Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Book Thread Book • Page 122

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Melody Bot, Mar 13, 2015.

1. angrycandy

I’m drama in these khaki towns Supporter

anyone here familiar with the work of Clarice Lispector? I'm thinking of picking up a few different books of hers but not sure what the best introduction to her style might be. also trying to broaden my scope of contemporary writers so I think I'm going to buy a Colum McCann book, too. maybe Let the Great World Spin

jordalsh likes this.
  2. Let the Great World Spin is fantastic. I read that in AP Lit my senior year and still remember it (for reference, I now teach AP Lit). It felt like an American--more specifically New Yorker--of Dubliners.

angrycandy likes this.
  3. angrycandy

very nice. I love Dubliners

4. Leftandleaving

I will be okay. everything Supporter

speaking of Dubliners, I'm about halfway through ulysses rn

jordalsh and angrycandy like this.
  5. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

I absolutely adore her. Near to the Wild Heart is probably a good introduction. A masterpiece. Though my first read from her was Agua Viva, which in retrospect probably isn't the easiest place to start but is excellent. I've heard Hour of the Star is also more accessible for her, but I haven't checked it out yet. All her work is just impeccable. Enjoy, trying out Lispector for the first time was revelatory for me.

angrycandy likes this.
  6. angrycandy

Hour of the Star and Agua Viva were the two I was going to start with actually. thanks

7. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

Let us know what you think of Hour of the Star, heard great things. I definitely want to read all of her work, but you'll see, she's so original to herself and thought-provoking that you'll have to let each of her works really marinate.

I just picked up (and finished in one day!) Hilda Hilst's The Obscene Madame D. Only like 50 pages or so. She's Lispector's contemporary and it felt very reminiscent of her. I recommend you check that out too.

angrycandy likes this.
  8. love both of these to death

angrycandy likes this.
  9. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

Reading The Passion According to G.H. last year was basically akin to undergoing a shamanic experience.

10. Fletchaaa

Trusted Supporter

Just read Later by Stephen King, pretty good short book I read it over 3 days. I didn't even realize he had a new one coming out and apparently another one this year too!

ragnarokstar and Vivatoto like this.
  11. Leftandleaving

12. Leftandleaving

13. Donnie Ruth

Trusted Supporter

I am 200 pages into Let Me In by John Ajvide Lindqvist and it’s honestly great if you’re into vampire horror. I’ve been on a vampire kick ever since reading Salem’s Lot years back and def enjoying this one so far!

Colby Searcy likes this.
  14. angrycandy

so I got all of the books I was talking about a few weeks ago for my birthday. also picked up A Cosmology of Monsters yesterday

15. Night Channels

Trusted

Have you seen Let the Right One In?

16. Donnie Ruth

Trusted Supporter

Nope so that’s why I am glad to read the book first! I’ll watch it after I finish the book. How is the movie?

Night Channels and Colby Searcy like this.
  17. inspectorkemp Mar 31, 2021
    (Last edited: Mar 31, 2021)
    inspectorkemp

a literal succubitch

Most of what I read is nonfiction but outside of that realm I have to plug Seven Blades In Black by Sam Sykes as one of the most engaging fictional books I've read in ages. Lots of people are turned off by how much the protagonist swears but I love it.

tvck likes this.
  18. Night Channels

Trusted

It's fantastic. It'll be a great watch after you finish the book. Watch the original.

Donnie Ruth and Vivatoto like this.
  19. Vivatoto

Royal Court of Princess Donut Prestigious

Lucky. The movie is great. I sadly saw both of them before I read the book.

Donnie Ruth likes this.
  20. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

Another glowing review of my chapbook just dropped :) feeling very honored and proud.

Review of Jonathan Koven's Palm Lines — Mad Poets Society

There are some signed copies I have lying around if anyone's interested in buying one. Just let me know and I'll autograph with a personal note to you!

Leftandleaving and Colby Searcy like this.
  21. Silentjury

Regular

Nothing more satisfying than discovering a new favorite author and going back into their earlier works. Thoroughly enjoyed "The Fighter" by Michael Farris Smith and discovered he has quite a few other books. I just started "Desperation Road" and is in my lane of southern gothic. Strangely enough, he just came out with a prequel to "The Great Gatsby" which I don't have much interest in as I am not a fan of the book but there may be some of you who may have interest. It focuses in on Nick's life before the events of Gatsby.

22. Donnie Ruth

Trusted Supporter

Got a bunch of books on my shelf ready for warm weather:

- Mother May I - Joshilyn Jackson
    - The Last House on Needless Street - Catriona Ward
    - Devil’s Creek - Todd Keisling
    - Devolution - Max Brooks
    - The Jigsaw Man - Nadine Matheson
    - The Push - Ashley Audrain

Vivatoto and Colby Searcy like this.
  23. Vivatoto

Royal Court of Princess Donut Prestigious

Are all of these horror because the only one I recognize is Devolution and I'm on the look out for horror after going through Stephen Graham Jones back catalog.

24. Colby Searcy

Is admired for his impeccable (food) tastes Prestigious

Definitely intrigued by Jigsaw Man

Donnie Ruth likes this.
  25. Donnie Ruth

Trusted Supporter

Honestly ... not totally sure lol. I get a lot of emails from Goodreads and they sent me an email with “60 of newest and hottest mysteries & thrillers.” I pretty much read the synopsis and am rolling with them! I had Devolution and Devil’s Creek on my list for a bit so those were just added in with the others.

Colby Searcy and Vivatoto like this.