Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Book Thread Book • Page 109

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Melody Bot, Mar 13, 2015.

1. Night Channels

Trusted

My pre-order for The Only Good Indians should be here pretty soon.

Been waiting on this one for a while.

Vivatoto likes this.
  2. Philll

Trusted

It's good to hear it being spoken of so positively here, maybe one day I'll plow through and try to finish it. Just a lot of other books to tackle first!

3. Vivatoto

Royal Court of Princess Donut Prestigious

Excited for that too. Gonna read Tremblay's new one first.

Night Channels likes this.
  4. GBlades

Trusted

Totally forgot Tremblay had a new one out, will need to pick it up.

Vivatoto likes this.
  5. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

the third book came out yesterday just in time for me to be on vacation. perfect.

Colby Searcy likes this.
  6. chris

Trusted Supporter

Finished The Fisherman by John Langan this week. Really surprised/impressed with how he wrote about grief, but thought it was undercut a bit by the way the book was structured. Enjoyed it overall and finished it wanting to spend more time in that world.

Night Channels likes this.
  7. Philll

Trusted

Dear thread, can I get an Amen

8. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

Finished Sarah Rose Etter’s The Book of X. It was surreal, beautiful, devastating. My cup of tea.

Now, a few pages into Virginia Woolf’s To the Lighthouse. It’s majestically written so far, but a bit hard to follow. I’m aware it gets a bit more linear after 40 or so pages, so I’m looking forward to that.

jpmalone4 and jordalsh like this.
  9. I loved To The Lighthouse but it definitely took me longer than I expected based on how short it is. it switches perspective so seamlessly that it took a lot of re-reading. definitely worth it though

jpmalone4 likes this.
  10. Vivatoto

What did you think?

11. Philll

Trusted

Started Middlesex the other night and I'm really enjoying it so far, just about to start the second section.

Lockdown has had me catching up on books that I've had on the shelf untouched for years, and so many I'm finally getting to thinking "why tf have I been putting this one off?".

danielm123 and marsupial jones like this.
  12. Colby Searcy

Is admired for his impeccable (food) tastes Prestigious

Read the first 2 stories in If It Bleeds and not really sure what to think of The Life of Chuck

13. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

Took about 30 or so pages but I’m v much in love with Woolf’s To the Lighthouse so far. Still got a lot to go but every page is so dense and beautiful. Makes sense I’m digging it bc I also deeply love Joyce’s A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man and Lispector’s Near to the Wild Heart. I need to one day reread The Waves, was a bit tough for me first go around. If anyone ever has any recs that are similar to these, besides the obvious other books by the same authors, lemme know. I know I also need to one day pick up Faulkner.

jpmalone4 and jordalsh like this.
  14. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

Finished To the Lighthouse. It was utterly gorgeous and a masterpiece. Reading a majority of it on a beach house deck, where I could hear the waves not too far from me, was one of my favorite reading experiences I've had in a very long time.

15. John Lopiano

aka Broken Parachute Moderator

Picked this up today. I’ve been reading good things about it.

Attached Files:

16. wisdomfordebris

Moderator Moderator

I got about 200 pages into A Brief History of Seven Killings, and I don't think it was for me. Taking a break - possibly forever - in favor of Ocean Vuong's novel which I had no idea existed until last night.

17. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

On Earth We're Briefly Gorgeous is breathtakingly incredible. Man, I wish I could experience that again for the first time.

Recently started The Cider House Rules by John Irving this week. So far, so good. A Prayer for Owen Meany is a favorite-took a long time to come together, but well worth it. I expect this will probably be similar.

18. wisdomfordebris

Moderator Moderator

Yeah, I have no idea how I missed it. Big fan of his poetry.

I'm sitting here reading it to some Bing & Ruth and I've already cried twice, haha.

OotyPa likes this.
  19. I loved On Earth We're Briefly Gorgeous so much

20. chewbacca110

He wrenches on it. He thinks it's his.

200+ pages into NOS4A2 by Joe Hill, Stephen King's son. It's been a while since I've read a massive novel (this is pushing 700) and it is flying by. Really entertaining and engaging writing.

Colby Searcy and a_cuppa_joe like this.
  21. Colby Searcy

Joe Hill is one of the best

22. chewbacca110

He wrenches on it. He thinks it's his.

I'm really enjoying this. Might check out some more of his work. Have any recs after NOS4A2?

Colby Searcy likes this.
  23. Colby Searcy

I'm most familiar with his Comics work, I've only actually ever read his short story collection called Strange Weather. I hear The Fireman is his magnum opus to this point though.

I would definitely recommend Locke & Key and Strange Weather though

chewbacca110 likes this.
  24. Kellan

@kellanthomas Prestigious

I’m hoping we get a ton of great books next year after all the time spent at home this year. Maybe even TWoW?? (haha jk)

I just ordered John Ajvide Lindqvist’s most recent collection of short stories. I’m really hoping he comes out with another novel soon, the last that was translated into English that I can find on Amazon was Little Star in 2011.

theagentcoma likes this.
  25. Vivatoto

I Am Behind You came out in 2016, I just read it and it's incredible, Little Star is my favorite of his but it was a close second. It's like a horror Lost, but good.

chewbacca110 and Kellan like this.