Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Book Thread Book • Page 142

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Melody Bot, Mar 13, 2015.

1. Kellan

@kellanthomas Prestigious

Conversations with Friends by Sally Rooney killed me. Can’t wait to be destroyed by Normal People next.

2. GBlades

Trusted

I actually recently read Normal People (first SR book) and enjoyed it but those lack of quotation marks take some getting used to!

3. jpmalone4

Stay Lucky Supporter

Finished CRZ’s Shadow of the Wind, such a fun goth noir horror adventure. Makes me really want to visit Barcelona and follow that little map in the back of the book.

Garrett likes this.
  4. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

This is my second favorite book of all time. I went to Barcelona because of the book, and have gone back three more times since and took a walking tour themed around the book.

The Angel’s Game and the Labyrinth of the Spirits are also excellent. Prisoner of Heaven isn’t quite to the level of the other three.

jpmalone4 likes this.
  5. jpmalone4

Stay Lucky Supporter

Wow that’s awesome. It’s definitely something I’m putting on my bucket list!

Side bar comment - idk if there is a movie version already but I feel like Guillermo Del Toro would be the perfect director for it

6. Garrett

I’ve always wanted it to be an HBO Miniseries so that it could move with care. I think I read once that CRZ specifically wrote into his contracts that the books couldn’t be made into a visual media.

7. Garrett

The eBook of this is free for the next five days to celebrate the fact I've recouped all my costs/get more copies out there to people. Sorry to spam this a few places here, but hey, you don't put out books every day.

8. GBlades

Trusted

That's a great sentiment and thank you! Already got it so plan to read it soon!

Garrett likes this.
  9. Garrett

Thank you!

GBlades likes this.
  10. OotyPa

fall away

It's Memorial Day weekend, which is when my recent novelette takes place! Want a beach read that's short but not too short? Here's "The Bridge" (published by Sterling Clack Clack), in full at the link below. CW: (unidentified) eating disorder, some war imagery

The Bridge by Jonathan Koven

To me, this story is about time, American identity and imperialism, nostalgia vs. remembrance, and the universal desire to connect—whether it's across hemispheres, or decades into the past, or from one sibling to another, or to another species altogether.

If you end up reading it, I hope you enjoy it!

Garrett and angrycandy like this.
  11. wisdomfordebris

Moderator Moderator

The Glass Hotel was magnificent. I think it's my favorite of the three books of hers that I've read, but Sea of Tranquility is a very close second.

12. wisdomfordebris

Moderator Moderator

Clown in a Cornfield 2 is wild, haha. What a fun ride and a great sequel.

Donnie Ruth and Colby Searcy like this.
  13. Colby Searcy

Is admired for his impeccable (food) tastes Prestigious

Oooh is it out now???!

14. Donnie Ruth

Trusted Supporter

So freakin jealous you already read it haha, it’s a late August release right?

Colby Searcy and wisdomfordebris like this.
  15. wisdomfordebris

Moderator Moderator

I thought it comes out in July but I could be wrong. I got an advance copy through Netgalley.

Colby Searcy likes this.
  16. Colby Searcy

Trying my hand at getting a copy, my % isn't great so probably not but it's worth a shot

wisdomfordebris likes this.
  17. Colby Searcy

August 22

wisdomfordebris and Donnie Ruth like this.
  18. Donnie Ruth

Trusted Supporter

19. Garrett

At some point the fact JP uses ghost writers has got to blow up in his face... surely this would be a good time for it to become much larger knowledge.

20. Colby Searcy

Started Good Girls Guide To Murder By Holly Jackson today. Definitely a Serial S1 vibe to it.

@Jason Tate you've read these right?

Jason Tate likes this.
  21. I have!

Colby Searcy likes this.
  22. Colby Searcy

Jason Tate likes this.
  23. wisdomfordebris

Moderator Moderator

I read The Deloriad by Missouri Williams, which is about an encampment full of children of incest whose mom and her brother taks it upon themselves to repopulate the earth after surviving an apocalyptic event. It was dark and disturbing, and very ugly. Missouri Williams can write, but her prose ultimately held me back from loving it. It’s DENSE and heady and full of symbols and references that went over my head, and it doesn’t stray from its lengthy, overly descriptive sentences. I am definitely glad I read it and maybe if I had been in a different headspace I would’ve loved it, but I am excited to start something else.

I’m trying to decide between Earthlings and The Power. Kind of leaning toward the former.

24. Colby Searcy

Finished just now. Gotta say something about it made it very compulsive and hard to put down at times. Although the story isn't anything we haven't seen before I Really love the main character. Interested in the next books for sure.

What did you think?

25. angrycandy

I’m drama in these khaki towns Supporter

picked up Meditations by Marcus Aurelius and The World Doesn't End by Charles Simic recently

excited to dive into both

theagentcoma and Colby Searcy like this.