Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Book Thread Book • Page 121

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Melody Bot, Mar 13, 2015.

1. Vivatoto

Royal Court of Princess Donut Prestigious

Anything from Adam Nevill or John Langan who are the best authors writing horror right now. Also Tremblay’s short story collection has one or two stories that relate directly to Head Full of Ghosts, if you want a little more of that. Something you’ll notice if you read more of Tremblay, and he’s the first to admit it, basically every story he writes has some aspect of ambiguity, so if you enjoy that in your horror you’ll love the rest of his work.

2. ghostedaway

bryan Prestigious

Thanks! I've been wanting to read The Ritual since I really dug the film. Some of Nevill's other novels sound really good too. No One Gets Out Alive could be something I really enjoy. That short story collection sounds awesome. I'm a fan of the ambiguity for sure

3. Vivatoto

No One Gets Out Alive is phenomenal, it’s my sister’s all time favorite book. And there’s a movie coming out for it so it would be a good time to read it! The Ritual would also be a great read even if you’ve seen the movie because the entire back half is different. Last Days is my favorite of his, but I would maybe read the others first because I feel like that’s something you should build up to.

ghostedaway likes this.
  4. GBlades

Trusted

I'm always looking for a really good horror book but can never see something where the story interests me. Maybe it's the descriptions don't live up to it or i'm just picky with my horror but i really need to resolve that because there's some damn good horror out there that i need to get into but no idea where to start.

ghostedaway and OotyPa like this.
  5. ghostedaway

bryan Prestigious

Oh a movie? Better get on it then for sure lol. Sounds good, I'll start with No One Gets Out Alive first

6. ghostedaway

bryan Prestigious

Where do you guys order your books online? Wondering if i'm missing out on a site with good deals

7. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

I try to support local shops, so I use Bookshop.

ghostedaway likes this.
  8. danielm123

Trusted

I get a lot of my books from Thriftbooks. Can get a lot of used books for like $5-$10 and if you spend a certain amount you get a free cheap used book. I don't really have many local bookstores so it's a good alternative

ghostedaway likes this.
  9. ghostedaway

bryan Prestigious

Thank you both!

10. Donnie Ruth

Trusted Supporter

Reading Rosemary's Baby! I never actually saw the movie so I figured this was a good opportunity to read an older classic without knowing fully what happens.

11. angrycandy

I’m drama in these khaki towns Supporter

spoiler alert:

Rosemary has a baby and everything turns out just fine

Donnie Ruth likes this.
  12. drewinseries

Drew

Anyone read The Searcher by Tana French? I'm like 60 pages in and pretty bored. Idk if I want to keep at it.

13. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

The first official review of my chapbook has dropped!

REVIEWS & CONVERSATIONS: PALM LINES – JONATHAN KOVEN (TOHO PUBLISHING)

Very happy with how this turned out.

If anyone wants an autographed copy, I have about 9 left... They're also the last of the last color prints before indefinitely switching over to b&w illustrations. Hit me up if you're interested!

14. angrycandy

I’m drama in these khaki towns Supporter

congrats! that's awesome. btw just added you on fb

OotyPa likes this.
  15. Donnie Ruth

Trusted Supporter

Loved Rosemary’s Baby. Was such a simple, easy read.

Now going to dive into Joe Hill and am beginning with N0S4A2!

Colby Searcy and Night Channels like this.
  16. stayillogical

Kayak, deed, rotator, noon, racecar, Woo Young-woo Prestigious

Just finished Red Rising which was like Hunger Games but full on war between teens on Mars. It was really entertaining. I could see them adapting this one some day.

17. Leftandleaving

I will be okay. everything Supporter

started cosmopolis today, my first DeLillo. it's very different than I expected so far, but it's alright

Philll likes this.
  18. Silentjury

Regular

Finishing up The Andromeda Strain by Michael Crichton - it gets a little dry with some of the scientific jargon but an interesting premise. I needed a quick read after completing some heavy material.

Books on deck: Good Omens by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett, Small Gods by Terry Pratchett (first dig into Discworld!), The Only Good Indians, and Tropic of Stupid by Tim Dorsey.

Night Channels likes this.
  19. Read six books already this year, which is a lot for me. Granted four of them were star wars but still lol.

aoftbsten and theagentcoma like this.
  20. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

Anyone ever read Hilda Hilst? Reading The Obscene Madame D and it’s blowing my mind in the same way Lispector did the first time I read her. Holy shit, this is brilliant and beautiful.

21. tvck

Trusted

So The Institute was my intro to Stephen King outside of movies/tv shows, and I'm currently reading The Outsider. I'm assuming The Outsider is more in line with his usual work? It has some brutal imagery.

Vivatoto likes this.
  22. Vivatoto

A little bit, but The Outsider falls more into the category he's been in since he started The Bill Hodges trilogy, which is dark crime with a horror twist. The Outsider sort of married the two worlds. But his older, more known work is more focused on horror

Too late now but it would have been best to have read the Bill Hodges trilogy first, ha. But you'll be fine.

23. tvck

Trusted

Cool, thanks! I'm only half way but man that court house scene was gnarly. Will definitely need to watch the show after I finish the book.

Vivatoto likes this.
  24. Vivatoto

Oh man that courthouse scene was incredible. Blew me away when I read it. The show does a tremendous job.

25. Leftandleaving

I will be okay. everything Supporter

hes better with not-horror than he is with horror imo