Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Book Thread Book • Page 123

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Melody Bot, Mar 13, 2015.

1. jpmalone4

Stay Lucky Supporter

About halfway through Ishiguro's new book, Klara and the Sun, really enjoying so far. It's a pretty good synthesis of all his prior work I feel like

2. just read my first Ishiguro (A Pale View of Hills) a few weeks ago and really liked it! might pick this up at some point

jpmalone4 likes this.
  3. Donnie Ruth

Trusted Supporter

Halfway through Clown in the Cornfield and I love this so far! Feels like a summer slasher mixed with Scream?

Colby Searcy and Vivatoto like this.
  4. Donnie Ruth

Trusted Supporter

Maybe more like the Purge? lol

Just finished: this was fun as hell and reminded me of a perfect summer slasher movie. I needed something easy and this hit the spot!

5. Philll

Trusted

Only took me 4 months, but I just finished Ducks, Newburyport. Whew, I loved it.

6. [removed]

Trusted Prestigious

Wow. Shipping from Folio Society is bat shit. 32 dollars for one book. That’s half the price of the book!

7. Vivatoto

Royal Court of Princess Donut Prestigious

Hooray for a new You book! Caroline Kepnes is awesome. Want another book like Providence from her but I'll take some more of Joe, why not?

Colby Searcy likes this.
  8. Colby Searcy

Is admired for his impeccable (food) tastes Prestigious

These gave been on my list for years. You would recommend?

9. Vivatoto

Definitely. Love getting a female author's takedown of the "good guy" myth.

Colby Searcy likes this.
  10. theagentcoma

yeah good okay Prestigious

I didn't know there were books! Wife and I just started the show and it's wild.

Colby Searcy likes this.
  11. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

Been reading a lot of poetry lately alongside the novel I’m deep into (which also is amazing—Lucky Per by Henrik Pontoppidan). Recently finished Spring and All by William Carlos Williams and now digging into some Wallace Stevens. Amazing stuff all around!

12. Is House of Leaves any good?

Also would love some book recs.

I enjoy

The Expanse
    LOTR
    Three Body Problem
    The James Bond novels
    Cormac Mccarthy books
    Dune

Would love a new fantasy series or sci fi series

13. Night Channels

Trusted

the Red Rising trilogy

Leftandleaving, Garrett and spiffa0 like this.
  14. House of Leaves is my all time favorite book. I could rave about it for a long time.

Have you read any Neil Gaiman? Neverwhere and American Gods might fit what you're looking for.

Rowan5215 and spiffa0 like this.
  15. Vivatoto

Yes it's one of a kind.

Check out the Gap Cycle by Stephen R Donaldson. Hard Sci Fi with strong characters. Has some stuff that's tough to get through in the early books but by the end it becomes one of the most epic series I've ever read.

Also Dan Simmons Hyperion Cantos...And If you've read both the Illiad and The Odyssey his Illium/Olympos series is the absolute best.

spiffa0 likes this.
  16. theagentcoma

yeah good okay Prestigious

I never did finish House of Leaves. That book is a trip.

spiffa0 likes this.
  17. Vivatoto

Do you think I would like this? I've seen the name thrown around before.

Night Channels likes this.
  18. Thanks bought book 1

Bought house of leaves. I read american gods many years ago but I'll have to revisit.

Weirdly the gap cycle books aren't really in amazon. Will check out ebay.

19. Vivatoto

spiffa0 likes this.
  20. Vivatoto

Nice! Let me know what you think! The first book is way different than the rest of the series, it sets up the central characters but not the conflict, so hang in there to at least the second book if you don't love it.

21. Donnie Ruth

Trusted Supporter

I’ve had House of Leaves on my booklist for a while, just haven’t gone out and got it yet. Glad to hear the good commentary!

22. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

Yeah. The first trilogy (it’s a five book saga now but it started as a trilogy) is pretty fantastic. In the same level of voice/sci-fi as Skyward.

Night Channels and Vivatoto like this.
  23. Vivatoto

I need a sci fi series so I might just start it after the Neal Stephenson monster I ordered (Cryptonomicon)

24. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

I really want to read that one. I got it for my best friend who is a big military fiction buff. I just recently read reamde