Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Book Thread Book • Page 114

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Melody Bot, Mar 13, 2015.

1. GBlades

Trusted

Now I cannot unsee!

Garrett likes this.
  2. Philll

Trusted

How else do you keep them fresh?

Colby Searcy and Garrett like this.
  3. tvck

Trusted

Gotta keep them pages CRISP

Colby Searcy, Garrett and Philll like this.
  4. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

Lispector’s The Passion According to G.H. is one of the most bizarre and enlightening literary experiences I’ve ever had the privilege to enjoy. Just finished it and my brain has completely melted (into white paste ;-))

5. The Lucky Moose

I'm Emotional, I Hug the Block Prestigious

I’ve started reading this giant tome that allegedly encompasses all of Ephraim Kishon’s satirical short stories

6. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

Hi friends, so I wrote a poetry collection that's out soon. It's called Palm Lines and releases this November. I would truly appreciate if some of you supported ya boi and purchased a copy. Here's the preorder page, and I'll also include some info about the book below...

Philll, Colby Searcy and danielm123 like this.
  7. DickyCullz

I create content for some of your favorite artists

I got a load of amazon credit for my birthday last month so decided to spend it all on real books instead of my kindle cause fuck it?

so far I purchased

Tana French - The Witch Elm
    John Langan - The Fisherman
    Stephen King - The Colorado Kid
    Michael McDowell - The Elementals
    Robert Graysmith - Zodiac The Shocking True Story

whole load more I'm thinking of picking up, but thought I'd cap it here for now. Still plowing my way through lonesome dove so likely to get to these in 2022

Deanna, Philll and Colby Searcy like this.
  8. eagles1139

Regular

Finally mustered up the courage to read Moby Dick....I’m almost 300 pages in and absolutely love it. The language is just jaw-droppingly great, but what surprised me most is how funny and inventive the book is. When you hear about how there are so many long tangents about the whale biology and whaling industry, you think it sounds boring as hell but those chapters are some of the most hilarious and batshit parts of the book so far.

9. I’ve had a copy on my shelf for a while, one day I really want to dive in. seems like a good winter read

10. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

I gave Moby Dick a shot one night but quickly found myself overwhelmed by the length and switched to a different book. One day lol!

Recently finished my first Yukio Mishima (The Sound of Waves). I enjoyed it but never fell in love. I definitely want to read more of him eventually tho—his prose is spellbindingly gorgeous.

As for my next read, trying out The Gangster We Are All Looking For by lê thi diem thúy.

11. tvck

Trusted

Currently reading Ring Shout after just reading Lovecraft Country. Wild books but great reads. Highly recommend

12. Mattww

Regular

Just read the house in the cerulean sea by TJ Klune. Any one else read it? I laughed out loud on several occasions and shed a tear as well. A truest heart-warning but not in a cheesy way novel with a point to make about orphanages/what you call home and how people treat anything they seem to be different to themselves. Really highly recommended

13. jpmalone4

Stay Lucky Supporter

Glad you're enjoying it - one of my all time favorite books and you're spot on, it's a lot funnier than people expect or think it'll be. There's an interview with Springsteen where he says it's like a really exciting boy's adventure story, and that's pretty much it in a nutshell

14. eagles1139

Regular

Right I actually remember that By the Book interview with Springsteen, was one of the first things that got me thinking I’d give it a shot.

The inventiveness is what has been most delightful so far. Like even though Ishmael’s the “narrator”, you’ll just have one chapter that’s a Ahab monologue, then a Starbuck monologue, then a chapter structured like a stage play. And my reaction to the cetology tangents has been much less “ugh, here we go again” than “lol here goes Ishmael again let’s see what weird shit he’s gonna try to convince me about whales now.”

I mean in the Cetology chapter that everyone sites as a breaking point, he spends the first half talking mad shit about how we should cancel the Greenland Whale. “I deny their credentials as whales; and have presented them with their passports to quit the Kingdom of Cetology.” Insane book.

jordalsh, jpmalone4 and a_cuppa_joe like this.
  15. GBlades

Trusted

Echoing the TJ Klune novel. I might go and read it again now!

Mattww likes this.
  16. Leftandleaving

I will be okay. everything Supporter

Just finished signs preceding the end of the world. Super quick read, took maybe 90 minutes. Really interesting book although I’m not sure I would say I liked it per se

17. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

Finished The Gangster We Are All Looking For by Lê Thi Diem Thúy this weekend. If you dug Ocean Vuong’s On Earth We’re Briefly Gorgeous, this shit is v much up your alley. A gorgeous, heartbreaking, and inspiring portrait of a Vietnamese family finding their place in America. Really short, and very beautifully written from the shared perspective of a little girl and her older self.

Started Anne Carson’s Autobiography of Red and my mind is already blown. I did not expect to love this genre blend so much.

18. The Lucky Moose

I'm Emotional, I Hug the Block Prestigious

I’m reading The Choice by Dr. Edith Eva Eger, a Holocaust survivor. It’s both a memoir and a self help book. It’s tremendous.

19. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

Finished Anne Carson’s Autobiography of Red. I enjoyed it but feel like I never became emotionally invested. Want to reread it someday. Also interested in picking up her other works, that novel-in-verse structure was sick and it seems like she plays with form a lot.

Also, started and already a third of the way through Carson McCuller’s The Member of the Wedding. Absolutely loving it so far.

20. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

Finished Carson McCuller’s The Member of the Wedding. A short, gorgeous Southern-gothic coming-of-age. Sad, moving, quick read.

Started James Baldwin’s Another Country last night, my first I’ve read from him. Only about 40 pages in and my god his prose is flawless. I can already tell I’m going to adore this.

jordalsh likes this.
  21. I read Giovanni's Room last year and loved it so much. I read The Fire Next Time and One Day When I Was Lost recently but I definitely want to pick up one of his novels again soon

OotyPa likes this.
  22. Fletchaaa

Trusted Supporter

Anyone read the Bird Box sequel? I really enjoyed the first one but everything else I've read by Josh Malerman has not been good in my opinion so I've kind of written him off.

23. Vivatoto

Royal Court of Princess Donut Prestigious

Well I like all of Malerman’s work expect Inspection so I might not be the best person to give you an answer, but it’s really good

Fletchaaa likes this.
  24. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

Will add these to the list!

25. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

Hi friends. The date is fast approaching when my poetry collection releases. Super hyped. Here’s a lil teaser I made with my friend to give yall a sense of the vibe. Preorder/share around if interested! Need all the support i can get...