Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Book Thread Book • Page 105

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Melody Bot, Mar 13, 2015.

1. DickyCullz

I create content for some of your favorite artists

The Ninth House by Leigh Bardugo. I used to get through about a book a week when I was taking public transport to work

Colby Searcy likes this.
  2. Colby Searcy

Is admired for his impeccable (food) tastes Prestigious

How was that, I keep seeing it pop up for me

3. DickyCullz

I found it enjoyable, but its not very memorable. feels a bit low stakes, and some scenes seem a bit gratuitous just to make it her first "adult" book

4. Ducks, Newburyport totally rocked. i loved it. it consumed me for a whole month but it felt so fluid and natural and not at all arduous really. honestly a joy to read and a really fascinating representation of a modern, personal, everyday anxiety.

5. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

hi guys, been blowing up the Writing thread lately so I don't want to post this there quite yet.

A short fiction piece I wrote is being featured in a literary anthology alongside 24 diverse stories. In case anyone is into collections, or is looking to support a fellow choruser, please preorder a copy (or share the link with people you think may be interested). I'm extremely proud of this achievement and it would mean a lot :blush:

25 Servings of SOOP Volume One by SOOP Anthology Program

6. that’s awesome!

OotyPa likes this.
  7. Donnie Ruth

Trusted Supporter

Waiting on 2 books to ship out for this pandemic:

Wanderers by Chuck Wendig

She Has a Broken Thing Where Her Heart Should Be by J.D. Barker

@Colby Searcy I’ll def let you know how the new J.D. Barker book is once I begin it! Not sure which of these I’ll read first. Wanderers seems to be more of an end of the world book which because I’m fucked up I wanna read that during this crisis.

Night Channels and Colby Searcy like this.
  8. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

Wanderers is one of the most... baffling books I've ever read. Five star plot. Five star writing. Five star characters. One star logic connecting them.

Donnie Ruth likes this.
  9. Colby Searcy

Is admired for his impeccable (food) tastes Prestigious

I actually received a Galley of that book but haven't gotten around to it yet. It's on my list to read this year along with The Sixth Wicked Child.

Since quarantine I've been gravitating towards more graphic novels cuz they are much easier to pick up and put down while dealing with my kids. I do hope to get around to a couple soon though.

Donnie Ruth likes this.
  10. Donnie Ruth

Trusted Supporter

LOL very intrigued now. Glad to hear plot, characters, and writing are all solid for a what 800 page journey?

11. I've been reading anything and everything while staying home:

- Almost done with To Kill a Mockingbird for class. This one never grows old. I'm excited to read Go Set a Watchman for the first time once I'm done.
    - Just finished Twelfth Night. This is another one for class. Teaching this has been pulling teeth; it's definitely one of Shakespeare's weaker plays.
    - In the middle of Diary of an Oxygen Thief. Reading this is like a car crash: it's horrific but I can't stop.
    - Read the first two stories in Joe Hill's latest collection, Full Throttle.
    - Up to the last novel in the second book of the Silo trilogy. Sadly, this entire book, a prequel, has been a grind. Wool's quality was so high that Shift makes me question whether I should even read Dust.

This is all excluding comics and a backlog of New Yorkers. I'm rereading "Song of Myself," too. Trying to get more into poetry, and Whitman has always hit that spot for me. I'm sure there's more, too. :worried::nerd:

Colby Searcy likes this.
  12. sawhney[rusted]2

I'll write you into all of my songs Supporter

Has anyone here ever read The Book of the New Sun? I'm through Claw of the Concilator, but this is such a hard book to get through, the prose is very dense and nothing is explicitly stated. Made reading Dune like reading a children's book lol

13. Dave Diddy

Grief is only love that’s got no place to go Supporter

14. Donnie Ruth

Trusted Supporter

I just filled TWO 18 x 18 x 24 boxes from Home Depot with my books. My girlfriend filled probably 1-2 of her own books.

No idea how we are going to fit all these books into our spare room and how many IKEA bookcases we are gonna need lol

15. Rowan5215

An inconsequential shift as the continents drift.

just finished re-reading His Dark Materials, for the first time since I was like, 14? Remembered bits of Northern Lights and basically nothing after so I was pretty much reading it for the first time. Anyway The Amber Sypglass fucking broke me, excuse me while I sob for a year

16. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

finished Cherry by Nico Walker today -- wild ride, great book, super easy read. definitely recommend it to anyone interested, it's about a veteran in his 20s who comes back from Iraq, becomes a heroin addict, and starts robbing banks to fund his habit. it's definitely a little dark but it's also v funny (imo). it's semi autobiographical and the author wrote it from prison

phaynes12, Colby Searcy and jordalsh like this.
  17. I have picked this up and put it down like 50 times lol. it has a very enticing cover. glad to hear it's good! will have to check it out finally

EmmanuelSCastle likes this.
  18. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

yeah, same actually. I had started it back in the winter I think and i just stalled not that far into it. but I started it over again yesterday and it breezed by, so not sure what that's about. I think it's just a matter of really getting hooked by the narrative and I'd probably say the beginning is the slowest part compared to the rest

Colby Searcy likes this.
  19. DickyCullz

Still working my way through The City We Become, but just picked up Lonesome Dove and I can't wait to dive in

Colby Searcy likes this.
  20. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

yeah, I'm about halfway through this rn. really enjoying it so far. wild that goddamn tom holland is doing this.

21. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

oh man I heard about that and I really don't know if he can do it lol but I'm interested in watching it anyway. not that he's a bad actor but I don't think I've ever seen him play a character like this and there's just such a specific voice to it

phaynes12 likes this.
  22. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

absolutely haha. also, like, his frame is so small. he can bulk up, for sure, but he’s, like, 5’8? not really what i expected haha

23. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

oh i think he'll be okay for size cause he's about the same age as the main character and i remember a few references to his clothes being too big on him cause he's small and getting smaller but also... even if him being small is accurate it still wasn't what i imagined lol so could go either way. trying to stay optimistic about it

phaynes12 likes this.
  24. aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

Finished Missoula a month back. Deeply moving but disturbing book. I honestly think it should be required reading. It perfectly tackles many of the myths ingrained in American minds about rape.

Followed it up with something lighter, Art of Racing in the Rain. It was an enjoyable and easy read, especially since I got my first dog six months ago. But it was not the best transition after Missoula since a major plot point revolves around a false rape accusation. It soured my opinion of the book a little.

Now I'm on to Keith Buckley's debut, Scale.