Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Book Thread Book • Page 113

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Melody Bot, Mar 13, 2015.

1. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

Exaggerating. I like a fair amount of YA books. Robert Cormier, David Levithan, and SE Hinton all rule. I could think of a few others. I would probably like Ursula K LeGuin but haven’t read much yet. One day tho. It’s just not my preferred genre.

Leftandleaving likes this.
  2. Leftandleaving

I will be okay. everything Supporter

I don't mean for my friend - I already made him a lot that I can share in here if people are curious haha - I just meant in general. does anyone have a go-to book that they think could turn anyone into a reader

3. Pseudo!

Regular

I think it's hard to give a generalized list of literature without knowing the perspective reader's taste in entertainment.

When I was a kid I thought I disliked reading because I was always recommended young adult series like Harry Potter that never clicked with me for whatever reason, or forced to read classics that were made to feel like homework because they were literally made homework, and it wasn't until an older family friend asked for my taste in movies and TV that I was recommended literature that I ended up loving.

The authors that ended up igniting my love of reading included Haruki Murakami, Gabriel Garcia Marquez, Marcel Proust, Franz Kafka, Kurt Vonnegut, and Han Kang.

But I recently recommended Jim Thompson and Elmore Leonard to a friend who wanted to start reading, and it was completely based on their established taste in entertainment.

I guess if I was to meet an alien and they asked for an example of human literature for their records I would give them every volume of In Search of Lost Time, but it's an interesting question. I'm not sure there exists an ideal introductory novel without taking into consideration a potential reader's individual taste.

Colby Searcy likes this.
  4. The Lucky Moose

I'm Emotional, I Hug the Block Prestigious

The problem with the YA adult tag is that it has become a catch-all for female fantasy writers even when it doesn't apply

Leftandleaving likes this.
  5. jpmalone4

Stay Lucky Supporter

I think David Sedaris for me was the spark that got me to keep reading after school. Specifically When You Are Engulfed in Flames. It's an easy, light book, but also very funny, a little sad, and there's a lot under the surface to ponder on your own about.

John Lopiano likes this.
  6. John Lopiano

aka Broken Parachute Moderator

This is the exact same with me. Sedaris and Michael Crichton were the two authors that kinda got me back into the swing of things. From there I branched out a bit but someone at the other forum recommended When You Are Engulfed in Flames to me and it really hit me.

jpmalone4 likes this.
  7. John Lopiano

I just purchased I’m Thinking of Ending Things after watching the film. Has anyone read the book? I’ve heard the film version is a little different.

8. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

Finished Irving’s The Cider House Rules last night, and well, it rules.

9. jpmalone4

Stay Lucky Supporter

Right now I'm reading TH White's The Once and Future King and I'm loving it. Weird thing to say but it's like if Wes Anderson wrote/directed a King Arthur story. At least that's what it feels like to me lol

10. Colby Searcy

Is admired for his impeccable (food) tastes Prestigious

@Donnie Ruth just finished Riley Sager's new book. Gotta say I liked it, definitely his best!

Donnie Ruth likes this.
  11. Donnie Ruth

Trusted Supporter

This is awesome to hear!

I’m so upset with myself on how much lack of reading I’ve done in the last 2 months. Ever since I got a cat and work picked up I’ve been moving slow. I very much look forward to getting around to that new one!!

Colby Searcy likes this.
  12. tvck

Trusted

Started Lovecraft Country this week. Looking forward to it. Want read before I watch the show.

13. GBlades

Trusted

I just finished Wanderers also and that was just a rollercoaster! So many twists and turns and that ending!! Did not expect that at all.

tvck and Donnie Ruth like this.
  14. tvck

Trusted

Glad you enjoyed! One of my favorites I’ve read this year

15. John Lopiano

RIYL?

16. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

Currently reading Nella Larsen's Passing. It's great so far. I could probably finish it in another sitting. Trying to knock out some short ones I haven't read yet before digging into something massive again.

17. tvck

Trusted

Not sure book equivalents as I've admittedly not read enough to provide that, though Recursion from Blake Crouch has some similar themes, but RIYL without giving too much away:
    1. Pandemics with believable science
    2. Government conspiracies
    3. Great character development (book has multiple POVs)

Wanderers by Chuck Wendig for synopsis and maybe some helpful RIYL suggestions.

John Lopiano likes this.
  18. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

The Stand is a too obvious Wanderers RIYL. But if you haven’t read The Stand yet, do that first.

Donnie Ruth likes this.
  19. Donnie Ruth

Trusted Supporter

Yep I almost wrote the Stand earlier but didn’t wanna be too obvious lol

20. John Lopiano

Awesome. I added it to my list. Thanks!

21. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

Finished Nella Larsen’s Passing in a day, just as I thought I would. Great and haunting stuff. Think I’ll read Clarice Lispector’s The Passion According to G.H. next.

22. wisdomfordebris

Moderator Moderator

Finished Susanna Clarke's new book, Piranesi. In just about every way, it's a smaller book than Jonathan Strange, but I really enjoyed it and I can already tell some of its imagery is going to stick with me for a while.

After researching scary books, I decided to start The Croning last night. Right off the bat, there's some unfortunate misogynistic language which I'm hoping starts and ends with the introductory character, but that said, it's...pretty damn terrifying already.

23. Philll

Trusted

IMG-20200929-WA0002.jpeg

New book haul from my birthday.

Colby Searcy and GBlades like this.
  24. GBlades

Trusted

Do like a good Vonnegut read! It took me longer than I care to admit to realise those books are not suspending in thin air.

Colby Searcy and Philll like this.
  25. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

If it makes you feel any better, I thought they were in a refrigerator at first.

Colby Searcy and GBlades like this.