Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Book Thread Book • Page 110

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Melody Bot, Mar 13, 2015.

1. Kellan

@kellanthomas Prestigious

oooh thanks for the heads up! Ordering that as well. Little Star is also probably my favorite, it’s very disturbing. Followed closely by Handling the Undead for me.

2. Vivatoto

Royal Court of Princess Donut Prestigious

Yeah Little Star is a masterpiece, I Am Behind You is the perfect follow up.

3. chewbacca110

He wrenches on it. He thinks it's his.

This is the last book I read! I agree with the horror LOST title.

Vivatoto likes this.
  4. Night Channels

Trusted

Sorry for the late response...

We're in the process of moving into our new house, so my mind has been all over the place. I started it and the opening was pretty chilling, but I haven't picked it back up since. I plan on starting it over this weekend and hopefully finishing it.

Once I'm finished with The Only Good Indians, I'm going to order The Bright Lands.

Vivatoto likes this.
  5. Vivatoto

Royal Court of Princess Donut Prestigious

No problem. It's a truly original story, really screws with horror conventions while also wallowing in the them. There's something in particular POV related that I want your opinion on but you're probably not there yet. It's just such an original story, I'd like to hear your thoughts, ha

Hmmm, I haven't heard of the Bright Lands but football meets horror? sign me the fuck up. I'm currently reading the new Guillermo Del Toro and Chuck Hogan book, then I've got a fantasy book to read, and then I'll have to check that out.

Night Channels likes this.
  6. eagles1139

Regular

On a westerns kick right now, which I do just about every summer. Enjoying McMurtry’s “Streets of Laredo” — been putting off the other books in this series because Lonesome Dove is my favorite book of all time and impossible to compete with, but the sequel’s fantastic so far.

Next up is a reread of McCarthy’s Border Trilogy (read All the Pretty Horses and The Crossing a few years ago, haven’t read Cities of the Plain). The Crossing’s the only book that’s made me legit cry, like put the book down and bury my face in my hands and cry lol. Eager and a bit nervous to revisit it.

Philll and Night Channels like this.
  7. Mason

Regular

I really liked Horns. I didn't care much for Strange Weather but Im also not a huge short story type of reader. It was far from bad though. NOS4A2 so far though is my favorite.

Heard really great things about The Fireman but haven't had a chance to read that yet.

chewbacca110 likes this.
  8. Philll

Trusted

In what can only be described as an act of masochism, I bought Ducks, Newburyport today despite telling myself no more books until I've dented the 45 or so sat waiting to be read on my shelf. It was cheap in a charity shop, so what else was I gonna do?

Also picked up Foucault's Discipline & Punish, just to really make sure I'm miserable.

danielm123, OotyPa and jordalsh like this.
  9. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

Four chapters into The Cider House Rules and I'm loving it.

10. eagles1139

Regular

Once every 3 months some version of this is tweeted and Book Twitter explodes for the day lol

Garrett, jordalsh and phaynes12 like this.
  11. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

0 for 7. Phew.

Colby Searcy likes this.
  12. hermanthehermit

Paris, Texas Climate Accord Supporter

I bought Infinite Jest a long time ago and it's just been sitting unread on my Kindle. Is it really that bad?

13. theagentcoma

yeah good okay Prestigious

I read the first sentence of Ulysses and was like nah I'm good

Leftandleaving likes this.
  14. Philll

Trusted

I have one Hemingway. I hope that isn't considered too much.

danielm123 likes this.
  15. The Lucky Moose

I'm Emotional, I Hug the Block Prestigious

Reading Goethe is time consuming even for native German speakers, reading it in anything but German seems useless.

Anyway I have read Geothe, as has anyone that went to high school in a German speaking country or region. Based on my experience I don’t really know why it is listed.

16. I also thought that was a weird one

17. tvck

Trusted

Just finished Wanderers. Read it immediately.

18. The Lucky Moose Aug 26, 2020
    (Last edited: Aug 26, 2020)
    The Lucky Moose

Philll likes this.
  19. GBlades

Trusted

Was looking into this recently and I thought it was intriguing. Was it that good?

20. tvck

Trusted

Yes, and incredibly timely. It's pretty wild that Wendig wrote this prior to how things are shaping up in America right now amid white supremacy and the pandemic. It's a beast of a book, but I loved every page of it.

21. GBlades

Trusted

I seen that they are planning a tv series around it too so I might get on that before that starts planning.

22. tvck

Trusted

Hopefully it goes to something like HBO. I feel they do the social commentary really well, that'll definitely be needed for this to be successful.

23. marsupial jones

make a bagel without the hole

Haha I can only imagine the absurdity and people getting all hot and bothered.

late to this but:

1) not dog-eared but filled with post it notes as I read it the way it’s written and then also read it in chronological order which was actually a lot of fun

2) I think 4 or 5 Hemingway’s but only enjoyed 2 of them (out of 530ish total books)

3) 3 Bukowski (out of 530ish total books). I would have enjoyed them in middle school as being “edgy” but not much longer after that lol

4) 2 Ayn Rand. They were actually two of the first books I read when I started getting into reading in 2012/2013 because they were like 8 bucks each and six million pages long which seemed like a good deal lol. Some interesting characters but didn’t get the message or the issue the books represent

5) I don’t know if that’s a person or a book lol

6) oh god no that book sucked

7) never heard of it

so I’d be like 4/7 or 2/7 I suppose

24. marsupial jones

make a bagel without the hole

“really that bad”? I don’t know if I’ve ever really seen anyone say anything bad about it anywhere (maybe Goodreads, been awhile since I’ve been on there). Seems more like the opposite - people think it’s the holiest of holy grails of literature. Very cult-like obsession by the fans it seems.

I read it in 2015 or so and didn’t get it. It was a slog. For some reason I listened to the audiobook in 2017 or 18 and really enjoyed it more (maybe because I already knew the story, to some degree) and then I read it in chronological order (since the book isn’t written that way) and that was a fun experience for me

25. The Lucky Moose Aug 29, 2020
    (Last edited: Aug 29, 2020)
    The Lucky Moose

Goethe is like Shakespeare of the German speaking world. No idea why he was included. Makes the tweet dumb to me.

Leftandleaving likes this.