Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Book Thread Book • Page 119

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Melody Bot, Mar 13, 2015.

1. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

The House in Smyrna felt all over the place. I enjoyed the exploration of Jewish intergenerational trauma but the multiple plot lines were not weaved together well by the end, and there were so many jarring tonal shifts between her dying mother, her sexually toxic ex-relationship, her grandparents’ immigration story, and her imaginary trip to their homeland that I lost interest in the final few pages. It did feel like the author wrote it in a flurry of catharsis, which is cool, but overall a bit disappointing.

Picked up Robert Walser’s The Tanners. From the first few pages, I think it’ll be great.

2. Leftandleaving

I will be okay. everything Supporter

Trying to read more this year. Read a bit of tales from earth sea the other night and I think the first novel I’m tackling in 2021 will be ducks newburyport

Philll likes this.
  3. Just finished Neon in Daylight, my first book of the year. I became interested in this because I saw Geoff Rickly interacting with the author on twitter lol. I wasn't so sure about this one at first, but it picked up after about 75 pages. None of the central characters are very likable, especially the main character, and I think the main plot of this one is kind of ehhh for me (main character in relationship with older male writer and friendship with his younger daughter and only the main character is aware), but I did end up really liking the prose and the way Hoby describes things. Every line is stuffed with very vivid language, it's almost too much and it doesn't always land, but when it does, it really hits. it won me over by the end. will probably pick up Hoby's new book this year.

4. Anyone else read Leave the World Behind? It takes some crazy, genre-bending turns in the second half that I loved.

5. for my newsletter today I went through the first 20 books on my reading list from last year and did quick little reviews of each of them if ur interested/collecting your 2021 list: #2: Last Year's Books, pt. 1

Philll, angrycandy and mesi like this.
  6. angrycandy

I’m drama in these khaki towns Supporter

nice list

had no idea you worked for Slant. very cool

Colby Searcy and jordalsh like this.
  7. I feel like we have a lot of DeLillo fans in here:

Philll and angrycandy like this.
  8. angrycandy

hmmm...

9. :chin::eyeglass:

10. angrycandy

I'm honestly a bit surprised it took this long for someone to adapt White Noise into a movie. he's a very capable filmmaker tho so I'm hoping for the best

11. I feel like I'm not supposed to like Marriage Story but I just watched it again and...I really do :shrug2: I'm very interested to see how this adapts. have any of his other books been made into a movie?

12. angrycandy

Cosmopolis is the only one I'm aware of

13. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

? why wouldn’t you be supposed to like it lol

14. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

i can’t wait for this, man. book rules.

Grapevine_Twine and jordalsh like this.
  15. Philll

Trusted

Hell yeah, loved White Noise when I read it a couple of years ago, my favourite of the DeLillo's I've read. Wouldn't have imagined Driver in that role but I'm here for it.

jordalsh likes this.
  16. I feel like the general vibe on my twitter feed is pretty mean to it but take that for what you will lol

I also love Frances Ha and The Meyerowitz Stories (but really, really didn't like While We're Young) so I'm mostly in Baumbach's corner

17. Never read any DeLillo but I'm excited for anything with Baumbach and Driver.

18. Philll

Trusted

Do yourself a favour. White Noise is a great place to start.

19. Grapevine_Twine

It's a Chunky! Supporter

Extremely excited for a White Noise movie. Might have to reread it this year

Falling Man is my favorite Delillo book though.

20. angrycandy

I wouldn't even know where to begin picking a favorite of his tbh

still need to read Falling Man and a few others

21. haven't read Falling Man, will have to check that out

22. angrycandy

well, y'all finally convinced me. just bought a copy of Ducks, Newburyport. very excited

Colby Searcy, Philll and jordalsh like this.
  23. Grapevine_Twine

It's a Chunky! Supporter

I don't think the critics loved Falling Man, I'm just really interested in post-9/11 literature so it appealed to me.

24. Grapevine_Twine

It's a Chunky! Supporter

About 200 pages into A People's History of the United States and enjoying it so far. I really wish I could focus better when reading history though.

Also just picked up the new George Saunders book from my local bookstore. So pumped

a_cuppa_joe and danielm123 like this.
  25. I definitely will soon. I actually have copies of Underworld and Cosmopolis that I've picked up from yard sales over the years but I'll probably grab that one too.

Philll likes this.