm finding this... subpar. It's interesting and a slow burn and definitely his longest book by far (most are around 300 pages) which has always made me curious how he'd handle it and expand such a universe but regardless of author I'm never a big fan of constant back and forth character chapters.

12. AelNire

@RiotGrlErin Supporter

I'd give it a 4/5. I know everyone has prob seen the movie but I couldn't put Shitter (lol Shutter) Island down.

13. HalfHearted

Regular

Just finished his Coughlin series and it was fantastic. Shutter Island, Mystic River and The Drop are also very good reads by him. Besides King, he is probably my favorite author at the moment.

inwaves likes this.
  14. HalfHearted

Regular

Shutter Island is such a good book.

AelNire likes this.
  15. konop88

I am not what I seem

the story of my life. I intentionally stop myself now from buying any more books, because I can't start reading all of those I have already bought.

Last week I made myself open the Goldfinch and it's really going very good. I was intimidated by its volume but so far I've been enjoying it immensely

ChaseTx likes this.
  16. Garrett

I made it a goal of mine to finish every book I own by the end of the year. I've got 36 remaining, so ha ha, probably not going to happen.

coleslawed and Colby Searcy like this.
  17. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

I made that same goal haha. At this point I'll be satisfied with a dozen. I think I'm at five now, almost done with six.

18. AelNire

@RiotGrlErin Supporter

I read it before the movie and I'm usually disappointed with the movie version but it was dead on. So was Gone Girl if you haven't read or seen that.

coleslawed likes this.
  19. ChaseTx

Big hat enthusiast Prestigious

I have a friend who reads constantly and can finish a book in a day. I don't get it, if I read for hours I get through like 30 pages

Colby Searcy and AelNire like this.
  20. Garrett

I've read seventeen books in the last 30 days, so if I keep this book bender up, it may not be an issue. The main problem is quite a few of the ones I have remaining are 600+ pages.

AelNire and CarpetElf like this.
  21. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

God damn, man. That's intense haha. I am not that fast of reader.

AelNire likes this.
  22. Garrett

My best advice to become a "read a book in a day person" is to have no electronics near you when you're reading. Reading is a skill that's easily enhanced speedwise via practice. At one point, I was reading 1000 page novels in ~15 hours or so. I'm not quite at that speed anymore, but yeah. Distractions kill books more than anything.

ChaseTx, AelNire and CarpetElf like this.
  23. Garrett

I listen to audiobooks while working out, so that's usually 1-2 a week. If I get home from the gym and a really intense audiobook portion is happening, I end up listening for hours while doing menial cleaning or yard work.

I think it also helps that barring GoT, all of my shows currently aren't airing so I read for a bit in the evenings.

AelNire and CarpetElf like this.
  24. AelNire

@RiotGrlErin Supporter

If the book is good, I can finish 3-400 pages in a day. I read in almost all my free time at work and during lunch but then this King novel is over 600 and LOTR is 1100 so that will take me longer. Especially LOTR since it's more difficult to read.

Colby Searcy likes this.
  25. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

Oh okay, that's cool haha. You just dedicate yourself far more than I do, which is bad for me because I absolutely should be reading more than I am. Can't write if you don't read haha.

AelNire likes this.